The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
MrOrange

new front drum brake issues!!!( squealing and dragging when hot!!)

So i just recently purchased my 1969 c10 . The previous owner had told me it needed brakes . After inspection i felt it would be best to replace all the brake components. So i replaced everything lines , drums shoes , hardware , and all the wheel cylinders. the only things i i did not replace was the front brake hoses and the master cylinder. Here lies my dilemma, after a few drives i noticed the brakes were getting hot in the front , then they started to make a very loud squeal, and get tighter as the brakes warmed up. so i took the drums off which were purple (hot) . I beveled the shoes and adjusted them all the way in . It seemed to work for a little while but goes right back to same issues. I need some guidance if possible on what could possibly be the issues. Maybe the Adjusters are on the wrong side?. I am replacing the drums first and swapping the adjusters around to see if it corrects the problems , but once again if anyone has any info it would be much appreciated !!!!!!!!
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: new front drum brake issues!!!( squealing and dragging when hot!!)

Replace the brake hoses. They are more than likely collapsing on the inside and not allowing the pressure to release. They can be bad even if they "look" good. I would replace the one that goes from the rear frame to the rear end as well if it has not been replaced before
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
MrOrange

I think i will try that , because swapping the drums again with new ones and swapping the adjusters from left to right made it worse, and now I've developed either a parasitic electrical draw ,or my wire from batt to starter is too small (8 gauge)? It didn't want to crank after driving for a while and
it inevitability left me stranded earlier. a quick jump got it going tho. Yes its a new battery and yes its putting out 14 + volts when running
Old 08-02-2018, 06:31 AM   #4
richard2717

If it still has the old style external voltage regulator I would check that for voltage leak. It is located up on the driver side radiator support.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
MrOrange

thanks for all the advice everyone. I bought two new brake hoses today and will be attempting to fix my problem so i will update with details when i get it done tonight
Old 08-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
MrOrange

So i think the problem was in the rear ( was adjusted out too far was dragging when hot, but i still changed the front hoses to be safe. unfortunately i have yet to drive it , because the starter isn't working correctly im currently charging the battery as it died overnight (left door open over night) . the current issue i have now is the new starter isn't turning the flywheel and when i crawled under there it looked like the Bendix was stuck on the flywheel , so i added some shims and still same problem, it only seems to work when i have my battery charger on the battery. the battery does show 11.1 volts . any help would be appreciated. before i changed the starter , it would work fine until the truck warmed up
Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
Average Joe

If you end up replacing the starter I would highly recommend a newer mini starter desighn. IIRC I used one for a late 90's 350 in my Nova. They are a bolt in with no shimming. They are at least half the weight, twice the power, and much smaller. I bought mine new from Amazon 4 years ago for less than $90. You may need shorter bolts though.

I fought several shim combinations on a O'reilleys rebuild before I threw in the towel and purchased the newer Hitachi style.

Just my experience.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #8
MrOrange

OK so update on the brakes. found the rear had backed out a few threads virtually seizing the rears up completely .its weird tho considering i could barely slide the drums over the shoes with the adjusters when originally installed. Anyway, so it seemed to be fine after that, but once again after driving for a bit start and stop for like 15 mins ,those damn front brakes started squealing again with a moderate brake pedal effort. i'm so lost now lol. Any wisdom in old school front drums that can be passed down to me would be much

Last edited by MrOrange; 08-06-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:52 PM   #9
Average Joe

When you put the new brakes on, did you put the longer shoe in back?

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #10
MrOrange

yes long shoe in back, it seems to squeal not as bad now that the hoses in the front have been replaced. ive been driving it to and from my shop everyday which is like 5 miles each way , guess im gunna keep on truckin till something gets worse
Old 08-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #11
richard2717

If it still drags in the rear I would still replace the rear rubber hose that goes from the axle to the frame if it is not new. Probably doing the same thing as the front ones were
Old 08-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #12
MrOrange

i already have . the only things that haven't been replaced on the brake system are the master cylinder and the proportioning valve
Old 08-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
If it still drags in the rear I would still replace the rear rubber hose that goes from the axle to the frame if it is not new. Probably doing the same thing as the front ones were
Make sure adjusters are on correct sides.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #14
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
If you end up replacing the starter I would highly recommend a newer mini starter desighn. IIRC I used one for a late 90's 350 in my Nova. They are a bolt in with no shimming. They are at least half the weight, twice the power, and much smaller. I bought mine new from Amazon 4 years ago for less than $90. You may need shorter bolts though.

I fought several shim combinations on a O'reilleys rebuild before I threw in the towel and purchased the newer Hitachi style.

Just my experience.
X2 on the stsrter. The newer small ones don't seem to have the heat soak like the older style.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #15
MrOrange

OK so confirmed . the rear adjusters were on the wrong sides ( i think?). I have yet to have a dragging problem , but ive only put like 25 miles at most on the truck since i switched sides of the adjusters. the new starter i have seems to be a lot better now , especially since i ran two grounds from the battery to both the frame and the engine block , but only time will tell. Im probably going to get a hi-torque starter eventually , but i have more projects to focus on at this time so i am content with how it is now
Old 08-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #16
richard2717

Glad you got the problem solved.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #17
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
Glad you got the problem solved.
X2. ....keep us up to date if things change.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 08-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #18
Suburban Steve

**** WARNING***** the hi torque starters are a PAIN in MY A**..... i cant get it shimmed right at all.... been thru 3 smaller is not better!
Suburban Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:20 PM   #19
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Steve View Post
**** WARNING***** the hi torque starters are a PAIN in MY A**..... i cant get it shimmed right at all.... been thru 3 smaller is not better!
What are you using? I've been using the GM starters. I haven't had to shim any of them.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 08-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #20
Suburban Steve

I bought the one they claim is a replacement for the 69 350... after shimming all... one side.. no shim... im thinking i need to shave some off the mounting blocks... from what i can see. The bendix hits about 1 tooth... hell i wouldnt start either!!!... worse case tomorrow its an old school boat anchor starter... i need to her run before the exhaust gets done
Suburban Steve is offline   Reply With Quote