The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
The Rocknrod
Too Cool For School
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 2,869
LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Anyone else have any experience with an LED light bulb not working and a incandescent bulb working in the same socket?
I have a AAW courtesy light kit I installed recently that works fine if I use a regular bulb but not if I use a recently purchased LED bulb.


The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:31 AM   #2
The Rocknrod
Too Cool For School
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 2,869
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Yes I checked, shown here.
Attached Images
 
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:35 PM   #3
phat69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 41
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Install the bulb and see if the base shows +12v with a tester. The shoulder on the base may be interfering with the socket and not allowing contact at the bottom.
phat69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
Dead Parrot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 1,043
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Double check that the polarity of the wiring you are connecting your kit to matches what the kit wants. Possible a PO made some modifications.

Are the LED bulbs even polarity sensitive? Some are some aren't. Don't want to be chasing a polarity problem if the bulbs don't care.

Could be the circuit you are getting power from wants a certain current draw to go active. The old style turn signal blinker for example. Don't know why a courtesy light circuit would care but stranger things have happened.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
The Rocknrod
Too Cool For School
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 2,869
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Polarity of the wiring is good.
I plugged in an incandescent it works.
See post #3 again, thats the LED bulb, the Incandescent was done the same way. It works both in the plug and on the bench the same as the LED bulb.
I tried 3 LED bulbs (from the same seller though).
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
DLW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 380
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Only thing I can really think of is if for some reason the the nubs on the side of LED are not contacting the ground wire after twisting them in. Is the side nubs shorter or anything different? You could try to just use a test wire from bulb body to ground while in the socket to see. I would just start troubleshooting like that, do the same for power if ground is ok.
DLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:18 AM   #7
Robznob11
Senior Member
 
Robznob11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: brownfield texas (west texas)
Posts: 1,796
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Polarity of the wiring is good.
I plugged in an incandescent it works.
See post #3 again, thats the LED bulb, the Incandescent was done the same way. It works both in the plug and on the bench the same as the LED bulb.
I tried 3 LED bulbs (from the same seller though).
Just checking....you do know that a regular bulb will light up either way the wires are hooked. (Not polarity sensitive) just because it lights with the wires the same direction as the led ....does not mean the polarity is correct. The quickest and easiest test is to reverse the wires on the socket. If that does not work check it is making good connection on the ground. Only other thing to check is if you have a true 12+volts. A regular bulb will light with very little current , many leds will not. They are built for a specific voltage/current flow.
__________________
The Ghost 67 short wide full custom. 550 hp LSX, 4l80E, narrowed 9". Body dropped w/air ride!
........................ ___
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #8
The Rocknrod
Too Cool For School
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 2,869
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
Just checking....you do know that a regular bulb will light up either way the wires are hooked. (Not polarity sensitive) just because it lights with the wires the same direction as the led ....does not mean the polarity is correct. The quickest and easiest test is to reverse the wires on the socket. If that does not work check it is making good connection on the ground. Only other thing to check is if you have a true 12+volts. A regular bulb will light with very little current , many leds will not. They are built for a specific voltage/current flow.
The same voltage shown in post #3 is used on the sockets in the truck, thats an LED being lit in post #3 with the same power used on the truck to light an incandescent. Also I bumped up the amps on the truck just to make sure.
I checked polarity from the socket + and - to the fuse/ground panel. It's dead on, ground to ground, power to power, not switched there. I'm stumped. All I can think of is the little tabs arent making contact well enough in the American Autowire socket on the LED bulbs from China. Not that you can even buy them made in America so thats a mute argument.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #9
DLW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 380
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

As I said in my other post, there is only power and ground, it's not getting one of them while plugged into the socket it seems. You can simply take a separate wire and run it from a good ground, to the bulb body (while LED is in the socket) to test the tab being to short or mis-aligned to contact the white wire tab theory. If it lights up its the ground issue. I just got a similar setup from Ron Francis the other day, doubt I use LED's, but I think I have a couple I can try out.
DLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #10
Robznob11
Senior Member
 
Robznob11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: brownfield texas (west texas)
Posts: 1,796
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
The same voltage shown in post #3 is used on the sockets in the truck, thats an LED being lit in post #3 with the same power used on the truck to light an incandescent. Also I bumped up the amps on the truck just to make sure.
I checked polarity from the socket + and - to the fuse/ground panel. It's dead on, ground to ground, power to power, not switched there. I'm stumped. All I can think of is the little tabs arent making contact well enough in the American Autowire socket on the LED bulbs from China. Not that you can even buy them made in America so thats a mute argument.
You say you bumped the amps up on the truck???? Is the battery dead? Are you testing with a dead battery and charger on it? The only reason I ask is because I had a fellow say his led tails would not light. Come to find out his battery was low so he attempted to check them in the truck and use a battery charger for a little boost. The problem is there is a significant voltage drop in the wiring...especially if it is stock. Leds are also voltage sensitive too. Meaning they need close to full voltage to light. It sounds crazy but I saw first hand ....with a new battery they worked perfect. With that said some leds are more forgiving than others. The square superflux I use now will light with 1/2 to 3/4 voltage. The little cheap 2 leg ones usually do not.
__________________
The Ghost 67 short wide full custom. 550 hp LSX, 4l80E, narrowed 9". Body dropped w/air ride!
........................ ___
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #11
The Rocknrod
Too Cool For School
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 2,869
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

I'm going to use the wire idea from the ground to ground.
I have other LED's light up on the truck, Cab light etc. Suffice it say I'm not using a "battery".
Let you know on the wire.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #12
Robznob11
Senior Member
 
Robznob11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: brownfield texas (west texas)
Posts: 1,796
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Looking at the plastic housing and bulb you are using. It really can only be 3 things...
1. Prong in middle is not contacting prong on bulb.
2. You are not getting a good ground to the housing of bulb.
3. You have the wires backwards.
Your bench test eliminates everything else!
__________________
The Ghost 67 short wide full custom. 550 hp LSX, 4l80E, narrowed 9". Body dropped w/air ride!
........................ ___
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #13
toolboxchev
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: 2nd left past the stump on a dirt road.
Posts: 1,529
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

and the top rated cause of LED lighting not working is wiring is backwards. This applies specifically to DC voltage systems.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #14
Ramjet51
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 97
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Ok Master Chief...I note that youíve got alligator clips during bench test...so if youíve got power on the wires, I agree with others, itís the metal housings thatís the issue. Eliminate them at the end of the wire .... run with temporary clips...itís got to be simple..EMC(SS)...
__________________
You'll never know unless you try
Ramjet51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #15
Ramjet51
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 97
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Ok Master Chief...I note that youíve got alligator clips during bench test...so if youíve got power on the wires, I agree with others, itís the metal housings thatís the issue. Eliminate them at the end of the wire .... run with temporary clips...itís got to be simple..EMC(SS)...
__________________
You'll never know unless you try
Ramjet51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:42 AM   #16
The Rocknrod
Too Cool For School
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 2,869
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Well I'm in Ohio right now so I will be home in a month and figure this out. Thank you for all your help on this. I will check the 'wires backwards' thought on this right away when I get home. It could happen.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #17
DLW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 380
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

If the regular bulb works fine as you said, it is not wired backwards ..

From your test, you know power is bottom, ground is body on both bulbs, and the AA courtesy light kit is wired the same way.

LED just is not getting power or ground from the socket, or, as was mentioned, insufficient voltage for LED, which I only bring up because you mentioned you are not using a battery so I assume you are using a battery charger for all this and that is what the alligator clips are? Just an idea there.
DLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #18
Robznob11
Senior Member
 
Robznob11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: brownfield texas (west texas)
Posts: 1,796
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLW View Post
If the regular bulb works fine as you said, it is not wired backwards ..

From your test, you know power is bottom, ground is body on both bulbs, and the AA courtesy light kit is wired the same way.

LED just is not getting power or ground from the socket, or, as was mentioned, insufficient voltage for LED, which I only bring up because you mentioned you are not using a battery so I assume you are using a battery charger for all this and that is what the alligator clips are? Just an idea there.
Ummmm... this is wrong information....the regular bulb does not care which way the wires are...it will light if you swap it either way. Now if it was a stock housing on a single pole bulb it would be safe to assume that they were correct because if they weren't there would be a short since most stock housing ground to the body some how. But since it is a plastic housing with wires...someone could easily swap them wrong. Everyone said check polarity in the first few post. This did not mean polarity of the bulb it ment polarity of the socket. That is what matters. There is no polarity on a regular bulb!
__________________
The Ghost 67 short wide full custom. 550 hp LSX, 4l80E, narrowed 9". Body dropped w/air ride!
........................ ___
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
DLW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 380
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

I hate putting wrong information, you are definitely correct, thanks for correcting, my bad. You would think I would know better after just rewiring my whole truck.

I guess what I should of said is if the orange wire is ran to power and white is to ground as it should be (it's written right on the wire), then it is not backwards ..
DLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #20
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"
 
GOPAPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nampa Idaho
Posts: 4,822
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

They make flashers for Led and flashers for incandescent. if not mentioned above ..this may be the problem
__________________
If you go to "Regions and Events"part of this forum under "Northwest" there is where you can find all members from Idaho that has listed there,,,,,,,,,,Gopapa Larry
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #21
Robznob11
Senior Member
 
Robznob11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: brownfield texas (west texas)
Posts: 1,796
Re: LED Doesnt Work Incandescent Does

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
They make flashers for Led and flashers for incandescent. if not mentioned above ..this may be the problem
You are correct but those are for blinkers and flashers. Probably not for a courtesy light. But while we are on the subject ....those are polarity sensitive as well and many may find they need to reverse the wires on those as well for them to work. It just depends on the flasher you buy....I had to on my turn signal side using an EZ wiring kit...
__________________
The Ghost 67 short wide full custom. 550 hp LSX, 4l80E, narrowed 9". Body dropped w/air ride!
........................ ___
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com