The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
cyclefreak207

New member from DFW, first truck build not starting where I thought!

Hey everyone, just starting my first build: 86 swb.
First older vehicle I built was a 73 SS nova after I graduated high school, during the $4.00/gallon gas prices. Which lead to me getting into hondas. Had 2 different b series swapped civic hatchbacks, a single cam civic coupe, b swapped crx si, and a turbo '00 Si coupe.

But at the end of the day... they just didn't have character... to someone who knows and appreciates hondas, they were nice cars, but to everyone else, it was just another honda.

Shortly after I picked up an 86 mustang with a 347 stroker mated to a borg warner 5 speed, 3.73 rear end etc. Did an 87+ front end, tail light and quarter glass conversion. It was fun, but everyone and their mom has a mustang..

It was time, I'd wanted a truck since I was a little boy, and I always wanted a square body. Plus I have a kawasaki 636 that's set up as a stunt bike. So having a +13 tooth sprocket in the back makes it a pain to ride to the parking lot to stunt.

I traded my 1997 camry that I've had since I was 15 for the truck, car had just gone over 200k and was beginning to look towards the light haha.

Been loving the truck ever since, and I haven't been this excited on a new project in a while!

To do list in the beginning:
Put new passenger door on and spray flat black to match the rest of the truck.
Put new regulator/motor in driver door.
Get electronic speedo cable to make my speedo work with the 4 speed auto.
Fix the tilt mechanism in my column (column flops, but I have another good column)
Reupholster bench.
Install radio and speakers.
Redo dash with fiberglass as I've seen around this website.
Put my new rally's on when I drop it.
6/8 static drop

Thinking about painting the truck black, glosssssssssy black, and maybe do my panels, dash and seat a charcoal color?
cyclefreak207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
cyclefreak207

Re: New member from DFW, first truck build not starting where I thought!

First day I got the truck
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
77ChevySharkBite

Welcome to the forum!

Sharp looking truck you got yourself man, great start looks solid!

Do you have an specific end goal or just a nice driver, to haul your bike around?

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
cyclefreak207

So like I said in the list above, I was wanting to do the drop as soon as possible and throw the rally's on it, but last thursday while I was driving to work I blew a head gasket which ultimately put everything else on hold. While I was tearing everything apart, hoping I was just going to have to replace the gaskets (which I got in a 42 piece gasket set from work for around $40) Figured since I had them all I might as well do them all while I was tearing it apart.

Once I got into it... decided I'm gonna do a complete rebuild, saw this and almost felt sick when all this muddy brown coolant came out of the water neck/rad hose/ intake mani.

Then once I pryed the manifold off from the 1/8 inch of gasket maker, I saw that the coolant inlets on the heads were full of this junk as well, and the other inlets were FULLLLL of crusty black debris. (4th picture)

Plugs were also ALLLL black (only six in the picture, I dropped 2 in the parking lot lol) and were damp with oil.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Sharp looking truck you got yourself man, great start looks solid!

Do you have an specific end goal or just a nice driver, to haul your bike around?
Thank you sir!
Ultimate goal is just a lowered, rumbly grumbly daily. But figured I might as well do it with a truck instead of another car just for the added bonus that I can haul my bike around, and I've always loved the look of lowered squared!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclefreak207 View Post
Thank you sir!
Ultimate goal is just a lowered, rumbly grumbly daily. But figured I might as well do it with a truck instead of another car just for the added bonus that I can haul my bike around, and I've always loved the look of lowered squared!
I'm in Houston which from Dallas is about a 5 hour trip.

Sounds like a plan to me! yeah these trucks are definitely an addiction I'll say that man, looking forward to more pictures and see this truck come together looks solid.

What kind of motor is in it right now? 350?

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
cyclefreak207

Quote:
I'm in Houston which from Dallas is about a 5 hour trip.

Sounds like a plan to me! yeah these trucks are definitely an addiction I'll say that man, looking forward to more pictures and see this truck come together looks solid.

What kind of motor is in it right now? 350?
Any vehicle I work on becomes an addiction :/ lol
Most of my projects start out with "How can I make this go really fast" without considering the consequences of losing the vehicles usefulness.

What I like about the square is the combination of 'old school'/muscle/lowered like my hondas/but still haul my bike, or pick up parts.

And from what I understand it's a 350, but I need to check the stamp on the back, considering he also told me it was a TH350 trans... but it's a 4 speed, with an electronic connection instead of the screw in cap type.

I don't always downshift when I want to change lanes... But when I do, I make sure it's next to a prius so they know I'm hurting the environment!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
THE "10" SILVERADO

Man, us Texas folk are really taking over this forum. (not that that is a bad thing )

Looks good. Sorry to hear about the junked motor though....I know the feeling. You just want them to last till you get the cash for something else and then boom they go out. At least that's what happened to me.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
Man, us Texas folk are really taking over this forum. (not that that is a bad thing )

Looks good. Sorry to hear about the junked motor though....I know the feeling. You just want them to last till you get the cash for something else and then boom they go out. At least that's what happened to me.
Is that your current truck in your avatar? I think I've seen your truck cruising down rufe snow. My crazy salvadorian ex lives over there so I was always in the area.

I don't always downshift when I want to change lanes... But when I do, I make sure it's next to a prius so they know I'm hurting the environment!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Is that your current truck in your avatar? I think I've seen your truck cruising down rufe snow. My crazy salvadorian ex lives over there so I was always in the area.
Hell yeah man! I'm on Rufe Snow everyday to go to school and all my friends live between North Tarrant and Mid Cities.....so I'm always around there!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
Hell yeah man! I'm on Rufe Snow everyday to go to school and all my friends live between North Tarrant and Mid Cities.....so I'm always around there!
You wouldn't happen to know Courtney Fields would you? haha

Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Any vehicle I work on becomes an addiction :/ lol
Most of my projects start out with "How can I make this go really fast" without considering the consequences of losing the vehicles usefulness.

What I like about the square is the combination of 'old school'/muscle/lowered like my hondas/but still haul my bike, or pick up parts.

And from what I understand it's a 350, but I need to check the stamp on the back, considering he also told me it was a TH350 trans... but it's a 4 speed, with an electronic connection instead of the screw in cap type.
Yeah well the bonus of a truck is you can make it as fast as you want, just have to ask will it be streetable

Yeah I mean I want torque but my idea of American Muscle is a loud car/truck, with a nasty cam, supercharged, and well that's what I'm going for on my truck.

I hope it is man! I was told mine was a 350 but when my cousin came to look at it to fix something I found out it was a 305 that was a sad day

Yeah us Texas boys are slowly starting to take over the build thread section

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Yeah well the bonus of a truck is you can make it as fast as you want, just have to ask will it be streetable

Yeah I mean I want torque but my idea of American Muscle is a loud car/truck, with a nasty cam, supercharged, and well that's what I'm going for on my truck.

I hope it is man! I was told mine was a 350 but when my cousin came to look at it to fix something I found out it was a 305 that was a sad day

Yeah us Texas boys are slowly starting to take over the build thread section
Finally, a place where everyone understands my view... the compromise between a muscle car/truck. lol

Old 06-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
cyclefreak207

And you can see my FILTHY intake mani and carb, think I'll clean them up as best I can and hit them with a wire wheel and sandpaper to try and shine them up a little bit to match the air cleaner and valve covers.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Finally, a place where everyone understands my view... the compromise between a muscle car/truck. lol
Yes we are our own family where we understand our issues and all we want to do is have cool trucks to do in, and you can't forget have to show them off to the world because we built them.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
cyclefreak207

I've also noticed on this forum, everyone throws their opinions out, and no one gets butt hurt, I don't see a lot of bashing, or hating on anyone elses ride.

All the Honda forums are packed with douchers arguing about why their setup is better, and how much faster their car is, or how much better it looks than someone elses...

And for extreme bashing, get on one of the stunting forums: stuntride or stuntlife.. Gets real in there!! lol

I like that I don't see that here.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
I've also noticed on this forum, everyone throws their opinions out, and no one gets butt hurt, I don't see a lot of bashing, or hating on anyone elses ride.

All the Honda forums are packed with douchers arguing about why their setup is better, and how much faster their car is, or how much better it looks than someone elses...

And for extreme bashing, get on one of the stunting forums: stuntride or stuntlife.. Gets real in there!! lol

I like that I don't see that here.
Yeah typically there isn't a lot of bashing or hating, but it does happen occasionally and there are some that have there own views of way things should be done but oh well, everyone on here that I've dealt with has been nice, and helpful and the knowledge that's on here is crazy.

Sadly I can see that, the way I view it is I'll build my truck the way I want it, you can do yours, your way but I'll admire it but if I don't have positive feedback to say you've done a great job I'm not saying nothing, but there's yet to be a truck that I don't admire the work because everyone has there own personal touches that makes there truck, their truck.

Oh I can only imagine what that is like

Yeah man it's a lot of great people that are here to help and learn, about what our passion is, which most of us are our trucks. There's some sweet trucks you can find on here too man not just squares but others, glad your here joining us man looking forward to your build and plenty more comments

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
cyclefreak207

I'll have some more progress updates for yall tomorrow, unfortunately since I just moved to duncanville I don't have internet or anything at the apartment, so I can't update pictures or anything from my phone, so I'm restricted to work or if I run up to the business center at the apt. complex.

Luckily the two ladies up in the office don't get on me about working on stuff in the parking lot because I work on theirs too lol

Old 06-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
77ChevySharkBite

Sweet sounds good man! I'll be looking forward to them!

best kind of favor to have is that you work on others so they can't get mad!

Again welcome to the forum, I'm subscribed for the ride, and enjoy all the knowledge. I know its an overrated statement used but there really isn't a stupid question that goes unasked especially here man, so if you have troubles post it up and someone will help you out

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #20
cyclefreak207

Yea, I have no fear asking anything on here! even if it's super common knowledge for everyone else haha

and it doesn't hurt that I work at LKQ, so I get them parts that they can't normally get their hands on without going to a dealer and cutting a hole in the bottom of their wallets! lol

Old 06-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #21
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

looks like I good start! sorry bout the motor I been threw 3 myself!! lol I had a built 355 in a one point an I could beat a few Hondas at the local street races pm me if u get around to the lowering kit n rallys I got mine off my truck
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #22
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
looks like I good start! sorry bout the motor I been threw 3 myself!! lol I had a built 355 in a one point an I could beat a few Hondas at the local street races pm me if u get around to the lowering kit n rallys I got mine off my truck
Definitely will do sir! got some surcharges i'm still working around, state of TX likes their money on time :p

What kinda lowering kit you got? And I have a set of 15x8 steels, the four slot ones, with rings and caps off craigslist a month or so ago for $100

Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #23
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

I feel ya! I got 5/7 drop on mine n i have truck rallys 15x8 and 15x10
Posted via Mobile Device
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
cyclefreak207

So you're wanting to get rid of it? lol and what brand is it?

Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #25
cyclefreak207

Got my heads off last night... gaskets were pretty bad.. almost looked like they were reused and had silicone in spots where the gasket was worn down... which i'm sure led to it looking like this...
Attached Images