The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2002, 08:54 PM   #1
jiggs
poker face

air bag ride quality

I am curious about the ride quality of a bagged suspension. I don't think it is the road I want to travel down with my truck, but I would like to know. I was in a hydraulic '64 Impala a few times and my butt was sore after about 10 minutes. It looks good and was always attracting attention, but the ride was terrible. Are bags for show only or is there some ride quality to it as well. How do they handle twisty roads, bumps, etc..
Old 08-13-2002, 01:49 AM   #2
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Thumbs up

A top notch air suspension will provide excellent ride quality. A 4-way setup is best for handling! Hydraulics/air cylinders are a much different design, and are crap! My friend has a bagged' 1991 GMC with a complete www.RideTech.com kit and it will out-handle his wifes BMW M3. Honestly, it depends on what components are installed. A 4-link setup in the rear is best. Much better than a 2-link in terms of handling ability and ride quality. You can't bolt-on a standard set of bags' and expect to see a great difference. Save enough money until you can do it right the first time!

Here is a link to my friend's website.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx2/1badgmc/
Old 08-13-2002, 03:05 PM   #3
NSANE68!!!
SLICER AND DICIER

Thumbs up

The answer to your question, is air ride is much better than HYDRAULICS. You definatly want to run and independent system, meaning a valve at each bag. No bags don't help handling. That's what anti sway bars do. The bags MAY HELP A LITTLE, but don't expect your ride to handle like it's on rails just cause you threw some air ride on it. It's still a TRUCK. LOL
I have had lot's of experience with bags.
I am doing a air-rod kit on a 95 Civic on fri. I know IMPORT is a bad word on this site, but hey he's a paying customer and that's what counts. Check my site in my sig.
95 Honda 900RR
05 GMC Siearra (company truck)

Last edited by NSANE68!!!; 08-13-2002 at 03:07 PM.
NSANE68!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 03:12 PM   #4
slam33

Bags will give you a great ride, comfort wise but it's not going to out handle a M3. Sorry but bags can't compare to springs in handling and a truck can't (by design) out handle a sports sedan. If that was true, you would see bags in most forms of racing. With 22 yrs of racing and building race cars, bags have never been looked at.

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>
slam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 04:09 PM   #5
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Quote:
Originally posted by slam33
Bags will give you a great ride, comfort wise but it's not going to out handle a M3. Sorry but bags can't compare to springs in handling and a truck can't (by design) out handle a sports sedan. If that was true, you would see bags in most forms of racing. With 22 yrs of racing and building race cars, bags have never been looked at.

His older truck with a different suspension setup may not be able to out-handle an M3---Jason's truck does! A 4-link will ensure that the rear axle stays inline, and the end result is that is stays centered at all times. A 4-way setup will not transfer air from side-to-side like a 2-way, and each bag will maintain constant pressure. Another key to maintaining a compliant ride is to keep the shock absorbers in the front. When paired with a large front anti-sway bar, the truck should handle awesome! Not saying it will out-handle a Vette (Nearly impossible), but all-around it will be great. Slam33 is correct though, steel lowering components will never be replaced. I am installing a Pro-Touring 5/7" drop on my truck, including Polygraphite/polyurethane bushings---I will probably never bag' it.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:59 PM   #6
jay-dawg
chevelito

wow....5/7. I'm guessing 2" spindles, 3" drop springs, 6 inch coils and a 1 inch block.

Do you have to make your own lowering block or are there any aftermarket ones?

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 05:11 PM   #7
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Quote:
Originally posted by jay-dawg
wow....5/7. I'm guessing 2" spindles, 3" drop springs, 6 inch coils and a 1 inch block.

Do you have to make your own lowering block or are there any aftermarket ones?

jay

My truck is a 1986---73-87' trucks have leaf springs in the rear, and a few have coils. From the factory, my truck is equipped with a 4-leaf setup that measure 52" (Light duty). I am using DJM 3" spindles, Eibach 2" coils, Smooth-Rider 4" leaf springs, DJM shackle/hanger kit, Doetsch Tech 9-position adjustable shock absorbers, f/r Hellwig anti-sway bars, PST polygraphite front-end rebuilt kit, and a complete polyurethane body mount kit from Pro-Thane. It should handle awesome!
Old 08-13-2002, 05:33 PM   #8
jay-dawg
chevelito

my bad....I forgot you had a later year truck.

but still....it will/would look badass.

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 07:39 PM   #9
jiggs
poker face

Thanks for the info. If I want to handle and not break the bank, I think the spring setup is the way to go. LowC10, what size wheels, tires, and brakes are you going to be running on the pro tour system. I have been planning about the same thing, probably Koni's though.

Last edited by jiggs; 08-13-2002 at 07:42 PM.
jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 10:57 PM   #10
PushinPebbles
My dad's 68

What do you think the big caddy's and lincoln's ride on? ...........................i am/would def. go w/ a valve at each corner
67 C-10 SWB 355 built T-350 tranny hurst shifter 17x8in KMC's on michelins, clear tails and back up lights slammed**UPDATE i have decided on my bag setup and will post further info when i recieve all the parts
88 1/2 ton suburban 4x4 350/700R-4*having a 9 in lift w/ 38 in tires
4 12 inch Lightning Audios
87 silverado 3/4ton jacked up 10-12 inches black and rubberized bed coating 35 in michelans ******************************
Dad's truck
68 C-10 stepside, 468 BB, tubbed, weld wheels, Nason black,lots more
grand dads truck 68 C-10 stepside
fuel inj. 350/700R-4*soon in audi silver*
84 toyota pickup 22R 5 speed 2WD slammed, shaved and all the body lines filled w/ buickGN scoop,bout to be sprayed in 2003 mustang green metallic w/ silver flames
S/N=BIGGYTYME@aol.com
(hydros)
"No fat chics, truck will scrape"
PushinPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 11:10 PM   #11
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Quote:
Originally posted by jiggs
Thanks for the info. If I want to handle and not break the bank, I think the spring setup is the way to go. LowC10, what size wheels, tires, and brakes are you going to be running on the pro tour system. I have been planning about the same thing, probably Koni's though.

I am going to purchase 17x8's for the front and 17x9.5's for the rear. I have not decided on what exact size yet, but for sure a 40 series tire. I'm going to purchase a rear disc brake conversion kit and front upgrade kit with slotted rotors from www.StainlessSteelBrakes.com
Old 08-14-2002, 02:13 AM   #12
slam33

The weight and wheel base of these trucks along with a high center will never allow you to out handle an M3. 4 link is fine but it's a solid rear axel, heavy front a-arms, heavy wheels and tires and 65 % of the weight it up front. I've done sports, prototypes, open wheel, and ralley, both driving and building. It ani't gonna happen. Ford brags about there new sport truck that handles like a vette, right, like a big heavy sloppy vette. Sorry bout the rant but after 22 yrs of this stuff I tend to take it a bit personal.

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>
slam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:32 AM   #13
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Quote:
Originally posted by slam33
The weight and wheel base of these trucks along with a high center will never allow you to out handle an M3. 4 link is fine but it's a solid rear axel, heavy front a-arms, heavy wheels and tires and 65 % of the weight it up front. I've done sports, prototypes, open wheel, and ralley, both driving and building. It ani't gonna happen. Ford brags about there new sport truck that handles like a vette, right, like a big heavy sloppy vette. Sorry bout the rant but after 22 yrs of this stuff I tend to take it a bit personal.

Hey, it's cool! You have more experience than I do in racing. Jason's wife has a BMW M3, and he says, his truck handles better. The wheelbase of a vehicle is not the primary factor when considering it's possible handling ability. (The new Corvette has a wheelbase of 104.5"---Not much shorter than a SWB truck.) High center---Not when slammed or bagged'! I am installing a fuel cell, which will help balance the truck more. You are correct though, it is nearly impossible to make a truck handle like a sports car. Still, if the correct parts are used---You can make them handle very well. There's nothing like a sports car though. My brother has a 2002 Camaro SS/SLP Edition, and the handling is awesome!

Last edited by BaggedC10; 08-14-2002 at 02:40 AM.
BaggedC10 is offline   Reply With Quote