The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
snj8198

choosing a two post lift

Hi gang,

I need help picking a 2 post lift for my up coming shop. What are some deciding factors when making a purchase? The heaviest truck I can think I would have on it would be a 4 door dually square body with a diesel, flatbed, and iron front bumper and winch; perhaps around 8-9,000lbs. Otherwise, my '71 is 6,000lbs. There's gota be more to be aware of tho. Do I choose one a certain percentage over my anticipated max load? Do I need the lift to be tied together either at the top or bottom or both? What are the electrical needs? What am I not thinking about?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: choosing a two post lift

There are quite a few posts already on here that will be of some value to you. Go up to the gray google box at the top of this post and type in "2 post Lift" make sure to click on 67-72chevytrucks.com instead of web and it brings up quite a few of them. Will probably be a quicker way to help you decide.

I got lucky and picked up a 9K 2 post lift off craigs that was in like new condition for about $1k bucks but before that I was in Greg Smith equipment several times looking at their Atlas lifts. The main thing I don't like about the one I have is that it has the floor plate between the posts. Makes it a pain if using transmission jack and other stuff.

Richard
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
snj8198

Thanks Richard, i've been sifting through the search info. I'm building the shop with 16' walls so a top plate will work for me. What I'm not finding is how much over sizing does a guy want in a lift for the load safety factor? For instance: if a truck is 6k and the lift is rated for 6k that lift is working at 100% duty cycle. Do we factor in 10,15,20% over size for safety?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I can tell you from my experience with the 2 post lift. Buy the biggest you can afford. I have had my 2000 K3500 dually 4x4 extended cab on my 9k lb lift. Does it lift it, yes. Do I feel comfortable, no. If I had not found the deal I did I had already set my sites on the 15k lift from Greg Smith equipment. If I had it to do over again I would have passed on what I bought and spent the extra to get the one I wanted, it still may happen. I have 16 ft ceilings as well so there are not any lifts I kn ow of that won't work. I really wanted a 4 post but couldn't justify the floor space for one.

I would not buy anything less than a 9k but that just me.

Richard
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
cg285

if the lift you buy is certified by ALI they are tested at 150% of rated capacity and checked for no deformation.
i just built a new shop with 16'eaves and bought a Forward (owned by Rotary) DP10A with the 2' height extension and truck adapters. a friend of mine in the equipment business says Forward is the best of all the imports.

whatever you decide don't buy one with a bottom plate - you will hate it.
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
snj8198

Good info, thanks guys. I need to hurry up and pick one so I can get the mounting pattern laid before I pour the floor. I'm doing in floor heat so I want to make sure I know where to place the pads.

Symmetrical or Asymmetrical? Pros/cons?
Old 05-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

If you havnt poured your concrete yet I recommend pouring a thick footer under where the bases will sit..I got mine from greg smith..my 2 cents get the extra wide extra tall..power supply is 220v on mine...use big long anchor bolts..I've had many a 4dr deisel dually on mine and its never even complained about lifting...here's the one I have...you'll never regret having a lift..I know i havnt...http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...IDE-EXTRA-TALL
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
cg285

my lift is both Symmetrical and Asymmetrical.

for what it's worth every shop i have built we reinforced the concrete at the lift posts. HOWEVER i once owned a former Scotty's lumber building (think home depot) and i used my 24k 4 post lift (with motorhomes on it) and the concrete was 3.5" thick and not reinforced - no issues.
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
dennislbrooks

I also have a Greg Smith --- 2 post 9000 symetrical 143" inches tall- top crossbar. Mine is 220v and mounted in 5" of concretet floor. It is also attached to the trusses in the ceiling. If you get something long , the tall screw up floor jacks -- front/back --from Greg Smith prevents teetering but also probably not needed. I believe door opening is easier on an assymetrical but I am guessing load is assymetrical also. If installed properly they must be ok as many people have them.

A wide lift will allow easier door opening also as mongo mentioned above.

Beside c5 and c6 vettes ---- arms will not reach lift points----c4 is ok, newer swbs are harder to pick up as you may have to put rear pads on the leaf spring. If I bought again, would probably get an 11K -- more overkill for my needs.

Last edited by dennislbrooks; 05-04-2017 at 10:46 AM.
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #10
snj8198

Thanks for all the good info. I'll definitely have thicker footings poured. The concrete bill is already through the roof so a few more inches won't hurt. The shop floor will be a four inch's thick so should I make the lift pads 6? How much larger do I want the pads to be in relation to the mounting surface?

Are smaller cars harder to lift with the wide lift?

I need a few more pros vs cons about symmetrical vs asymmetrical. I'm still not sure which one is more appropriate when and why.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #11
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj8198 View Post
Thanks for all the good info. I'll definitely have thicker footings poured. The concrete bill is already through the roof so a few more inches won't hurt. The shop floor will be a four inch's thick so should I make the lift pads 6? How much larger do I want the pads to be in relation to the mounting surface?

Are smaller cars harder to lift with the wide lift?

I need a few more pros vs cons about symmetrical vs asymmetrical. I'm still not sure which one is more appropriate when and why.
I've had a 2 post Rotary lift for years and it's the A-symetrical style. The concrete is 6" whereas the rest of my concrete is 4". The rated lift weight max is 7500lbs, so anything I own is fine. I've had suburbans on it and no issues to date. I would also suggest you buy a few rubber pads to lay onto the mounting plates. this keeps it away from metal to metal surfaces. What I've always been told is the symetrical style is typically used for very long wheelbases. What are you planning on lifting?? Also mine is run on 120vac. The arms are telescopic so lifting small vehicles are no problems.

Last edited by my56chevytruck; 05-06-2017 at 10:13 AM.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #12
dennislbrooks

Here is a link for various assembly and requirements for Atlas. You should be able to find info on other brands. I am not pushing Atlas at all. It is just what I have.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Pr...ssembly-Guides
Old 05-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #13
kwmech

I personally would not pic-up anything but a Rotary 10k. A little over kill, maybe.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #14
snj8198

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
I personally would not pic-up anything but a Rotary 10k. A little over kill, maybe.
From what I'm seeing a symmetrical style is probably better for my needs and I agree, I should stay at least 10,000lbs. Since I have the space for the extra wide i think that would be a good route to go especially using the upper tie bar. Now I just need to pic a brand and model.

Last edited by snj8198; 05-09-2017 at 02:24 PM.
snj8198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #15
Pro299

I have a Challenger 10K symmetrical. My heaviest vehicle is a crew cab diesel. About 6K lbs. LWB vehicles will test your resolve when they're up there because the arms must be extended near their max. There's no strain on the lift mechanism, but seeing the leverage on those arms makes me uncomfortable. I also had thicker concrete, about 8 inches, put under my lift area. A lesson learned is to tell your concrete man to keep his saw away from that area where your posts will mount. I had to install my lift posts off from the best alignment in my shop because they scored the concrete right where I wanted the lift. Wish I had been home the day they poured.
Pro299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #16
drfloyd

I have an older style Bishmon 2 post, 12,000 #, asymmetrical lift. Picked it up from a company in Sumter, SC. No idea why someone would trade it for a new one as it is very heavily built. I think I paid around $1200 for it and installed it myself. Asymmetricals are good for opening doors while the vehicle is on the lift but for safety purposes order yourself an adjustable stabilizing rod to put under the back of pickups. It definitely gives peace of mind.
drfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #17
snj8198

To revisit this thread: I finally made my choice; an Atlas 10k lb extra wide extra tall symmetrical.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...IDE-EXTRA-TALL

Anybody have experience with or opinions on this critter?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #18
Robert Haas

My 10,000 BenPack has never failed to make me smile.

Robert Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #19
mongocanfly
Post Whore

^^^^if my shop was that clean it would make me smile to...very nice
Old 08-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #20
wahl4m

ive got a 4 post /i think its the only way to go /sure it takes up a little room BUT it is movable any wherer -even outside - how many times would you like to be able to power wash the bottom of a project car off ?? id only buy the widest/ longest on the market ! if i did a 2 post -before i poured the concrete -id set up the anchors in the floor -that wat id know they are anchored & will hold !!!!seen too many 2 posts fall over ! very un stable ! always buy the jack? supprt stands to be safe !! it might be your or your kids lives you saved !ive got a "advantage " -nice -"wildfire " looks identical -even a "greg smith" is a nice one & they was local to me -no shipping-plus greg always is willing to deal ! my "advantage has been used alot by me & i would never buy a 2 post-too many things can happed -bad !!!!
wahl4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #21
Robert Haas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahl4m View Post
ive got a 4 post /i think its the only way to go /sure it takes up a little room BUT it is movable any wherer -even outside - how many times would you like to be able to power wash the bottom of a project car off ?? id only buy the widest/ longest on the market ! if i did a 2 post -before i poured the concrete -id set up the anchors in the floor -that wat id know they are anchored & will hold !!!!seen too many 2 posts fall over ! very un stable ! always buy the jack? supprt stands to be safe !! it might be your or your kids lives you saved !ive got a "advantage " -nice -"wildfire " looks identical -even a "greg smith" is a nice one & they was local to me -no shipping-plus greg always is willing to deal ! my "advantage has been used alot by me & i would never buy a 2 post-too many things can happed -bad !!!!

If Two Posts Lifts were one thousandth as dangerous as you make them out to be,...there is no way in heck they would be allowed to be sold.

There are hundreds of thousands of them in use every day in this country and around the world.

Just like anything, danger comes from misuse and ignorance.

As far as a Two Post lift falling over,... that is just insane, In nearly 50 years of turning wrenches, I have never once heard of anyone's lift falling over, of course I don't know a lot of idiots but it would take one to set up a lift that could fall over.

4 posts lifts are fine for oil changes and inspections but when it comes to actually working on a vehicle they are nearly worthless.

Now this is just my opinion and it is worth exactly what you folks paid for it. I do hope the OP enjoys his lift and I am sure he will be wondering why he did not get it sooner.
Robert Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #22
drfloyd

I agree. Mine may fall over tomorrow but I use that thing for everything. I have jigs made to lift all sorts of stuff. I use a lot of 500 MCM copper cable, in 100 foot spools. I lift those things to get them on and off my truck. I can promise you, after you've had it a couple of oil changes, you will regret you didn't have it years ago.
drfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #23
snj8198

Thanks for the comments gang. Robert, your picture didn't load or at least I can't see it for some reason.

I have little experience with 2 post lifts but I have enough experiences that necessitated or left me wanting one. I'm building my first shop, 40x50x16, and I'll be darned if I'm wrenching in the gravel any more.

I decided on the 10k, wide, symmetrical because the price difference between 9k and 10k was nothing, the wide allows me a little more wiggle room around the rig, and the symmetrical design seems to be better suited for heavy rear vehicles such as the flatbed 4 door diesel I'm planning for my next build. If this lift is slightly wrong or oversized for my needs so what! Most 9K lb 2 posts seem to be going for around $2k so if I overspent by $500 on this one I could have wasted that money in worse places. Besides that 4 door diesel will be darn near 8,000 lbs so the extra margin will be welcomed.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #24
mongocanfly
Post Whore

snj ..if you havnt bought it yet look into getting the extra tall as well...much easier to not bump your head when fully lifted..
Old 08-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #25
snj8198

i did Mongo, it's the 10k XO, xtra wide and xtra tall. figured why not, I'll have the space and it's really no extra money.