The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2017, 11:35 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

What do you recommend for an air drill?

Beginner here. I've never owned one & don't really know what to look for. My compressor is 13 ga. 5.5 @ 90 PSI. At any rate, I'm hoping to accomplish:

1. Low speed for buffing out our original plastic steering wheels, with white rouge and a buffer similar this http://www.eastwood.com/canton-flannel-buff-wheel.html

2. Long story not short enough, I'm removing the useless aux. tank from my driver. Two of 10 #10 screws wouldn't budge off the cover attached to the bed, so I had to cut off the heads. Either the moderate electric drill won't cut it or it's the Irwin cobalt bits I just picked up, and I'm guessing it's the drill. Anyway, I can't seem to drill out what's left of the screws. Should be easier. High speed better?

3. I don't know, maybe some type of pads on arbors to clean-up up the frame prior to paint. That and all around DIY use.

Thank you.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: What do you recommend for an air drill?

On topic, seems the small die grinders run at a much higher RPM, while they're for lighter projects (i.e., polishing a steering wheel), sound right? Turns out I have an unused Campbell that came with the compressor say 25 years ago........Go figure.

Edit: Solved the problem of removing the screws from the bed. $20 air drill from Harbor Freight and a single cheap Titanium bit. Apparently my electric drill is a bit tired. That and I saw where you should keep your bits cool with water. Okay, I'm 55, and for the life of me don't know why I've done without a $20 air drill
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-01-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

While water will cool a drill bit its not the best choice..get yourself some good cutting oil...makes a world of difference...
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
While water will cool a drill bit its not the best choice..get yourself some good cutting oil...makes a world of difference...
I used both, thank you. Momentarily, I thought I would be able to remove the gas tank bolts. No amount of lubrication would allow that, so I cut & grinded the bolt heads. Now I "have" to pull the sender switch. It's that or have a loose wire, which I'd rather not. Besides, the switch might be why the main tank doesn't gauge correctly.