The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
pcarvallo

starter problem

hello
I'm from chile, and I have a 69 c/10 stepside whit a 350 and th700 trans
Now I have a problem whit my new starter, some times the starter pinion hit the flexplate and in others no problems.
the starter have a 11-Tooth Pinion and is for 168 tooth flexplate.

same help please, I don't know how resolve the proble.
pcarvallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: starter problem

Reemplazaste el solenoide del arranque tambien?
Did you replace the starter solenoid also?
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
pcarvallo

hola, el motor de partida (starter) es completo nuevo.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
clinebarger

Unfortunately....I don't speak Spanish.

I am tasked with performing MANY starter/flexplate repairs when replacing/rebuilding automatic transmissions. As I am thrown to the wolves on diagnosing this very issue......This is my Opinion & Advise!

Check the Block for cracks on the starter pad, Chase the two straight across holes with a 3/8-16 thread chaser, Remove ALL the paint from the starter pad.

This requires a 153 tooth Flexplate! 2 piece rear seal flexplate application.....1983 Chevy Caprice 305/700R4.

Purchase a AC-Delco part# 19133944 starter for a '92-'96 Corvette, You will also need starter bolts for the same application.

Fitting the starter to most earlier blocks requires some modifications, See the pictures.....Fit the starter to the block as some engine blocks are cast differently at this location!

*I used a common bi-directional flat file to clearance the starter housing.
*I use a Air powered cut-off wheel/Radiac to clearance the engine block.

You can use a combination of the two, Or one or the other....Depending accessibility & preference, A guy with a rare engine block doesn't want you cutting chunks out it

Enjoy exceptional starter life, Increased cranking RPM, No broken Nose Cones, No hanging bendix/drive, Greatly reduced flexplate/ring gear wear, NO shimming, And the cool sound of a true gear reduction starter!!!

I installed one on a 402 BBC in a '72 C10 that has been trouble free for 13 years now that gave the owner/dealer starter issues since the truck was new. Just about every aftermarket starter that was available at the time was tried on this truck including a high dollar Tilton!

The pictures are of a starter install on a '84 Cutlass Supreme 1-piece rear seal 350/200-4R that had several starters installed with subsequent failures until I FIXED it!

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:16 PM   #5
68gmsee

Clinebarger, seems like the poster from Chile has good understanding of the English language and from from my understanding his problem is that it is engaging some times but not all the time.

From my experience it has been caused by one of several things. Flexplate or starter drive stripped teeth, worn or defective starter drive gear, bad and/or new defective starter solenoid.

My recommendation would be to check for broken or worn teeth, cracked or warped flexplate and if all checks out, return the starter as new defective.

BTW: great write up on eliminating pesky starter problems. One question, though. Are you saying that the 168 tooth flexplate won't work with the Corvette starter or suggesting that the 153 would be a better fit? Reason I ask is I am working on a 350 with a 168 tooth flexplate and I was thinking of using one of the lighter new starters with it.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
Old 07-16-2017, 11:40 PM   #6
68gmsee

pcarvallo, parece que entiendes el Ingles bien. Mi Espanol es a la moda "pocho." : )

De todas maneras siguiendo con tu problema, dale una buena inspeccion al motor de arrnaque/partida y al volante (flexplate). Asegura que no ay dientes quebrados o pelados y que no esta deformado el volante. Si todo eso esta bien, probablemente el motor de arranque esta defectuoso.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
pcarvallo

thanks for all answer, I'll check the pinion starter.

and no problem whith english, I can read easily.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:58 PM   #8
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Are you saying that the 168 tooth flexplate won't work with the Corvette starter or suggesting that the 153 would be a better fit? Reason I ask is I am working on a 350 with a 168 tooth flexplate and I was thinking of using one of the lighter new starters with it.
The '92-'96 Corvette Starter REQUIRES a 153 Tooth Flexplate!

I'm going to state this for others looking at this thread......
To use a 153 Tooth Flexplate with a TH400 transmission....You must use a TH350 converter or a converter with a 10.75" bolt circle. It will NOT accept a 11.50 bolt circle converter!
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
The '92-'96 Corvette Starter REQUIRES a 153 Tooth Flexplate!
Got it. Thanks.