The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #26
forestb

Re: Window felt weatherstrip (beltline weatherstrip)

Does the top mettle bead sit above the edge of the window? Do you know what brand they are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I got a complete set from brothers no issues got a set of fuzzy's from LMC for something else and they suck, im sending them back and ordering from brothers
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #27
nsb29

yes they did but I don't know what brand will have a set In 4 or5 days will let you know when they get hear
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:12 PM   #28
forestb

great thanks
Old 11-05-2016, 01:55 AM   #29
RBW

Quote:
I got a complete set from brothers no issues got a set of fuzzy's from LMC for something else and they suck, im sending them back and ordering from brothers
I see them on the Brother's site for $29.99, but it doesn't say if this is for one or both doors. Do you know?
RBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #30
Mjminino

IDK about Brothers, but my truck was in an accident and I had to replace those fuzzies, I ordered a set from LMC and it came as a pair for both doors
Mjminino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #31
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBW View Post
I see them on the Brother's site for $29.99, but it doesn't say if this is for one or both doors. Do you know?
both doors 4 pieces
Old 11-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #32
theastronaut

We own a glass shop that specializes in older cars/trucks. A lot of times we make our own inner/outer wipes if we can't get the right parts. We also don't always use the supplied clips, but instead take them off and use #4 screws, 3/8" long with a countersunk head. We position the felt, clamp it in place, and drill a 5/64" pilot hole. The screw heads bury deep enough into the felt that you don't have to worry about the head of the screw scratching or breaking the glass. This lets you position the felt where you want it instead of relying on the clips to locate it. I just did this with my '66 C10 and it worked great; it actually pulls the felt tighter against the door so that there's more room for the bottom channel to fit between the felt and the glass is easier to roll up all the way. The channel fitting between the felt is normal on these trucks, but the felt has to be tight against the door and can't be to thick or else the channel won't fit. The holes that the clips fit into are usually messed up on these trucks as the bottom edge around the hole is really flimsy, so screws are usually a better way of fastening them.

I might be able to get the owner here to make a small batch of properly fitting inner/outer wipes within the next few weeks. They have a stainless bead that won't fade over time and we have jigs to properly shape them. We can also supply the correct screws if you prefer to use screws instead of clips.

Link to the screws we use:

http://www.dixied.com/product3979.html
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #33
RBW

[QUOTE=theastronaut;7761011]
I might be able to get the owner here to make a small batch of properly fitting inner/outer wipes within the next few weeks. They have a stainless bead that won't fade over time and we have jigs to properly shape them. We can also supply the correct screws if you prefer to use screws instead of clips.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing a set.
Thanks,
Randy
RBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #34
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
... so that there's more room for the bottom channel to fit between the felt and the glass is easier to roll up all the way. The channel fitting between the felt is normal on these trucks, but the felt ...
I haven't got my glass yet, but on this issue - could you buy like 1/4" or so taller glass and have it installed?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #35
theastronaut

We cut flat glass so we could cut it taller... The problem with that is it wouldn't roll down all the way, the stop at the bottom isn't adjustable so you'll have the glass sticking up above the felt/door edge when it's rolled down all the way. If the proper felt is used the glass should roll up all the way.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #36
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

I would be interested in a couple of sets.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #37
andyh1956

I don't understand the screw fastening you are describing. If the screws go into the same lip as the clips used to go into then how do you get a driver in the gap to set the screw? Do the screws go into both inner & outer flanges the clips used to go into? How do you drill the holes for the screws?
Thanks.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #38
nsb29

I might be able to get the owner here to make a small batch of properly fitting inner/outer wipes within the next few weeks. They have a stainless bead that won't fade over time and we have jigs to properly shape them. We can also supply the correct screws if you prefer to use screws instead of

I would like a set if that works out
Old 11-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #39
forestb

I tried to install the ones from brothers and they are the same as the ones from Steel Rubber products and LMC. They are all horrible. The clips they use are just the same and are impossible to remove without destroying the clips. I can not figure out why they don't even make the clips like the originals. They are also to long on the end that has the curve. So I had to trim it. This sucks. I am trying to install the ones that are meant for a 60-63. I wonder if the people that have had success with any of these products bought the ones for a 64-66.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #40
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I tried to install the ones from brothers and they are the same as the ones from Steel Rubber products and LMC. They are all horrible. The clips they use are just the same and are impossible to remove without destroying the clips. I can not figure out why they don't even make the clips like the originals. They are also to long on the end that has the curve. So I had to trim it. This sucks. I am trying to install the ones that are meant for a 60-63. I wonder if the people that have had success with any of these products bought the ones for a 64-66.
the ones I got from LMC did not have the chrome bed, steel is known for there rubber they probably buy there fuzzies from a supplier just like the rest of them and may not always buy from the same supplier I hope the ones I just ordered from brothers are the same as the last set
Old 11-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #41
forestb

What year are you ordering them for. The 64-66 might be awesome and the 60-63 horrible.

Quote:
the ones I got from LMC did not have the chrome bed, steel is known for there rubber they probably buy there fuzzies from a supplier just like the rest of them and may not always buy from the same supplier I hope the ones I just ordered from brothers are the same as the last set
Old 11-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #42
nsb29

Quote:
what year are you ordering them for. The 64-66 might be awesome and the 60-63 horrible.
64 66
Old 11-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #43
forestb

I would be interested also. How do you drill the holes and screw in the screws inside such a thin channel? I would need them for a 60-63 though.

Quote:
We own a glass shop that specializes in older cars/trucks. A lot of times we make our own inner/outer wipes if we can't get the right parts. We also don't always use the supplied clips, but instead take them off and use #4 screws, 3/8" long with a countersunk head. We position the felt, clamp it in place, and drill a 5/64" pilot hole. The screw heads bury deep enough into the felt that you don't have to worry about the head of the screw scratching or breaking the glass. This lets you position the felt where you want it instead of relying on the clips to locate it. I just did this with my '66 C10 and it worked great; it actually pulls the felt tighter against the door so that there's more room for the bottom channel to fit between the felt and the glass is easier to roll up all the way. The channel fitting between the felt is normal on these trucks, but the felt has to be tight against the door and can't be to thick or else the channel won't fit. The holes that the clips fit into are usually messed up on these trucks as the bottom edge around the hole is really flimsy, so screws are usually a better way of fastening them.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #44
andyh1956

Quote:
I would be interested also. How do you drill the holes and screw in the screws inside such a thin channel? I would need them for a 60-63 though.
My question xactly!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #45
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
My question xactly!
Me too.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #46
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Me too.
me 3
Old 11-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #47
theastronaut

You have to drill into the flange at an angle, no room to go straight in.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #48
The Rocknrod

Page 499 of the Auveco catalog has some interesting clips that could be used on the felts (or newly made sweepers for the outside) . . . maybe.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #49
Chevystep

Quote:

This is kind of the idea I was thinking of in an earlier post. In fact, have you tried using the plastic body fasteners that have the rings of plastic on them? I was thinking if you have a good piece of late model beltline weatherstrip with the felt inside and the rubber squeegee that even went out over the top door edge, you could locate the factory door fastener holes, drill the weatherstrip accordingly and press in the fastener. With the plastic head it wouldn't ever mar the glass and would probably stay in place for a while...
Chevystep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #50
Chevystep

And got a picture of what your 66 window strip looks like? Thanks!
Chevystep is offline   Reply With Quote