The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2018, 07:16 AM   #1
Project86

Building your own sheet metal bed floor

Has anyone ever done this?
I have a 86 I’ve been prostreeting for quite some time

I’m thinking about doing an aluminum sheet metal bed floor and getting rid of the stock floor

I have a 15gal fuel cell sitting on top of the back portion of the bed floor just behind where the tail gate closes. And I also have my battery relocated to the forward passenger side of the bed.

I plan on doing the floor, and dropping the fuel cell down a bit. As well as making a drop down battery box that is properly bolted down and secured instead of the eye bolt and strap method I’m currently using

Anyone have any ideas? Especially when it comes to maintaining a factory like height and still utilize the frame bed mounts properly
Posted via Mobile Device
Project86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
cerial

Re: Building your own sheet metal bed floor

I reused my factory holes and moved my cross beams forward or backward to allow a section of L to be welded to the side of my cross beams then laid the long beams on top.

You have a good 3" to work a wrench under the bed and onto that bolt. The bolt at the front of the spring (2nd set back) either requires a long bolt or using a short bolt and 2 wrenches. I went with a short bolt there.
1985 K20 Winter beater
1991 R30(squarebody) c/c flatbed towrig
1994 s10 80"wb custom build
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:38 AM   #3
Project86

Re: Building your own sheet metal bed floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
I reused my factory holes and moved my cross beams forward or backward to allow a section of L to be welded to the side of my cross beams then laid the long beams on top.

You have a good 3" to work a wrench under the bed and onto that bolt. The bolt at the front of the spring (2nd set back) either requires a long bolt or using a short bolt and 2 wrenches. I went with a short bolt there.

ah. makes sense. so you utilized the original bed mounts on the frame, just made a support that bolts to it
Project86 is offline   Reply With Quote