The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
vintage_car

6v to 12v swap- coil/alt. question

Can you use the 6v coil on a 12v system upgrade? If not, what is an advisable coil to get? I read I can keep the 6v foot starter, I want to convert to a 1 wire altenator as well, but looking for a decent priced bracket to hold the alternator.

Does anyone offer a belt or have a belt size for the 235 with an alternator swapped?

this is on a 1950 chevy 3100- engine is a 1954 235
vintage_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
raycow

Re: 6v to 12v swap- coil/alt. question

No, you have to replace the coil. My choice would be a "no resistor" 12V coil if you are going to keep your original starter, because it will simplify the wiring. Most "real" parts stores will have these for use on farm and industrial engines. The hard part will be to find a partsperson who knows what you are talking about. He will need to be a good bit older than one of the barely legal zitfaces who populate Autozone and other similar stores.

You can modify the stock generator bracket to mount an alternator. It has to be moved forward (new holes) to line up the belt and you make a spacer out of pipe to take up the extra room at the rear.

For the belt, run a tape measure around all the pulleys to get the length, and measure the top of the groove to get the width. Here again, you will need a partsperson who knows a little more than how to look up "year, make and model" on a computer.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
vintage_car

When you say "no resistor" do you mean no internal resistor...or no resistor at all, not even external resistor coil.

thanks for the bracket info...I jus tneed to find a generator bracket now...
vintage_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
raycow

I meant no external resistor required. It should say something like that either on the coil itself or on the packaging it comes in.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote