The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
Redraider

wiring harness info

Hi all,

Have any of you guys used Hot Rod Wires wiring harnesses? I am going to eventually(I hope) start a 51 5 window build. I have no idea on wiring harnesses, quality, number of circuits needed, etc. Any help y'all can provide would help greatly.

Thanks

Redraider
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: wiring harness info

id go with American autowire....make a list of all the electricals youll be running...call and talk to them and they'll recommend what you need...
on my truck I needed 12 circuits and they recommended the 15 circuit system

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #3
dsraven

good advice there. you kinda need to know what you will be running for engine and accy before you buy anything. personally I would get the driveline installed and go from there. sometimes these projects take awhile to get finished and minds change over time. I have seen guys who started out with the stock inline 6 and ended up with a fuel injected v8 with a/c, pdl, pw, air ride etc by the time the project was done. thats a few extra circuits for the different systems compared to the old system with a heater and an engine with a few lights thrown in for good measure. when the time comes also plan on having some good wiring tools around as well. double wall shrink tube, solder, strippers, crimpers, small torch and/or soldering gun, heat gun to shrink the tube, loom, loom clamps, etc etc. it's good to get the engine and trans in so you know where NOT to put the firewall bulkhead etc.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:07 PM   #4
oldman3

Autowire would be my call. Great instructions, run 1 wire at a time, easy to keep neat...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:10 AM   #5
mr48chev

American Autowire and Rebel wire both have great reputations for their tech department and with wiring kits that is a must have thing.

I do see that Hot Rod wires shows a 24/7 tech line. If you like a particular product from I don't see an issue. https://www.hotrodwires.com/

I don't suggest the low buck wiring kits you find on Ebay though. A few years ago I bought one for my little roadster project and it ended up being a very basic kit with a small fuse block an just enough wire to get to the ignition switch, alternator, and volt meter if that. No wires to run any circuits. Simply meaning that there is no free lunch and great deals quite often aren't great deals.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:54 PM   #6
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
good advice there. you kinda need to know what you will be running for engine and accy before you buy anything. personally I would get the driveline installed and go from there. sometimes these projects take awhile to get finished and minds change over time. I have seen guys who started out with the stock inline 6 and ended up with a fuel injected v8 with a/c, pdl, pw, air ride etc by the time the project was done. thats a few extra circuits for the different systems compared to the old system with a heater and an engine with a few lights thrown in for good measure. when the time comes also plan on having some good wiring tools around as well. double wall shrink tube, solder, strippers, crimpers, small torch and/or soldering gun, heat gun to shrink the tube, loom, loom clamps, etc etc. it's good to get the engine and trans in so you know where NOT to put the firewall bulkhead etc.
Heck yes to all of this. Good advice dsraven! I used a generic 22 wire harness and with quality tools and cable ends, I did pretty well. Definitely changed wire routing and cable ends as I bought other things like lights, gauges, engine sensors. You can get pretty far in your build without running a single wire. I'm now working on a 1930 Ford Tudor and probably won't get my wiring harness until after final fabrication and paint. About the only thing after that will be interior panels and maybe seats and a steering wheel.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:11 AM   #7
DransportGarage

I used American Auto Wire's "Highway 22" 22-circuit system. Can't say enough good about it.
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:52 AM   #8
crossfire84

Same here^^
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote