The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2015, 12:14 AM   #101
80SPORT

Re: Decal Replacement/77 Chevy Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadfather View Post
Do you happen to have or know any build data on these trucks? I'm guessing by the lack of information everywhere that they are fairly rare?
I have no reliable information on production numbers.

Very few survive in original form;but because many have been repainted they are hard to ID;The units with the sport bar are easier to id because of the aux light switch on the dash;as far as I know this was the only application that used it.
Based on the fact that they were advertised nationally and seen in magazine road test I would estimate between 1000 and 5000 were built...a big range...but there is no way to verify the number.
80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #102
Breadfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SPORT View Post
I have no reliable information on production numbers.

Very few survive in original form;but because many have been repainted they are hard to ID;The units with the sport bar are easier to id because of the aux light switch on the dash;as far as I know this was the only application that used it.
Based on the fact that they were advertised nationally and seen in magazine road test I would estimate between 1000 and 5000 were built...a big range...but there is no way to verify the number.
Are your estimates for all years of the sport package or just the 77s? As I'm sure you know, there are a lot more pictures of what appear to be 76s floating around but very few 77s and even fewer 4x4 fleet sides. I'm not trying to make my truck out to be something it's not, but I just want to understand what I have. I am still blown away by the lack of information out there, and as I begin to work on it I want to make sure I don't erase a piece of square body history.

At the very least it sounds like I need to see about getting dimensions so I can look into having a "sport bar" made. I guess I will also start seeing if I can track down some original wheels. I am guessing those will be the "easy" parts, as the decals seem to be the most elusive as far as sizing info, and size. Any help you can offer on dimensions would be appreciated.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #103
Breadfather

I contacted the GM Heritage Center about these trucks and despite how helpful everyone was, they didn't have any information on them either. So I guess it will just have to be information that is gathered in this thread.

80sport when you get a chance of you could post dimensions of the tubes for the light bar as well as dimensions of the decals on the 77 step you have. I would surely appreciate it.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:41 PM   #104
75gmc454

Breadfather, Look back a few posts and there are some pics of my fleetside. It is post number 51. It is like your truck, only it is white. I want to put the roll bar back in it also. Mine still has the chevy sport on the bedside. Hopefully I can get those letters reproduced!!
75gmc454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #105
Breadfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmc454 View Post
Breadfather, Look back a few posts and there are some pics of my fleetside. It is post number 51. It is like your truck, only it is white. I want to put the roll bar back in it also. Mine still has the chevy sport on the bedside. Hopefully I can get those letters reproduced!!
Yes, yours is the only close up I have been able to find of the 77 fleet side "Chevy Sport" sticker. There is one photo from 80SPORT that is from the back side and at an angle, that is hard to see of a black one with a light bar as well. It is hard to tell but to me the stickers appeared to have the truck color in the middle of the letters, and a white outline around each letter? I probably won't be starting body work for a few months but I would sure love to get some measurements of the sticker on yours.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #106
chrismoore701

How many and what years had the SPORT hood emblem? I have one one my 79 and that is a real easy way to classify it as a sport. Finishing my frame off and I did change the color, but the hood emblem will be going back on
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #107
Breadfather

Question Re: Decal Replacement/77 Chevy Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
How many and what years had the SPORT hood emblem? I have one one my 79 and that is a real easy way to classify it as a sport. Finishing my frame off and I did change the color, but the hood emblem will be going back on
I'm not 100% sure but I think they were only available from 76-80. I wanna say I remember something about an 81 but I may be mistaken in that.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:43 AM   #108
80SPORT

The 76-77 were COPO builds and did not have a hood ornament.
78-80 used the same ornament and had body colored bumpers with impact strips.
81 used a different hood ornament to fit the new style hood.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2015, 08:16 AM   #109
Racin_jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SPORT View Post
The 76-77 were COPO builds and did not have a hood ornament.
78-80 used the same ornament and had body colored bumpers with impact strips.
81 used a different hood ornament to fit the new style hood.
Is there any info anywhere about mounting one of these to a hood that doesn't already have the holes for it
Racin_jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #110
77 ChevySport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadfather View Post
Do you happen to have or know any build data on these trucks? I'm guessing by the lack of information everywhere that they are fairly rare?
Breadfather: Actually the figures are there to get a fairly close estiment but the task to get them would be daunting. Let's take the 77 Stepside sport for
example(9J8) option. One could get the Canadian figures from GM Canada if
one could get them to find them. Not sure how their computer is set up but
maybe they could punch that option up and the data base would tell them how many where shipped to the Canada Dealer Network in 77. Then one could estimate how many more where shipped to the US Dealer Network. This has
been done with the NCRS for Corvettes. IIRC the estimate when it was done
was 10 USA Corvettes for 1 Canada Corvette. The final figure would of course not be 100% but would be "In the ballpark". Lot of "ifs-ands-and-buts". My guess is that there was less than 100 (9J8) shipped to Canada. Larry
77 ChevySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #111
Breadfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 ChevySport View Post
Breadfather: Actually the figures are there to get a fairly close estiment but the task to get them would be daunting. Let's take the 77 Stepside sport for
example(9J8) option. One could get the Canadian figures from GM Canada if
one could get them to find them. Not sure how their computer is set up but
maybe they could punch that option up and the data base would tell them how many where shipped to the Canada Dealer Network in 77. Then one could estimate how many more where shipped to the US Dealer Network. This has
been done with the NCRS for Corvettes. IIRC the estimate when it was done
was 10 USA Corvettes for 1 Canada Corvette. The final figure would of course not be 100% but would be "In the ballpark". Lot of "ifs-ands-and-buts". My guess is that there was less than 100 (9J8) shipped to Canada. Larry
Like you said, it would be quite daunting and would only be an estimate. I am thinking that the good folks at the GMHC would have access to the same information. They either didn't want to take the time or it isn't there. They did not start keeping great records until the mid to late 70's as far as their website says. But they were able to get the dealer invoice for my truck so I am sure, the information is out there, it's just a matter of being able to navigate their records, and that is not something John Q. Public is able to do.

It is funny, that I knew nothing about the sport package and I've loved these trucks all my life. It took a trip to Manhattan, KS from OKC to buy a slightly rusty replacement for my old blown up 77K10 to put them on the radar for me.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #112
chrismoore701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racin_jason View Post
Is there any info anywhere about mounting one of these to a hood that doesn't already have the holes for it
I replaced my hood and just traced the holes from my old one and made a template. I can do it again if you would like the locations
Old 02-04-2016, 08:34 PM   #113
Nate_from_Utah

Sorry I'm late to this party. I'll try to post pics, but you can go to my Facebook page for 11th Hour Customs, to see the rebuild of the '77 Sport that my dad bought new. Still have the warranty paperwork, and other pamphlets that came with it. The Utah rust has claimed most of the original tin, but it's being put back together with all GM steel. I even got a NOS hood from Jerry Seiner Chevrolet. They forgot they even had it in their warehouse. I wish I could redo the stripes, but being it's going custom, and not stock, I'm painting it back to black, and I'll be pinstriping the body lines with a 1/4 inch version of the original sport stripes. My dad bought it off the showroom at Santa Fe Motors. They asked for it back two weeks later, so they could use it in the 1977 Auto Expo. It had the carmine red interior, rubber floor, just like the one posted here, but mine came with the rally wheels, not the Western white "wagon" wheels.
Nate_from_Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #114
77 ChevySport

Boy I started this post a long time ago; glad it still comes up every now and then. Sorry to report I am no closer now then before in getting a set of spare
Decals for my truck. I coming to the conclusion that no one will duplicate the 77 Sport Truck Decals. Not due to the colors but due to the complexity of the colors blending with each other. To duplicate these would be cost perhibited.
Not giving up though. Larry
77 ChevySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:20 PM   #115
chrismoore701

I thought about taking mine back to original but not very long. Here is how my sport is going to be displayed
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #116
chrismoore701

Here is a pic from when I bought it in 94
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #117
guitarpicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpicker View Post
Attachment 963716 This is My ride
My 1976 copo, truck is original...in pick..51,000 not off frame..have lots more picks, 454
guitarpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #118
E.D.75GMC

Not a truck, but a nice original 78 Sport van at pick n pull today
Attached Images

E.D.75GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #119
AdamFromMissouri

I have a 77 chevy sport. We're very close to getting the decals right off the original pictures of the truck from the 80's. The colors are not high Def at all. If i could take pictures of the truck owned by the original poster I have a friend in a graphics Shop that could duplicate them no problem. I also have a camera that can take good enough pictures to duplicate the stripes from if the original poster would allow access to the truck. I attached an image of mine and the chevy sport decal on the bed is a nos oem decal. This picture was taken today
Attached Images

AdamFromMissouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:35 AM   #120
80SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamFromMissouri View Post
I have a 77 chevy sport. We're very close to getting the decals right off the original pictures of the truck from the 80's. The colors are not high Def at all. If i could take pictures of the truck owned by the original poster I have a friend in a graphics Shop that could duplicate them no problem. I also have a camera that can take good enough pictures to duplicate the stripes from if the original poster would allow access to the truck. I attached an image of mine and the chevy sport decal on the bed is a nos oem decal. This picture was taken today
Yours looks to be equipped with the factory roll bar;Do you still have the SPID in the glovebox?
Old 08-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #121
AdamFromMissouri

The spid has vanished, but could still be found during restoration truck is
Rpo code z77 with 9j9. We have the build sheet and all dealer paperwork. The rollbar is original as well as everything but the paint and decals. I also have another fleet side sport with the dealer option Sport rail but without any paperwork. If the original poster really has an original one i will pay him to take pictures of his truck. We've got the pattern our problem is the colors.
AdamFromMissouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #122
bh86

I have my 76 sport for sale and have a gentleman telling me the sport option was an RPO option not a COPO. Is there any truth to that?
bh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #123
bh86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh86 View Post
I have my 76 sport for sale and have a gentleman telling me the sport option was an RPO option not a COPO. Is there any truth to that?
Anybody?
bh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #124
80SPORT

76 and 77 were COPO ;in 78 the RPO came along as Z77.
COPO codes were were used for lots of fleet and special builds and were not unusual.

What is your 76 like and how much are you looking for it?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #125
80SPORT

Original dealer sheet...COPO 9G4
Attached Images