The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
'65 chevy lover

Wrecked the truck

I was out at my buddies house Sunday working on my truck. While taking it for a short drive, I ran off the narrow assed road into the muddy barditch and ran into a tree. Fortunately I wasn't going very fast But, the impact flung me out of drivers seat into the right door and dash and bent the shifter lever over a little bit. I'm not hurt, but my truck wasn't as lucky. Itook out the front bumper, right front fender, core support, right inner fender, hood, grill support, grill, right rad support brace and cracked the windshield. It also made the right door bind up slightly on the outer rocker panel. I can't believe I'm such an idiot!! I have full coverage insurance on it and wondering if I should turn it in to insurance or just fix it and go on? Anyone have any thoughts or advice? What are these trucks worth? I'm finding mixed results on internet as far as worth. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by '65 chevy lover; 09-18-2018 at 09:55 AM.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
raidmagic

Re: Wrecked the truck

Personally I would just repair it myself. I'd rather not have the claim on my insurance. Sucks to hear, glad you are ok though.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
'65 chevy lover

Forgot to add pictures.
Attached Images

Last edited by '65 chevy lover; 09-22-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
'65 chevy lover

A couple more.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
62chevy302
hillbilly

Man that stinks. If you have full coverage turn it in, just make sure you find a really good body shop. You will want to find a shop that has experience with older cars.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Man that sux! I would agree, fix it yourself. Glad you are ok tho

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
studeclunker

Ah well, you pay for insurance because **** happens. Yes, if you make a claim, they will penalize you. However, if they find out about the accident you didn't report, they will still do the same and you won't be compensated. You pay for insurance for this reason. They are bound by contract to pay, just like you must pay your premiums. Submit the claim.

So very sorry to see this happened. Hope you get your truck back on the road soon.
studeclunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
Grounded63

I had a lady make an illegal left hand turn in front of me earlier this year. Your damage looks more severe than mine, but basically all the same parts, minus the hood and windshield. But my drivers door was F'ed also. My '63 is also far more patina-ed looking than yours. Her insurance company valued my truck at 5,200ish with damages estimated at 4,800ish iirc. Hope that helps some.

Basically the truck was considered totaled. So they were not going to fix it, even if it was already in a shop. And paid out a percentage based on total value. So I'm guessing yours will probably also be considered a total also. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on how titles are handled in your state.

Last edited by Grounded63; 09-18-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Grounded63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #9
'65 chevy lover

Thanks to all for the well wishes and info. Yes, I'm pretty dang lucky that I wasn't hurt especially after contacting the shifter and bending it. As Far as being totaled, can the state refuse to license it because it was considered totalled even though it was repaired?
Old 09-19-2018, 12:02 AM   #10
AcampoDave

Sorry man, but you're ok. Having been "T-boned" on the passenger's side in a classic truck I know what happens inside of that cab. Please, consider some seatbelts when you do your repairs. I was wearing a lap belt when I crashed and although it totally bruised up my entire lap and groin, it held me in the truck, I do believe it saved my life. I remember my door had flown open and I'm so glad I didn't fling out onto the pavement only to get run over by my own truck. If you have a good insurance agent, consider talking it over with him. A real agent looks out for your best interest.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 09-19-2018 at 12:18 AM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:20 AM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Glad to hear you are OK, but agree on installing some seat belts. Whether to turn it into your insurance depends on what sort of coverage you have. Does your insurance cover the actual full value or just what the going cost is for a '65 C10 in your area?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:35 AM   #12
Grounded63

No, it won't show up as a totaled / salvaged vehicle. Unless you give up control of the vehicle / paperwork / ownership, and it is processed through the " system "

If your insurance company determines your vehicle is totaled. Its based on total value vs cost to fix. Not because there was significant damage to drive train, suspension or passenger compartment. The only thing that will show up, is that an insurance claim was paid out on that vehicle. As long as you don't give up possession of the vehicle or paperwork.

If your vehicle is determined to be totaled by your insurance company, according to them. They will say its valued at x,xxx. They will basically be buying your vehicle from you for that amount minus your deductible. BUT, your not required to give up your vehicle to them. Tell them you want to keep your vehicle. It's sometimes referred to as buying your vehicle back. They will then asign it a scrap or savage value. They will deduct that salvage value from the claim amount also. ( the salvage / scrap value for mine was 350ish ) Thats what they will pay out on the claim. The vehicle and paperwork was never processed completely through the system, because you choose to keep it. So its status will not have changed with the state or dmv. Thats sorta the simplified version.
Grounded63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #13
'65 chevy lover

Thanks everyone! I do believe I will look at getting some seatbelts in the truck. I was at first not going to. But now, after this crash and, seeing what even a very slow speed crash can do, I'm going to at least put some lap belts in. I appreciate all the info and well wishes!

Sincerely,
Bill
Old 09-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #14
CousinTone

First off, I'm very happy you are ok. Now, I would make a call to city hall and ask for the Manager who is in charge of the landscape in your town/city. I'd ask him to cover the damages since it appears that those trees were installed after the road was done so it was "pretty". Pretty-Shmritty, they are an obvious road hazard - you have empirical proof of that! Get city hall to pay, get the full insurance amount and then do it yourself.

Body shops, unless you know the owner, are a bunch of prima donnas who would put Gold Star parts on your repair since they are the new supplier in town and are trying to get some market share by low prices. Unfortunately, my experience with Gold Star is horrendous and it was literally the butt of every joke with my buddy for a month! Glad you are ok, just a bit more work now sourcing and installing parts.

Depending on your insurer, I believe, and others correct me if i'm off here, but you can request that your replacement parts be OEM. Used albeit but OEM. Check your policy and the part on replacement parts. I know one advertises that they search for parts that are authentic but I forget who that was, Hagerty I believe but not 100% sure. You will be charged in the future if they find out and the small increase in your policy would barely be noticeable. Or switch insurers and try going another company for best rates. The tree is 100% at fault here!!

Best wishes in your trek back to awesomeness!!
CousinTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #15
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinTone View Post
First off, I'm very happy you are ok. Now, I would make a call to city hall and ask for the Manager who is in charge of the landscape in your town/city. I'd ask him to cover the damages since it appears that those trees were installed after the road was done so it was "pretty". Pretty-Shmritty, they are an obvious road hazard - you have empirical proof of that! Get city hall to pay, get the full insurance amount and then do it yourself.

Body shops, unless you know the owner, are a bunch of prima donnas who would put Gold Star parts on your repair since they are the new supplier in town and are trying to get some market share by low prices. Unfortunately, my experience with Gold Star is horrendous and it was literally the butt of every joke with my buddy for a month! Glad you are ok, just a bit more work now sourcing and installing parts.

Depending on your insurer, I believe, and others correct me if i'm off here, but you can request that your replacement parts be OEM. Used albeit but OEM. Check your policy and the part on replacement parts. I know one advertises that they search for parts that are authentic but I forget who that was, Hagerty I believe but not 100% sure. You will be charged in the future if they find out and the small increase in your policy would barely be noticeable. Or switch insurers and try going another company for best rates. The tree is 100% at fault here!!

Thanks, I'm pretty lucky to not be hurt at all! I'm insured with Allstate. It's funny( in a way, lol)that you mention that because Allstate said they have to call the city of Justin and offer to pay for damages to their tree! I told Allstate that the tree got the good end of the stick and except for about 2" wide by 12" long patch of bark that was skinned off, it was undamaged. I also told the adjuster they would probably have a very difficult time even finding the tree unless I pointed it out to them because it was out on a country road without any houses around. I'll remember to tell the adjuster about the OEM parts when they look at it.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #16
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grounded63 View Post
So I'm guessing yours will probably also be considered a total.
I agree. If insurance company gets involved, you will end up with salvaged title. If you don't report it, nobody knows, title stays clean. Your just out the price of a front end clip, and future repaint at some point or leave it a primer bomb.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #17
raidmagic

You can't be serious. He ran off the road and hit a tree. They didn't plant a tree in the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinTone View Post

raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:42 PM   #18
lil hoodlum

I wondered if that road was FM 407. I have driven down it a few times and the road really curves and the pavement drops off sharply to the ditch. I nearly took one turn too fast and almost ran off the road myself. I slowed down in a hurry. The road curves are nearly 90 degrees.

Bummer about your truck. Good thing you are ok, the sheet metal can be replaced.
lil hoodlum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:35 AM   #19
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
I wondered if that road was FM 407. I have driven down it a few times and the road really curves and the pavement drops off sharply to the ditch. I nearly took one turn too fast and almost ran off the road myself. I slowed down in a hurry. The road curves are nearly 90 degrees.

Bummer about your truck. Good thing you are ok, the sheet metal can be replaced.
Thanks. It was on Sam Reynolds Rd. It's about a mile or so south of 407
Old 09-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #20
studeclunker

Me thinks mebbie I should have kept me mouth shut! Put my own in a ditch this weekend on the way home from Church. Spent the morning in damage assessment. Looks to be very little seriously wrong.

studeclunker is offline   Reply With Quote