The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
blazer2007

headliner/backing rebuild ?

I have this type of headliner backing material, it,s like layered fiberglass insulation. wondering how I can rebuild the sections where the visors go and have a something that will will work with some sorta adhesive that will stick to my headliner fabric. I know this has been posted before but was hoping on feedback on how it turned out, do,s and dont,s plus alot of the pics are gone from photobucket or who ever it was
Attached Images

blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
blindbug

Re: headliner/backing rebuild ?

Simple. Just put your whole truck on a rotisserie and flip it over. Then layer fiberglass down on the upside down roof of you cab so that it molds right to the contours. So so simple.

In reality, I don't know, but hoping that me 'bumping' this post will find you an answer.
blindbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
stanski

Lay the headliner on a sheet of plywood so its well supported. Use a regular office stapler to hold the loose pieces together. If you need backing to hold things together use the mesh drywall joint tape and staple as needed. Then its fiberglass resin and mat, let harden, clean up with mini disc sander and ready to cover. I've done several.
stanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
TKCR

Mine was a bit messed up there in that are too. I used a little tape to just hold it all there together. But if your actually missing some fiber, you will have to fill it will some spray. They have some that has that fiber material.
Once you recover your headliner with new material, you'll never now it was there. Especially since it's up in that corner, where the visor is.

Here's a pic of another one I did for a buddy, the blue one. It was the same way. This just after getting the new headliner material on and before trimming the excess around the edge.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
blazer2007

Update. Well got it done but didn,t want to spend 60.00 on fiberglass stuff for 2 corners. I tryed the drywall mesh tape and it didn,t work nor duc tape, but I did come across cheap man,s fiberglass on u tube using wood glue and canvas material or any other would work and then laminated them together, some glue then the material then coating the material with glue and can repeat if you need thicker. It worked and is holding nice. Hope this might help someone later
Old 07-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #6
homemade87

Just seen this , I used alum tape that the heating and cooling guys use on the duck work . This stuff sticks pretty good . It rebuilt the hole corner and can layer it to build it back up . The aluminum had some rigidness to it after it has been layered . Worked pretty good . You can work as far back on the headliner as needed and add some material between if needed .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #7
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Just seen this , I used alum tape that the heating and cooling guys use on the duck work . This stuff sticks pretty good . It rebuilt the hole corner and can layer it to build it back up . The aluminum had some rigidness to it after it has been layered . Worked pretty good . You can work as far back on the headliner as needed and add some material between if needed .
Yeah that's the tape I used. When I responded earlier about using a tape, I couldn't remember what kind it was. Yeah, that stuff holds really well.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
blazer2007

just wondering what glue you used TKCR, gor the material
Old 07-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
just wondering what glue you used TKCR, gor the material
This stuff.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #10
blazer2007

thanks ,never seen it before and probably can,t find it in Can. I don,t know if super 77 will hold
Old 07-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
thanks ,never seen it before and probably can,t find it in Can. I don,t know if super 77 will hold
You can get it here, along with your new headliner material. It is specifically for headliners, because of the High Temperatures from the roof.
https://www.yourautotrim.com/auothead.html
Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #12
blazer2007

thank you
Old 07-09-2018, 06:05 AM   #13
homemade87

I use the heavy duty headliner adhesive from the local auto chain stores . Does the job just fine . The one I got was in an orange can and is on the shelf . I think they all have the same thing but in different brands . Just be sure it says headliner on the front and it will be a high temp .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote