The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #51
scootermcrad

Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

These Hedman headers seem to get good reviews around here:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...FQFkhgods5cHyQ

I can get these coated for pretty cheap through my day job for a more resilient finish.

I have a line on a 200-4r that is complete out of a Blazer for CHEEEAAAP! Going to head out Saturday to pick it up. I'm sure it will need a go-through, but the price is right even for a core.

Man... I really appreciate all the help here! You guys have been so helpful!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:44 PM   #52
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcrad View Post
These Hedman headers seem to get good reviews around here:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...FQFkhgods5cHyQ

I can get these coated for pretty cheap through my day job for a more resilient finish.

I have a line on a 200-4r that is complete out of a Blazer for CHEEEAAAP! Going to head out Saturday to pick it up. I'm sure it will need a go-through, but the price is right even for a core.

Man... I really appreciate all the help here! You guys have been so helpful!
No problem brother that is what makes this place the best . Is the willingness to help others
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #53
AcampoDave

Quote:
Whoa! OKAY! Now you're speaking my language! That's a good deal right there. Anyone used one of these?
I run one of those. Using a clutch fan and stock shroud. Never run hot. Even with a/c. American made too
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #54
scootermcrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I run one of those. Using a clutch fan and stock shroud. Never run hot. Even with a/c. American made too
Done and done! I'll go that direction. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #55
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Done and done! I'll go that direction. Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah Acampo Dave is the reason I know about them .... and will be my next Radiator
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:58 PM   #56
AcampoDave

I went with a Hayden heavy duty thermal fan clutch pt # 2747
Old 07-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #57
scootermcrad

Quote:
I went with a Hayden heavy duty thermal fan clutch pt # 2747
Thanks! Good info!
Old 09-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #58
AcampoDave

Any updates?
Old 07-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #59
scootermcrad

Hey guys! Sorry for the absence. I do have an update. I'm finally getting around to this. Mostly I've just been collecting parts and putting out other fires in my life.

I pulled the engine apart yesterday and overall it didn't look too bad, just a little sludgy. Cylinders will need a clean up pass in each and Power Pak heads are in great shape. Didn't drop the crank yet. Crossing my fingers there's no surprises. I know the history of the engine and wouldn't expect any.

I have done a lot of thinking about how this truck will be used. I've pretty much decided not to worry too much about doing any kind of heavy towing with this truck. Maybe the occasional small trailer, but nothing serious. Going to stick to whatever I can fit in the bed, which would be gravel, dirt, lumber, etc., within it's limits. The truck will end up being daily driver capable, and still going for that late 60's vibe.

I've collected a handful of parts for the build, already. Edelbrock Performer intake and carb (I think it's a 1406. Need to look again), original Mr. Gasket C10 full headers (thanks to my good buddy Kasey!). I may have already mentioned the TH200-4R. That too.

I've decided that I'm going to just stick with the Power Pak heads. I have them, they're complete and in good shape for rebuilding, and it doesn't seem like there's a huge advantage for me to swap to 305 heads for the final plans I have for the engine.

Definitely going to do a cam swap, since I'm going to be in there. I like the feedback I've hard on Summit's cam and lifter kits. I'm thinking the 1102 or maybe even an 1103, if the stock rear gearing will be a decent match for the setup. Any repercussions to stock pistons, stock valve springs, or any other considerations for these cams?

For the distributor, I'm thinking of keeping the stock type dizzy and installing a Pertronix conversion. Seems like they work well, priced well, can keep the stock style, and would handle anything I would be throwing at it.

So that's where I'm at! Time to get the rest torn down and reach out to some machinist contacts for block and head work.

Last edited by scootermcrad; 07-30-2017 at 12:17 PM.
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #60
rvrfoot

I am rebuilding a 1961 impala with the stock 283 motor.I am looking for up grades also.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:25 PM   #61
andyh1956

I can give you a recipe for a 283 that I guarantee you'll like. Just like I posted earlier. Basic block assy w/ the power pack heads you already have. The stock dist w/ a petronix & recurve kit will do fine. I always used Headman headers. A set of z28 valve springs & retainers, a double roller timing chain, and a z28 hp spring for the std volume oil pump. A stock iron 4 bl intake w/ a Rochester 4-jet carb. For a cam use the old 350 / 350 cam pn 3896962. It will have a slight lope at idle & pull from the time you touch the throttle. If you can afford them a set of two valve relief pistons will give a slight comp increase or you deck the block .010" or both.
This will build a really good running 283.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #62
GMDad

That #3896962 cam is a good choice. It first came out in the 1974 Z/28. Sold lots of them at the dealership. The earlier 327/350 HP cam #3863151 was a little more radical and it worked excellent in the small cube motors.
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:02 PM   #63
AcampoDave

Are you putting the oil fill tube in the intake? If you do, and you put a breather cap on top, you can hide a p.c.v valve in the old style street breather hole by putting a rubber grommet in the block. Then you can use old school valve covers and still have efficient engine ventilation.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:06 AM   #64
scootermcrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
I can give you a recipe for a 283 that I guarantee you'll like. Just like I posted earlier. Basic block assy w/ the power pack heads you already have. The stock dist w/ a petronix & recurve kit will do fine. I always used Headman headers. A set of z28 valve springs & retainers, a double roller timing chain, and a z28 hp spring for the std volume oil pump. A stock iron 4 bl intake w/ a Rochester 4-jet carb. For a cam use the old 350 / 350 cam pn 3896962. It will have a slight lope at idle & pull from the time you touch the throttle. If you can afford them a set of two valve relief pistons will give a slight comp increase or you deck the block .010" or both.
This will build a really good running 283.
Oh! Okay! I'll check out the bump stick and springs. Is that a regular Summit/Jegs purchase, or.. ?

EDIT: This what I'm after?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...make/chevrolet

THANKS!

Last edited by scootermcrad; 07-31-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:08 AM   #65
scootermcrad

Quote:
Are you putting the oil fill tube in the intake? If you do, and you put a breather cap on top, you can hide a p.c.v valve in the old style street breather hole by putting a rubber grommet in the block. Then you can use old school valve covers and still have efficient engine ventilation.
YES! Oil fill tube and early script valve covers. Good thinking. That was something I was wondering about. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2017, 10:52 PM   #66
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quite honestly for that price, I would go with a more modern grind from Comp Cams or Lunati. Here are a couple examples.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl12-234-2

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl12-238-2

The second one might be a little much for the engine. It just depends on what sort of engine manners you are wanting.

Quote:
Oh! Okay! I'll check out the bump stick and springs. Is that a regular Summit/Jegs purchase, or.. ?

EDIT: This what I'm after?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...make/chevrolet

THANKS!
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #67
scootermcrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Quite honestly for that price, I would go with a more modern grind from Comp Cams or Lunati. Here are a couple examples.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl12-234-2

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl12-238-2

The second one might be a little much for the engine. It just depends on what sort of engine manners you are wanting.
I'm definitely not going to pretend to know what lifts and durations are best suited for my application. So I'm open to what advice you might have.

This is not going to be a wild engine, by any means. Very mild mannered, with just a bump up over stock. I just need to build a reliable engine to move this thing down the road without going crazy. Not BORING, per-say, but SBC's are a slippery slope. So many cheap go-fast parts for these engines, but I just don't want to go crazy. But it doesn't make sense to put it back "stock" either. So lettering breath a bit more and getting the most bang for the buck, is really what I'm aiming for.

Thanks guys! Keep the input coming. Especially on the cam stuff.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #68
andyh1956

Keep in mind one of the important keys to building 283s is to keep the air moving as much as possible at LOW rpm for street use. Anything you add to a 283 to improve breathing at higher rpm is gonna take away from the low end. Getting 283s to move a heavy vehicle around like our trucks & do it in snappy fashion is a balancing act. From experience I can tell you when you put an aluminum intake & that Holley carb on there you're gonna lose some low end. That's why my recipe is a proven one, that stock intake & 4 jet Rochester will really surprise you! (Just aint gonna look as sexy!) Of course a set of double humps & the 151 L79 327 cam will get you another 800-900 rpm easy you sure will miss the low end you lost!
Building the 283 aint xactly like sticking an intake & cam in a 350.
But you're gonna have a lot of fun doing this & really enjoy driving a crisp running 283!
Can't wait to watch your build thread! Have fun!
Old 08-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #69
scootermcrad

Quote:
Keep in mind one of the important keys to building 283s is to keep the air moving as much as possible at LOW rpm for street use. Anything you add to a 283 to improve breathing at higher rpm is gonna take away from the low end. Getting 283s to move a heavy vehicle around like our trucks & do it in snappy fashion is a balancing act. From experience I can tell you when you put an aluminum intake & that Holley carb on there you're gonna lose some low end. That's why my recipe is a proven one, that stock intake & 4 jet Rochester will really surprise you! (Just aint gonna look as sexy!) Of course a set of double humps & the 151 L79 327 cam will get you another 800-900 rpm easy you sure will miss the low end you lost!
Building the 283 aint xactly like sticking an intake & cam in a 350.
But you're gonna have a lot of fun doing this & really enjoy driving a crisp running 283!
Can't wait to watch your build thread! Have fun!
I certainly agree! Definitely why I'm trying to keep the cam stuff to a dull roar.

The "sexy" part, i don't care about. I'm actually trying to keep the engine to the theme of "stock". Correct paint colors and stock type air box, script valve covers, and the intake (whatever it may be) would follow suit. I actually DO have a cast iron intake. I believe it is a 327 intake. I need to check the numbers again. The Edelbrock I have is basically a Q-jet, also. Should bolt right up... I think. Bought it to use on the Performer intake.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #70
scootermcrad

Just checked my other cast iron 4 bbl intake manifold, and indeed a 327 intake for q-jet.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #71
andyh1956

A Q-Jet & a 4-Jet aint the same carb. I've never seen a 283 with a Q-Jet so can't comment. Although I did once have a Holley Spread Bore on one, didn't like it.
And also stay away from the Carter WCFB.
This be what I'm talking about.
http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/t.../4G-index.html
Old 08-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #72
scootermcrad

Quote:
A Q-Jet & a 4-Jet aint the same carb. I've never seen a 283 with a Q-Jet so can't comment. Although I did once have a Holley Spread Bore on one, didn't like it.
And also stay away from the Carter WCFB.
This be what I'm talking about.
http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/t.../4G-index.html
I'm aware they are different. I'm not using a Rochester 4-jet. Just saying the 327 intake I have is listed as using a Q-jet for that application as well as the Carter WCFB.

Is a 62-63 327 intake a better option for this build than the Edelbrock Performer, then? I have both.

EDIT: I just checked the carb I have. It is not an Edelbrock Q-jet. It is the Carter AFB style Edelbrock Performer 1406. Big difference. My mistake. It had been awhile since I looked at it. I won't be able to use that on the 327 manifold. I would like to use the Carter AFB (Edelbrock), if I can. Maybe I'm weird, but I like those carbs and I have it, soooo....

Last edited by scootermcrad; 08-02-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #73
cg285

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDad View Post
That #3896962 cam is a good choice. It first came out in the 1974 Z/28. Sold lots of them at the dealership. The earlier 327/350 HP cam #3863151 was a little more radical and it worked excellent in the small cube motors.
back in the late 60's early 70's i sold bookoos of the 3863151 to the local speed shop where they were sold as performance cams but not under the gm number.
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #74
scootermcrad

Sorry if these are stupid questions. Just trying to understand. Seems easier to spec out an engine where you just want all the HP you can get, but when it comes to building a modest engine on a modest budget, part selection seems to be more critical so I'm getting a well balanced engine for this truck.

Last edited by scootermcrad; 08-02-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #75
andyh1956

scooter what everbody is trying to do is help you build your engine to do the job you want it to do, namely push your big heavy truck down the road as efficiently as possible.
A 283 is a short stroke, high reving low torque engine.
The same tricks people apply to a 350 won't build an engine to do what you want on a 283.
You say "The Most Power", well "Power" comes in at different RPMs on different size engines. With your 283 you want to keep all the power it makes at lower RPMs.
What's the casting #s on your intake? What cfm is your carb? Stockish 283s like around 500 cfm, not over 600.
In my lifetime I've had well over a hundred 283s, anything from stockers to full race engines in 3200 LB cars, but had to run a 4.88 rear axle. Heck I even sleeved a 302 down to 3 7/8" & made a 283 from it. They are really good engines.
If you need a manifold to fit the carb I think one of the old C3B Edelbrocks may be a good choice, I wouldn't use a single plane. I think I have an old Offy 360 around someplace, if I can find it you can have it.