The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
Big Blue

High Hump

Will the HI hump in a 78 blazer fit into a 81 cab?

If you look at my sig you'll see that I'm building a 4x4 TRUCK on a 78 BLAZER frame. The Cab and front clip is from an 1981 (1 ton ) utility truck. So I need to know what hump I'll need for the transfer case, so it will clear.

Thanks John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I believe it will. The hump will unbolt, so it wo't be real hard to try out. I think there is only one hump for the 4wd, but I may be wrong.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
Big Blue

Thanks Jonboy, I felt that it would but want to make sure.

Thanks John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
OneBad4x4
Lifted70BowTie

im doing the same thing, except a 70 cab on a 72 blazer frame..... fun conversion if you ask me.

I live in Bakersfield, CA 93308, I use USPS for shipping. (Even tho I've never shipped anything and am currently banned for failure to send out parts.)

Please reply to my for sale threads by PMing me. Its hard to keep track of all the threads.
OneBad4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:37 AM   #5
Big Blue

Hi OneBad4x4, Are you building a truck on a Blazer frame too? If so what do you see so far as a problem? For me a think everything from the front clip, fenders and cab will match up ok. The problem or challenge will be the bed. In my case the 78 Blazer frame has a higher rear hump on the frame. Since I do not want to raise the cab any higher then the orginal blazer body was i might have to get a bed and cut out the floor and lower it to match my cab lines. Then rebuild a floor. Making it like 4-6 inches in height smaller then a regular bed. Keep me informed on your project and I'll do the same.

Thanks John

Old 04-05-2005, 01:56 AM   #6
u2slow
Web Wheeler

There was a thread on here with 4wd hump pics... and they were all different One reason could be because the K5 and pickup have a different shaped floor under the seat.

If the K5 hump happens not to fit, there's a very good chance one from a pickup will.

'66 C10 longstep - Clifford equiped
'84 C20 Suburban 6.2L - awaiting 4x4 conversion
'91 V3500 Crewcab - awaiting diesel swap
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:26 AM   #7
Big Blue

Thanks u2slow, I have the chance of getting a 4x4 truck as a parts donor. I'm taking out the hump and bed for my project. If it don't fit I'll go get me a blazer one or modify one. Fat chance that will look good.

Thanks John

Old 04-05-2005, 10:43 PM   #8
Truckstuff

The Short Version..... You will not have to cut the bed floor out and lower it to match the body lines. Mount the cab in the front with the stock rubber mounts and rise the back of the cab to level, measure the height off the frame to the mounting surface of the cab. Make a support including the rear cab rubber mounts. It will be close now. Get your box shortened and modified make some front box mounts, set the box on and adjust. This is a very time consuming process.

The Pick up and Blazer frame have there differences from the front cab mounts back. The end results will be the same.

Building: 1981 GM SB LowRider
1985 GM K3500 3+3
1981 GM K2500 SSB
1980 GM K2500 X-BC Hydro
1979 GM K3500 3+3
1976 GM K5 Blazer
1970 Custom 10
http://bc4x4.com/

Last edited by Truckstuff; 04-05-2005 at 10:59 PM.
Truckstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:47 PM   #9
u2slow
Web Wheeler

I thought this thread was about the height of the transmission tunnel.... am I wrong?

'66 C10 longstep - Clifford equiped
'84 C20 Suburban 6.2L - awaiting 4x4 conversion
'91 V3500 Crewcab - awaiting diesel swap
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:02 AM   #10
Big Blue

thanks Truckstuff, That will be great. Its hard to see ahead sometimes on what the end results will look like. I was trying to vision what it would look like without the bed in my presence, hard for me to do since this is the first time attemping this.

This is what I have done so far>>>>>

Got an 81 truck, took off the cab, waiting to patch,sandblast,paint,rewire,etc...
Stripped a blazer down to the frame. Scrapped the blazer.
Had Frame sand blaster and primered/painted....my choice: SILVER.
Dropped suspension, removed leaf bushings, painted unit BLACK.
Painted all the extra metal parts,oil pan,brackets,engine parts,front rad clip.
MUCH,MUCH,MUCH to do...

Thanks John

Old 04-06-2005, 08:09 PM   #11
Truckstuff

Big Blue.. Sounds like you have been hard at it. It will pay off in the end.

u2slow.. Yes, the thread is about the transmission hump and his project in general....

On that note.... I did some looking through my stuff.

The 4wd Hi Hump on a 1981 Cab is differrent than the 1978 4wd Hi Hump. The 81 is longer (25 1/2") and has 4 bolt holes on the side. The 78 is shorter (22 1/4") with 3 bolt holes. The 78 2wd Hi hump is different again.

1981 4wd Hi Hump
1978 4wd Hi Hump
1978 2wd Hi Hump
Attached Images

Building: 1981 GM SB LowRider
1985 GM K3500 3+3
1981 GM K2500 SSB
1980 GM K2500 X-BC Hydro
1979 GM K3500 3+3
1976 GM K5 Blazer
1970 Custom 10
http://bc4x4.com/

Last edited by Truckstuff; 04-06-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Truckstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:37 AM   #12
Big Blue

Thanks Truckstuff, Pictures help alot. So if I read your post right I should look for a hump from a 81+- 4x4 truck. Since the cab is an 81? What was in the 81 when I got it was a 4 speed on the floor. I don't know if that hump will fit. I'll probably pick up a couple of different humps and try one till it fits.

Thanks John