The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #26
bluesfella

Re: Intro and the longest build thread you'll ever see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xratt View Post
Cool truck! Great to see more guys in FL. I'm about half way though my rebuild. I have a 1966 C10. It's a lot bigger project then i first intented. This is suppose to be my daily driver. But i could only keep it running 3 weeks or so and gave up. Decided to tear it apart and redo the motor. Then my eye were bigger then my budget, and i tore everything apart. I'm slowly getting it back together. I just decided i want a spare grill. I want to keep my stock one, and i want one i can modify. If you have a spare one from your parts truck, let me know.

Good luck on yours. I will check back often.
I actually do have a nice spare grill. I've just started pulling the parts I don't need off the truck, and will start getting them all together and take pics. I'm selling all the parts I don't need to pay for the stuff I'll need to finish the truck. Other than the cab and the doors (and maybe a driver front fender), I'm pretty much getting rid of everything I can, so if you need parts, let me know. I have almost no space here, so the stuff I can't use has to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronic View Post
Welcome Vance. Sounds like we both are on the same track. I'm down here in Panama City and plan on taking trips to your town for parts and such. if you need any help just holler.
Byronic, I'm actually from Panama City, and my whole family still lives there!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #27
bluesfella

Got a little work done this week. My daughter was born on Monday (woohoo!), so things have been pretty crazy around here, but I did get some sheet metal removed from the donor truck:

How it sits at the moment. I'm really amazed at how much of this truck is in great shape. I haven't had to cut off a single bolt so far (but I have come close). I just use some aero-kroil (similar to PB Blaster) on each nut/bolt a few minutes before trying to loosen them, and so far, everything has come apart pretty easily.

Driver's side finder, one small repair in the corner:

Passenger fender, same deal:

The front headlight panel is in great shape:

Pretty good tailgate, too:

Check out the electric fan attached to the radiator!

In various boxes in the cab, I found a Rochester Quadrajet, an older Holley carb, and this '68 cast iron intake:

I haven't been able to figure out what it's off of, the numbers don't match any lists I can find from that year. Anyone know of a good place to figure that out?

That's "819803"...doesn't show up on any list I've found so far. The date stamped is '68, though.

Anyway, the plan for this weekend is to pull the truck into the garage, remove the rest of the front sheetmetal and bed, and start patching the few rusty bits on the cab. I can't wait to work on this thing in the garage, and NOT the side yard...I need my air tools, and plenty of light!

Thanks for looking.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #28
bluesfella

Also, here's a crappy photoshop of someone else's truck that I modified to match my vision of what I want my truck to end up like:

Last edited by bluesfella; 09-25-2009 at 11:14 PM.
bluesfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #29
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Congrats on the new addition. Nice progress!! That green was my other choice but went with orange. i love that green.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #30
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Welcome from North Central Florida! Congrats on the new daughter! The story and intro was great and the plans sound great also. That rendering looks pretty sweet too, I'd definitely be driving something like it.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 09-26-2009 at 12:15 AM.
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:17 AM   #31
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I dig the color scheme. And CONGRATS on the baby girl!!!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #32
onequickchevy

Man, I saw that parts truck on craigslist and didn't have the space to store it. Wish I would have now! Nice score, and welcome from a fellow newbie from North Florida.
onequickchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #33
Bugeyev8

Great score on the parts truck...looks like it will save you lots of time fixing rust, I am new here to but I have been reading a bit here everyday, welcome to the forum and good luck with your project..looks like a great start
Bugeyev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #34
daverod
SSN 706

If you want to have the longest build thread ever your going way to fast you need to sloooow down. Welcome
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #35
bluesfella

Quote:
Originally Posted by onequickchevy View Post
Man, I saw that parts truck on craigslist and didn't have the space to store it. Wish I would have now! Nice score, and welcome from a fellow newbie from North Florida.
Yeah, I actually didn't call when I first saw it (I check CL every day) because I was frustrated on two previous attempts to get a donor truck like this. One got sold right under me, and the next one I drove HOURS to go get, and it turned out to be in worse shape than mine. I let this one sit a few days, and finally changed my mind and called him. I'm glad I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeyev8 View Post
Great score on the parts truck...looks like it will save you lots of time fixing rust, I am new here to but I have been reading a bit here everyday, welcome to the forum and good luck with your project..looks like a great start
Yeah, that's what I'm counting on. It will still need a few small patches, but it's nowhere near as bad as my other truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
If you want to have the longest build thread ever your going way to fast you need to sloooow down. Welcome
Thanks! It will definitely slow WAY down once I get to the upgrading and painting stages. I have ZERO money for this project, so I'm going to have to sell bits of the donor truck to afford any new parts I buy for my truck. I'll get there eventually.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #36
xratt

If you still have the grill, im interested. Let me know what you want for it. I will try to arrange picking it up. Thx alot

I almost have mine to a roller. woohoo
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...9&goto=newpost
xratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #37
Chevyman680063

I wouldn't say you have the longest build ever...I've had my '63 since '03 and haven't even gotten half of what you have done. I say it's time and money but if I had the money I could make the time, lol. Good luck on your build...looks like you've gotten a good start.
Chevyman680063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #38
bluesfella

Well, I finally got the donor truck into the garage last week. I pulled all the rest of the front sheetmetal off, yanked the doors, and starting sanding off the paint to find out what I really had.

The Good: The doors aren't too bad.

The Bad: LOTS more rust than I thought in the floorboards and rockers!

The Ugly: Some "Bondo Artist" really layered it on thick and covered up a lot of poor repairs. This cab is much worse than it looked - I don't even know if I can use it.

You can see here the corner of the passenger door - about what I expected, and totally fixable.

Here's the passenger cab corner - that's one massive chuck of bondo. I knew this area would need to be replaced, I didn't know it was solid bondo.

Here is the real disappointment - someone really masked this area well with the pink stuff. I really thought I could use this cab to replace mine...mine has the exact same problems, so no sense in even trying.

Looks like I'll have to purchase a full rocker for this side. And that's what I was trying to avoid by getting this truck in the first place.

Someone just filled the floorboard section with bondo to hold it together. Don't people know this doesn't work?

And here's another surprise - I'm not sure what this is called, it's a drip rail in front of the door, I guess. This area is perfect on my cab, but the donor cab is completely rusted through in parts. Only on the passenger side, though.

How do you even fix areas like this? I can't get to the backside...

The driver's side is better as far as the rockers and under seat area. I think I'll just cut this whole area out and put it in my truck. It's about the only usable thing on this cab.

Driver's side floorboard. Just as bad as my truck.

There a still a bunch of good parts on the truck that I can sell. A guy is coming by to get the seat and gas tank this weekend. My plan now is to just sell of everything I can, and use the money to buy the patch panels for the rockers and floors.

I guess I can use this as a learning experience. There are no rust free cabs left. This is my third try, and I guess I'm going to give up and just spend the dough on the parts to fix up my cab. At least on mine, I know exactly where the problems are - no bondo hiding poor repairs. I'm the third owner of my truck, the previous two owners were my buddy's grandfather and great-grandfather. No work has ever been done to the truck by them, it's still wearing the original paint, so at least I know what I have.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #39
onequickchevy

Don't feel too bad, the entire passenger rocker on mine was bondo and wire lathe. I am just patch paneling everything, and making my own where patches are not available. Stick with it though, it will be great!

Last edited by onequickchevy; 11-04-2009 at 03:23 PM.
onequickchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #40
ol Curt

How do you even fix areas like this? I can't get to the backside...

I recognize that damage...I'm going to lay some fiberglass over my vent cover, but I suppose you could cut the rust out and weld in a small patch.

Last edited by ol Curt; 11-05-2009 at 12:15 AM.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:37 AM   #41
sams60gmc

Congradulations and welcome to the board! Keep us updated with lots of pictures!

1960 GMC short fleet, full frame build...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=329718
sams60gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #42
jbgroby

I don't know IF you have the longest build thread. I bough the truck in January 2000 and he cab just got to the paint shop 2 weeks ago I still got to assemble it and put in all the interior and finishing touches. Let's see....... been 8 yrs. 11 months and counting, she may be the only truck to have 2 complete off frames in less than 5 years?

Thanks to Hurricane Katrina.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #43
shortbed70

Dang I agree with everyone you need to slow down to call it the longest. Looks like fixable stuff if you want to take some time. And money.. These trucks get expensive quickly,trust me. I'm going through the same thing along with a few others. Congrats on the new addition to the family and I dont mean the truck LOL..

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #44
shortbed70

BTW if you weren't so far I would love to help with the build.

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote