The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
AJLChase

Disc brake help

I purchased the Front Disc brake conversion kit from GMCPauls. It's the McGaughy's brand with the 9" booster. We're hitting a snag. The rear brakes seem to be bleeding just fine but the fronts are being difficult. Was wondering if the length of the "Clevis Fork" or rod needs to be screwed so far into the back of the booster to engage the front part of the MC correctly? When I put it on I just screwed it as far as it would go as the directions didn't mention much of anything. We tried blowing air through all of the lines to make sure there is no blockage and everything seemed fine. Once we undid the lines from the Prop valve to the MC we noticed very little if at all brake fluid would stream out of the MC once we depressed the brake peddle. Could this be our culprit?
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Disc brake help

Can you measure the full stroke of the M/C assembly and compare that to what you are actually getting?
You may need to lengthen your brake pedal rod.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
AJLChase

Re: Disc brake help

I went ahead and extended the length of the push rod from the brake peddle into the booster and noticed a change. Before we couldn't get any fluid to drain from the front resevoir of the MC and now when I pump the brake it shoots a stream two feet in the air. I have a constant stream coming out of the bleeder valve but I still can't get the brakes to lock up. Trouble shooting tips?
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote