The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #1026
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: 75 Dually build

I think the dash and console look great!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:00 PM   #1027
75Dually

We went to the wrench a part early today and got an electric dual fan setup for the truck, and also a kick down cable for the transmission. Now I call it a kick down cable, but it goes to the torque converter lock up arm on the transmission. So as you increase the throttle that cable pulls on the torque converter lock up arm. I am sure I'm not using the correct terminology, but either way I found a cable that is going to work for my needs. The cable by the way is the gear selector cable off a 2000 Dodge. I am going to take off all the jazz that was needed to make the gear selection work, and just make it work for my needs. It will look like factory when I get done with it.

In the evenings I am going to continue getting the engine placed in the truck, and get the motor mounts made. For some reason the list for this project just seems to be increasing, but that is true with all projects...

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #1028
deejaaa1

thanks for the dash pics. finished or not, it looks great.
think i’ve gathered enough aluminum for mine. just need a gas bottle.
your steering wheel is the exact one i removed from the 93 yesterday. got a 2 spoke from a 90 S10 Blazer. repaired top grip section, painted center and stitched on a cover. grips are much fatter and better. cost a whole 13.00.
keep it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
deejaaa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:14 PM   #1029
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa1 View Post
thanks for the dash pics. finished or not, it looks great.
think i’ve gathered enough aluminum for mine. just need a gas bottle.
your steering wheel is the exact one i removed from the 93 yesterday. got a 2 spoke from a 90 S10 Blazer. repaired top grip section, painted center and stitched on a cover. grips are much fatter and better. cost a whole 13.00.
keep it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Glad I could help! Keep up the good work!!
Old 05-31-2018, 04:22 PM   #1030
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice parts scores. That lever is actually the throttle pressure cable for the valve body. It raises the line pressure with throttle demand. Without it you'll burn up the clutches in the trans. The torque converter is turned on and off by a solenoid on the valve body. Same with the overdrive unit. You can use toggle switches or a compushift mini to run the trans.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #1031
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice parts scores. That lever is actually the throttle pressure cable for the valve body. It raises the line pressure with throttle demand. Without it you'll burn up the clutches in the trans. The torque converter is turned on and off by a solenoid on the valve body. Same with the overdrive unit. You can use toggle switches or a compushift mini to run the trans.
Ryan,

As always you have some amazing knowledge! Question: would it not be easier to use an older ecu from that gen dodge? When you say the converter is turned on and off are you talking about the overdrive or something else? I still have the 1991 Dodge ECU from the donor truck I could use, that is if it talks to the trans or not.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #1032
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Dually View Post
Ryan,

As always you have some amazing knowledge! Question: would it not be easier to use an older ecu from that gen dodge? When you say the converter is turned on and off are you talking about the overdrive or something else? I still have the 1991 Dodge ECU from the donor truck I could use, that is if it talks to the trans or not.
No because the shift points won't be right and you won't have any good way to tune it. I have been involved with a few swaps that tried that and they got tired of it real quick. (1 was a 47re too) The TC clutch would be unlocking and locking or not unlocking at slow speeds, and the same with the OD. It can lead you to hate the vehicle in a hurry.

The 91 Dodge would ECU probably wouldn't work because that truck was a 5 speed truck wasn't it?

1st, 2nd, and 3rd, are all shifted hydraulically through the valve body but there are 2 solenoids on the valve body that operate LO and OD. One sends the fluid through the input shaft to lock and unlock the clutch in the torque converter. This is for lock up. The other sends fluid to the piston for the overdrive assembly on the back of the trans. These transmissions are basically a 727 that have been upgraded/updated over the years. That is one nice thing about them. Some parts interchange. There are many pieces you can upgrade to make these a really nice trans. You can go mild to wild with them.

https://www.hgmelectronics.com/compu...and-a618-47rh/
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-31-2018, 05:49 PM   #1033
75Dually

Quote:
No because the shift points won't be right and you won't have any good way to tune it. I have been involved with a few swaps that tried that and they got tired of it real quick. (1 was a 47re too) The TC clutch would be unlocking and locking or not unlocking at slow speeds, and the same with the OD. It can lead you to hate the vehicle in a hurry.

The 91 Dodge would ECU probably wouldn't work because that truck was a 5 speed truck wasn't it?

1st, 2nd, and 3rd, are all shifted hydraulically through the valve body but there are 2 solenoids on the valve body that operate LO and OD. One sends the fluid through the input shaft to lock and unlock the clutch in the torque converter. This is for lock up. The other sends fluid to the piston for the overdrive assembly on the back of the trans. These transmissions are basically a 727 that have been upgraded/updated over the years. That is one nice thing about them. Some parts interchange. There are many pieces you can upgrade to make these a really nice trans. You can go mild to wild with them.

https://www.hgmelectronics.com/compu...and-a618-47rh/
I wounder if that compushift will talk to the 46RE, it says 46RH on their website.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:42 PM   #1034
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Dually View Post
I wounder if that compushift will talk to the 46RE, it says 46RH on their website.
I doubt it. The RE uses a governor sensor in the valve body and the valve body connector has more wires. You could call them and see if they would make or modify a harness for you. Your trans is a 47rh if it is from a 94 or 95 Dodge diesel/V10 with 3 pin valve body connector. The 46's were only in gas applications. The 46rh's were behind the 360 gas engines for what ever reason and the 46re's went behind 318s and V6s.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-31-2018, 07:12 PM   #1035
75Dually

Quote:
I doubt it. The RE uses a governor sensor in the valve body and the valve body connector has more wires. You could call them and see if they would make or modify a harness for you. Your trans is a 47rh if it is from a 94 or 95 Dodge diesel/V10 with 3 pin valve body connector. The 46's were only in gas applications. The 46rh's were behind the 360 gas engines for what ever reason and the 46re's went behind 318s and V6s.
So how do tell the difference?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:27 PM   #1036
75Dually

So I went out and took pics of the trans and the serial numbers on it. I also included a pic of the top to show the connectors. Can someone tell me what this transmission is? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2018, 09:37 PM   #1037
75Dually

From what research I could dig up it is a 46RH. There really is not a ton of info out there on these transmissions and how to identify them. If it was a Chevy trans, I bet we could tell you the blood pressure of the guy who torqued the pans bolts at the factory... Just sayin'...

So at least I know what I am dealing with now, which makes the rest of the build a bit easier... Gotta love putting things together that never came that way from the factory!
Old 06-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #1038
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It's not a 46rh. All Rh transmissions will have a 3 pin valve body connector. That connector looks like it is only 2 pins. That means you have an A518 which is a 727 with an overdrive on the back and no lock up. What does the passenger side of the case look like? Are there any ribs on the middle of it? That transmission would have been found in 1991-1993 Dodge Cummins trucks. The 47RH's were only in 1994 and 1995 diesel and V10 trucks.

I just looked at your pics and your trans is definitely an A518. You can use that in your swap. You just won't have lock up. You will need to use the engine plate from your donor truck. The 1994 up engine plates won't work on the a518s. The starter is also different from 1st gen and 2nd gens so keep your starter too.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 06-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #1039
75Dually

Quote:
It's not a 46rh. All Rh transmissions will have a 3 pin valve body connector. That connector looks like it is only 2 pins. That means you have an A518 which is a 727 with an overdrive on the back and no lock up. What does the passenger side of the case look like? Are there any ribs on the middle of it? That transmission would have been found in 1991-1993 Dodge Cummins trucks. The 47RH's were only in 1994 and 1995 diesel and V10 trucks.

I just looked at your pics and your trans is definitely an A518. You can use that in your swap. You just won't have lock up. You will need to use the engine plate from your donor truck. The 1994 up engine plates won't work on the a518s. The starter is also different from 1st gen and 2nd gens so keep your starter too.
Ryan,

You talk above about ribs? Where would these be on it? I have kept all the plates and starters from both engines. So that will work.

Chris
Old 06-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #1040
75Dually

I got the engine slung in the frame rails! Small victories... I also got the new injectors ordered and the engine overhaul kit ordered. So pretty soon this should be a running power plant!

This truck has not been cleaned since LST. Now for those of you who were not able to go to this years show we got major rains on the last day, and we drove through them on our way home. So it's nasty and needs to be power washed something fierce! However that will have to wait until we get it under it's own power again.

I'm going to start getting the engine mounts figured out this evening, that should be fun...

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2018, 12:21 AM   #1041
75Dually

I got the new engine mounts started tonight. I'm going to have to cut this plate down some as you can see, but this was just the first test fit after drilling the mounting holes. No the Chevy big block mount is not centered, I have yet to center and fix the position of the engine, but I will start on that tomorrow evening. Right now I wanted to get most of the steel cut and ready to tack in once I get the engine fixed in it's final position.

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #1042
75Dually

Let the rebuild begin! I got the complete rebuild kit in today, and yesterday I got in my new injectors. So I hope to get the rest of the engine tore down so I can start and at least get the long block finished this weekend. I'll take some update pics as I progress. Oh an for everyone that has given me suggestions, yes I will be doing the killer pin update first thing.

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2018, 11:14 PM   #1043
75Dually

For those of you who build any parts of your truck you know that life has ways of throwing you curves. As you can see below there is some PVC pipe and a lot of dirt.

The story starts out with my wife working on Friday night, my youngest was out with buddies, so that left dad batching it for the evening. I called a good friend and went to grab some dinner. When I was driving out the drive to go to dinner I saw the whole front lawn was wet. I thought that someone left the front hose on. Nope there was water bubbling up from under the sidewalk! I shut the well pump off (yeah we are on a well), and knew there was some bad juju going on. Ended up getting dinner anyways... So the next day we got the sidewalk busted out, found out where the main water line was broken, and got it fixed.

The reason I tell all this is not for support, but that I was supposed to be rebuilding the Cummins!!! I was going to clean the shop Friday night, and then get busy all Saturday. I at least wanted the long block to be completed by the end of the weekend. So if all the stars get in a row I will start the rebuild at some level this weekend and hope to have it buttoned up very soon. That is once my lower back quits grabbing me...

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2018, 12:35 AM   #1044
75Dually

Finally some progress. Tonight after it started to cool down I got into the shop and started to put this lump back together again. I got the cylinders honed, and then I went to work getting the new main bearings installed. The crank got polished and then went right back in with the new main bearings. Checked all the under piston squirters, check, and then started to torque down the main caps. Well almost... My light duty torque wrench which goes up to 150 foot pounds was in fine working order, but the main caps are to go to 176 foot pounds. I went and got my 250 foot pound torque wrench which is all electronically controlled, and it's battery was dead, UGH!!!

So tomorrow I will go get a new battery, and then I will torque it down to the correct torque spec.

Then I will get the cam back in, along with the new pistons. Should be a fun day!

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2018, 12:21 AM   #1045
75Dually

Sorry for not posting for quite a while. With all my kids birthdays and work travel it has been tough to get in the shop and finish up the Cummins. However I got the internals all back in and freshened up. Tonight I got the oil pan cleaned up and the rear main seal casting all cleaned up too. It got to late for me to finish it, but tomorrow night I should have the gasket on and the bottom end completed.

BTW I would like to make a correction on the above post. The mains do not get torqued to 176 foot pounds, they are torqued to 130 foot pounds. That 176 was in Newton Meters. I always double check my torque specs before I do anything and found out I was wrong and reread my post and did the forehead slap! Well at least I did catch that... Ug!

One other item I enjoyed doing was the honing of the cylinders. I had not done that since high school, but with a good friend giving me some great guidance it turned out easier than I thought it would. Now for those of you laughing at me because you know how easy it truly is, just remember I'm a DIY guy and not a machinist or an engine builder. Either way it turned out great.

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #1046
deejaaa1

i can’t complain. it’s taken me 4 days to do the OPS relay mod on the 93 and i’m still not finished. it’s a 20 min job tops.
Posted via Mobile Device
deejaaa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #1047
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It's looking good!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-19-2018, 12:50 AM   #1048
UKNOWME

Are you going to make c10sinthepark?
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #1049
75Dually

Quote:
It's looking good!
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
Are you going to make c10sinthepark?
Don't know if I'm going or not yet. I will have to wait until that date get's closer to see if I can take the time off or not. I do want to go because I think it looks like a great show. Just wish they had not sold out so quick...
Old 07-29-2018, 12:22 AM   #1050
75Dually

It's done! Finally got my side walk poured today. Oh and it kicked my butt! It was 100 degrees plus today. The reason it took so long is my wife works weekends (she is a charge nurse, and she works nights). So it has been tough to get a weekend when she is not working and the weather was cooperating. It's not perfect, but it is pretty close for us. I'll bust down the forms tomorrow.

Now I can get back to the engine build, again if the weather will cooperate! It has been several weeks with temps over 100, and that has just been too hot to work in the shop, especially with the humidity we have been experiencing. Yeah I know no sympathy, but this is only a hobby...

Stay tuned!
Attached Images