The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
k5hart

Died while driving now won't start

Hey all,

This one has me a little stumped although I haven't been able to dive head on into yet.

I just bought a 1991 silverado, completely stock 5.7 and auto trans. It ran and started like new up until it died on me. I was driving in around town traffic and as I slowed down to a stop the rpm's just kept going down until the truck shut off. Nothing violent or sudden, no real stumbling or sputtering. Just quit kind of like it was out of gas. Now the truck will not start back up. Turns over fine and smooth. Never tries to fire or stumbles just turns over and over. I have over 1/4 tank of gas.

I've checked that fuel is getting to the TBI by loosing the line and the I can hear the pump run. I think it's spraying but I'm not sure how much gas I should be seeing at startup. I also tried a little starting fluid and nothing. I've also changed the coil and had the module checked out (good) as I don't think I have any spark. All fuses are good.

Could any one part just shut off the truck so suddenly with no warning? How can I tell if the computer is dead? I can't get the check engine light to blink so that may be a problem. I'm going to investigate that next. When I turn the key to crank it I can hear relays clicking on and the gauges all work as they should.

Any help is appreciated. I'll be working all day to figure it out. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Died while driving now won't start

Two things come to mind.

HEI module & Fuel Pump have given me the same issue you have.

Since you swapped out the HEI, I am thinking the fuel pump. Have you plugged in a scanner to read for any codes?

Only other quick thing I am thinking of is a blown fuse. or a wire came loose.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 01-31-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
k5hart

Those were my thoughts too.

Module tested good at Advanced Auto Parts. I can hear the fuel pump and have gas up to the throttle body. Fuses all look good. I'll start checking wires.

Don't know if I have any codes because the check engine light isn't lighting up and I don't have a scanner. I'm going to figure out the engine light next. Might be part of my problem.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
robin58

Don't overlook the neutral safety switch either.

And also check your ignition switch in your steering column. It's cranking so most likely isn't that, but I've had one go bad that would cause my 95 to just mysteriously die every now and then.

Last edited by robin58; 01-31-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typos.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
ChevyTech

Quote:
as I don't think I have any spark. All fuses are good.
Quote:
How can I tell if the computer is dead?
Quote:
I can't get the check engine light to blink so that may be a problem.
Quote:
Don't know if I have any codes because the check engine light isn't lighting up and I don't have a scanner. I'm going to figure out the engine light next. Might be part of my problem.
The truck should be able to produce spark regardless if the ECM is good or not. It does not need the ECM to have spark.

If it did have spark but no service engine light then I would wonder about the ECM, but it sounds like a power supply circuit has failed.

It is possible the ignition switch at the base of the steering column has failed.

Check all the connections under the hood on the passenger side of the firewall at the junction block which may still have a black plastic cover over it. There are fusible links at the junction block also. I have found several truck with connection problems at the junction block studs when the nuts were not all that loose, but I have found many with loose nuts.

Fusible links are pieces of wire that burn to protect the circuit. Feel all the wires at the junction block to see if you find a bad one. They could be melted off inside and hard and stiff near the ends.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
k5hart

Turned out to be the distributor. I think the pickup was bad. Got it running but now it has no power and is kind of stuttering. Idles fine. I thought I got the new distributor back in the same spot but maybe I'm off a little. I'll check the timing tomorrow. This thing sure is fighting!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
ChevyTech

I totally lost track of this posting.

Thanks for the feedback on what made it run again.

If you set the timing using a timing light WITH the set timing connector disconnected, and are still having issues, post more symptoms about what is happening.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote