The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2016, 03:59 AM   #26
jazzbum

Thumbs up Re: Asbestos or not in these old trucks

Great info for peace of mind. My firewall pad is half gone from deterioration and I was hesitating about tearing the rest out, and even just driving around and possibly putting fibers into air that way. Don't care what the tough guys think, I'd rather know for sure. Thanks very much!
jazzbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #27
shp4man

Re: Asbestos or not in these old trucks

Unless your truck has brakes put on before 1997, even those don't have asbestos.
I think getting rust/dirt in your eyes crawling around under these old trucks is the most serious hazard.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #28
vince1

Of course north of the border and maybe things are different. I used to get clutch discs and brake shoes from a company called Asbestonos.

Even our furnace ducts were wrapped in it.

And how about using vermiculite (containing asbestos?) in the ceiling for insulation or mixing it with soil for potting mix?
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:30 AM   #29
Jimbohatro

Good to know. I recently stripped all of my cab insulation out of my 65. While I was in the sunlight I could see the fibers in the air in huge quantities. I put on a wet bandana and wetted the materials while removing because this very topic had crossed my mind.
Jimbohatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #30
KVB

Thanks for that.

Here in Canada, the Federal government has just passed legislation that will, by 2018, ban asbestos in any industry.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...s-by-2018.html
KVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:58 AM   #31
RedRoad

Im wondering about the headliner/roof insulation in 60-66 Suburbans. Anyone know for this as mine is finally starting to sag due to failing glue and it looks like asbestos and has a TON of tiny fibers that shed when you touch it.
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:25 PM   #32
Dlong1402

Hello I'm new to the fourm I have a 49 3100 that I'm restoring dose anyone know if that truck may contain asbestos. I kind of jumped the gun on working on it and now I'm scared silly about it but I Did ware a tyvek suit and a purple respirator. I've torn out most of the truck basically down to the shell I've suspected the heater core heater hose going to the vents head liner black tar like substance described in this post and the firewall insolation cloth wiring all to be asbestos and I'm worried that I may have contaminated my garage. I have sent of for tests on firewall insolation headliner insolation and black tar like substance on the fire wall I haven't gotten any results but I will post them when I get them. Can anyone confirm weather if these trucks did contain asbestos and where it might be located thankyou-
Dlong1402 is offline   Reply With Quote