The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2018, 11:58 PM   #26
harpo231

Re: Janesville Assembly’ To Be Demolished

Assembly Plant
A = Atlanta
B = Baltimore
F = Flint
J = Janesville
N = Norwood
P = Pontiac
S = St. Louis
T = Tarrytown
Z = Fremont
1 = Oshawa
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:46 AM   #27
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

My 83 Silverado was born there.
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:28 AM   #28
dell72

I always hoped GM would offer public tours of the old facility after it closed. I have so many fond memories and stories heard from my dad as I was growing up and it would be nice to put a face with the story.
dell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

Not to beat this to death, but never responded to these comments. For the sake of conversation, I have a different take on thiis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfallon View Post
Comparing a brick box to the art deco building around the world is not fair.

I doubt that factory building was built to last forever. and that can be a problem even if they did retro fit it. Bricks and concrete don't last forever.
We tear down art deco and all the way back to colonial era as well. On my historic town's main street they just tore down an original home to offer 5 lots to build new homes. Kills the whole historic main street vibe. Yet, they put up a cute brown sign out on the interstate stating "Historic Mt. Airy". It too is part of B&O history. Started off as a water stop for trains making the grade. Houses on Main St. were built as summer homes traveled to by train.

That factory was in operation since 1919. It lasted a long time and was not torn down due to structural issues. Plenty of brick buildings from the 1700s still stand today. I think back in 1919 everything was built to last forever. Planned obsolescence is a post WWII concept, for the most part. I don't think in Chevrolet's first ten years they were looking at anything being temporary.

Downtown Frederick, MD
Name:  contact.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  97.4 KB
B&O Railroad Frederick station. Now used as MARC, commuter rail linked to Washington, DC subway system, station as well as Greyhound depot. A multi-use building for modern needs repurposed from it's original use as part of America's first commercial railway. It was renovated, but brick, mortar, slate all lasted through it's vacancy in flying colors.
Name:  FrederickMDmarc1.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  97.8 KB

The Mt. Airy Freight depot is now a pharmacy and doctor's offices.
Name:  Mt Airy depot.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  109.0 KB

Here is the oldest part of the Janesville plant in '09, built 1919
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-18-2018 at 09:22 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #30
Ironangel

I grew up in north of the river in Kansas City, Missouri, we moved there in 1965 from Oklahoma, I was seven years old. I retired from the Ironworkers local 10 four years ago after 37 years in the trade. In that time I watched the GM Leeds plant close, the GM Fairfax BOP plant close, two huge refineries, Phillips and Standard oil, and one of ARMCO Steel's largest mills, all gone. The famed stock yards and Agriculture Hall of Fame, gone. There is still a Ford plant in Claycomo and the automated GM-10 Plant in Fairfax, Kansas City, Kansas. Janesville is an old record that started playing forty some odd years ago in every major industrial city east of Kansas City. It wasn't that long ago the "Big Three" were getting bailed out of an immanent end. The newest vehicle I own is a 91 Jeep Cherokee, still smokes the tires with more than 600K miles on the clock. My most reliable daily driver is "Belle" my 72 C/10. At this stage of the game, aint nuthin like it use to be...Except the corner of 9th & McLean, and my old Chevy's...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #31
ZEKE68

How do you find the date your truck was built?
Old 02-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #32
Richard2112

Unfortunately we are generations removed from the "American Made" era and most alive today have little or no experience with it. They'll have no concept of a dial phone, a black and white tv without remote. To some, even the idea of a dial up computer modem is no more than an archaic relic consigned to the dust bin of history.

We can not expect those who make the rules to show any nostalgic regard for for a by-gone era they have never known especially when new contrivances are perpetually promoted through their electronic signal devices. Driverless cars, battery powered commuter vehicles and guilt imposed over the use of fossil fuels have indoctrinated a new society to abandon history in favor of "feel-good high moral ground" and self indulgence. The "cash for clunkers" idea was a perfect example of how todays society will arrogantly discard museum pieces for the sheckles of silver.

No amount of reminiscing will stop the flow of "progress" any more than those who have gone before us were able to salvage the boiler driven production plants or save the steam engine.

There is light though, in that those who have aspired to recall the museum pieces from the rust bin of history are unique and our relics of a by-gone era have become more rare. So that is something. But I suspect that the fuel to operate them is going the path of coal.

In the days of the Janesville plant, we could get 105 octane and run 11 to 1. Gone are the days.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #33
ericfallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
Unfortunately we are generations removed from the "American Made" era and most alive today have little or no experience with it. They'll have no concept of a dial phone, a black and white tv without remote. To some, even the idea of a dial up computer modem is no more than an archaic relic consigned to the dust bin of history.

We can not expect those who make the rules to show any nostalgic regard for for a by-gone era they have never known especially when new contrivances are perpetually promoted through their electronic signal devices. Driverless cars, battery powered commuter vehicles and guilt imposed over the use of fossil fuels have indoctrinated a new society to abandon history in favor of "feel-good high moral ground" and self indulgence. The "cash for clunkers" idea was a perfect example of how todays society will arrogantly discard museum pieces for the sheckles of silver.

No amount of reminiscing will stop the flow of "progress" any more than those who have gone before us were able to salvage the boiler driven production plants or save the steam engine.

There is light though, in that those who have aspired to recall the museum pieces from the rust bin of history are unique and our relics of a by-gone era have become more rare. So that is something. But I suspect that the fuel to operate them is going the path of coal.

In the days of the Janesville plant, we could get 105 octane and run 11 to 1. Gone are the days.
I was not a fan of cash for clunkers, but the comment of ,
"The "cash for clunkers" idea was a perfect example of how todays society will arrogantly discard museum pieces "
Going a little overboard with the drama, eh?
How much was turned in and recycled for the war efforts?
Cash for clunkers was not a new thing, People in cali, and else where have been in that game for 20+ years before this, industry buying the older cars and having them junked for emission credits, So they could polute and not be fined.. Only difference with cash for clunkers is the person got to collect money for junking it, no more middle man and no emission credits to an industry .
Read up on the hot rod crusher Camaro for incite on that long standing program, they saved that car 20 +/- years ago from that program..

All this junking history and throw away population was built and started way before my generation or the generation that is now told that cars are evil. This is the boomers baby. Before them people remembered the depression and fixed everything, and by the time the next generation was coming of age everything was sold out from under the American worker for the almighty dollar, and built to not be repairable.
The love for the automobile started die'n before and during my generation was growing up, many parents bought an econo-box car that was as bland and boring as can be, ad to that the removal of needing upkeep and you have a large group of people that never had to help dad turn a wrench on the family car, or anything else for that matter..
I was lucky My dad had not fast but interesting vehicles and worked on them,plastic models,erector sets, much of that outlawed persay by the child safety toy nannies. Between this and wondering how things worked, (oh the things I destroyed in the name of learning how it worked, I'm amazed my parents didn't kill me, thinking back).
If I was a teen today it be hard pressed to have the same outlook as everything is made to never be repaired, You are not fixing a micro chip, or even soldering on a new one. Vehicles go a 100k miles needing nothing and when they do, most don't have the tools to repair them. That is good for the owner but bad if you are looking at the youth getting into wrenching on them.

How many cities became a shell of themselves as industry left, or became a ghost town? A building not used decays fast. lack of upkeep, roof leaks, but once someone is going to doz it everyone looses their minds.
No one cared when everything was leaving our boarders as long as their 401k or any other type retirement account, or investments was making a killing.
but now want the shell of what is left standing saved, why care now?? didn't care then, if it wasn't effecting you or your job, oh well ,bad deal for them, but your stocks went up as they moved opps to china. or elsewhere. now you want it saved.. pfft.

Last edited by ericfallon; 02-18-2018 at 03:22 PM.
ericfallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #34
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfallon View Post
I was not a fan of cash for clunkers, but the comment of ,
"The "cash for clunkers" idea was a perfect example of how todays society will arrogantly discard museum pieces "
Going a little overboard with the drama, eh?
How much was turned in and recycled for the war efforts?
Cash for clunkers was not a new thing, People in cali, and else where have been in that game for 20+ years before this, industry buying the older cars and having them junked for emission credits, So they could polute and not be fined.. Only difference with cash for clunkers is the person got to collect money for junking it, no more middle man and no emission credits to an industry .
Read up on the hot rod crusher Camaro for incite on that long standing program, they saved that car 20 +/- years ago from that program..

All this junking history and throw away population was built and started way before my generation or the generation that is now told that cars are evil. This is the boomers baby. Before them people remembered the depression and fixed everything, and by the time the next generation was coming of age everything was sold out from under the American worker for the almighty dollar, and built to not be repairable.
The love for the automobile started die'n before and during my generation was growing up, many parents bought an econo-box car that was as bland and boring as can be, ad to that the removal of needing upkeep and you have a large group of people that never had to help dad turn a wrench on the family car, or anything else for that matter..
I was lucky My dad had not fast but interesting vehicles and worked on them,plastic models,erector sets, much of that outlawed persay by the child safety toy nannies. Between this and wondering how things worked, (oh the things I destroyed in the name of learning how it worked, I'm amazed my parents didn't kill me, thinking back).
If I was a teen today it be hard pressed to have the same outlook as everything is made to never be repaired, You are not fixing a micro chip, or even soldering on a new one. Vehicles go a 100k miles needing nothing and when they do, most don't have the tools to repair them. That is good for the owner but bad if you are looking at the youth getting into wrenching on them.

How many cities became a shell of themselves as industry left, or became a ghost town? A building not used decays fast. lack of upkeep, roof leaks, but once someone is going to doz it everyone looses their minds.
No one cared when everything was leaving our boarders as long as their 401k or any other type retirement account, or investments was making a killing.
but now want the shell of what is left standing saved, why care now?? didn't care then, if it wasn't effecting you or your job, oh well ,bad deal for them, but my stocks went up as they moved opps to china.. now you want it saved.. pfft.
No, not going overboard at all and there was no drama involved. You're comparing apples to oranges when bringing up the metal turned in for the war effort as times were significantly different then. For one thing, the metals were being shipped to American companies and there was American tech replacing it. Neither of those conditions existed when almighty obummer decided to erase the classics.
There was a noticeable decrease in available parts, scrap yard began crushing as soon as vehicles came in and I'm certain China got a bargain on our export.
I'm not trying to place the blame on any particular generation as we all were complicit in heralding in the age of "progress" but there's an ideology that despises the archaic rather than respects it. And Obama was their hero.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #35
ericfallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
No, not going overboard at all and there was no drama involved. You're comparing apples to oranges when bringing up the metal turned in for the war effort as times were significantly different then. For one thing, the metals were being shipped to American companies and there was American tech replacing it. Neither of those conditions existed when almighty obummer decided to erase the classics.
There was a noticeable decrease in available parts, scrap yard began crushing as soon as vehicles came in and I'm certain China got a bargain on our export.
I'm not trying to place the blame on any particular generation as we all were complicit in heralding in the age of "progress" but there's an ideology that despises the archaic rather than respects it. And Obama was their hero.
Sorry, again then explain the 20 years+ before cash for clunkers that industry got emission credits for destroying older cars.. Obama's cash for clunkers didn't help matters, but come on.. having narrow vision isn't helping matters.. The scraping of old vehicles for money or self interest is nothing new.. and everything you posted was going on long before that tool was in office.. take the blinders off..
Some forget that some have a funk for older buildings but most never cared, EVER!! same with this hobby, those outside the hobby, a vehicle was to get to point a to b nothing more.. This also has been fact as long as the i.c.e. has been used.
I like cars, trucks and know not everyone feels the same way about them..
And don't expect them to understand.
Buildings, Some are pleasing to the eyes, most are not. If I don't own it, I'm not telling those that do, What to do with it, just like I don't want them telling me what I can and can't do with my vehicles..
Some don't GET this..
Old 02-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #36
special-K
Special Order

Do you have any examples of any classics at all being traded in for $3,000 for a new vehicle during The Great Recession? Lots of '90s SUVs, mini-vans, and ho hum cars is all I know of. Mostly the ones that had gotten a little old to be desirable trade-ins to dealers, so either wouldn't be accepted or lucky to get $1,000 for it when you could sell for more. They were clunkers to people who drive new cars but they were newer than anything I was driving. Maybe I live in a shell, but I don't know of any cases where what I would consider a classic, or future classic to be junked, other than Suburbans and 4dr Tahoes. I daily drive a '95 Suburban these years later and people don't pay any attention to it or regard it as a classic. I feel like I'm in my own world digging on it. And there doesn't seen to be any shortage of them. I feel the program didn't hurt a thing and made it so we can be all excited about the 100th anniversary trucks, the Camaros, and that killer Vette coming out next year. I was deeply affected by that nasty recession along with the rest of the construction industry. I don't how many people were employed by GM at that time, but I was glad as hell to not be having all these people flooding a job market that was already in high distress and/or filing for various public assistance. No matter what you thought of the last president, this wasn't about special interest, it was about saving our automotive industry and umpteen hundred thousand jobs with his special interests as a side effect. The program discontinued, debts were repaid with interest, and we GM Truck guys still have our brand on the map.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #37
ericfallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Do you have any examples of any classics at all being traded in for $3,000 for a new vehicle during The Great Recession? Lots of '90s SUVs, mini-vans, and ho hum cars is all I know of. Mostly the ones that had gotten a little old to be desirable trade-ins to dealers, so either wouldn't be accepted or lucky to get $1,000 for it when you could sell for more. They were clunkers to people who drive new cars but they were newer than anything I was driving. Maybe I live in a shell, but I don't know of any cases where what I would consider a classic, or future classic to be junked, other than Suburbans and 4dr Tahoes. I daily drive a '95 Suburban these years later and people don't pay any attention to it or regard it as a classic. I feel like I'm in my own world digging on it. And there doesn't seen to be any shortage of them. I feel the program didn't hurt a thing and made it so we can be all excited about the 100th anniversary trucks, the Camaros, and that killer Vette coming out next year. I was deeply affected by that nasty recession along with the rest of the construction industry. I don't how many people were employed by GM at that time, but I was glad as hell to not be having all these people flooding a job market that was already in high distress and/or filing for various public assistance. No matter what you thought of the last president, this wasn't about special interest, it was about saving our automotive industry and umpteen hundred thousand jobs with his special interests as a side effect. The program discontinued, debts were repaid with interest, and we GM Truck guys still have our brand on the map.
There was many, Mostly G body and b body 80's cars.. I'd have to look, but over on the turbo Buick forum there was the story with photo's of a g/n taken in, and a bunch of basic g body's.. No one cared if a 3.8v6 car got crushed, just like no one cared if a 307 Chevelle did.. back in the 80's.. Or the Chevy trucks before they became hot.. At one time they were just used up old vehicles. and sent to a junkyard. no one blinked..
Old 02-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #38
special-K
Special Order

Hard to believe anyone would turn a Grand National in for $3k when they have been sought after classics since day one and were certainly a hot sought after item you could easily get $3k for at the time that program was in place. Must have been a rust bucket ragged out turd mostly good as a donor to steal the numbers off of. I wouldn't blame the program, I'd blame the one idiot who turned it in... unless it was a way roached out turd worth less than $3k. Then I'd say it was worth the sacrifice because things worked out and there is certainly no shortage of G-bodies and my friend's cousin's business www.gbodyparts.com has only thrived since those times. My buddy is deep into those cars and parts them out. No shortage of those cars. Nobody buying the parts complains that he took another one off the map. He hauls good frames down to Brian often. A Cash For Clunkers car in the junk yard was still a great parts donor, same as the ones G-body fanatics are parting out.

Tim

Old 02-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #39
ericfallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Hard to believe anyone would turn a Grand National in for $3k when they have been sought after classics since day one and were certainly a hot sought after item you could easily get $3k for at the time that program was in place. Must have been a rust bucket ragged out turd mostly good as a donor to steal the numbers off of. I wouldn't blame the program, I'd blame the one idiot who turned it in... unless it was a way roached out turd worth less than $3k. Then I'd say it was worth the sacrifice because things worked out and there is certainly no shortage of G-bodies and my friend's cousin's business www.gbodyparts.com has only thrived since those times. My buddy is deep into those cars and parts them out. No shortage of those cars. Nobody buying the parts complains that he took another one off the map. He hauls good frames down to Brian often. A Cash For Clunkers car in the junk yard was still a great parts donor, same as the ones G-body fanatics are parting out.
The circle track guys need frames more g bodies go missing because of this.. I love the racing but not a fan of the way they are getting the frames..