The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Fuel tank cleaning, etc

Just dropped the tank on my 1960 Suburban, good news is it appears to be decent condition and has held about 10 gallons of gas for the 15yrs it sat in a field. The bad news is there was 15 year old gas sitting in it.

My initial plan prior to dropping it was to use the POR-15 fuel tank repair kit. I spoke with someone that used it and was happy, but said be certain to rinse/clean the tank again after doing the process as he clogged a few filters and had to rebuild a carb after a few tanks of fuel.

I've also read of people that have taken their tanks to a radiator shop to have it cleaned and possibly sealed and they had good results. I called a local radiator shop and they said they passed that business on a few years ago and gave me a place to call. This place starts at about $30 and they say on the high side maybe $100, but probably $50-70 to high pressure wash my tank, I think she said they'll run boiling water and even acid if needed to get all of the crud out, they don't stop until perfectly clear water runs from it.

I figure for ~$50 that seems like a HUGE time saver, even if I decide to go the POR-15 route after. I'm also sort of thinking is there a need to seal it if I have this cleaning done? Opinions?

On a side note , for those that have done the POR15 tank repair, if I have some cleaner/degreaser from POR-15, from engine painting kit, and I have some metal prep, from Home Depot seems to work same as POR-15, is it necessary to buy the entire kit or do I just buy the POR-15, which I have a little and need more anyway, and then just buy the sealer or is the entire kit the way to go even having some of this?

What about tank straps and bolts on the '60 Burb....my strap is somewhat twisted up and the bolt broke that secures it to frame. The bolt might still have enough threads, I'll have to check that later, as fuel spilled out when I dropped her and didn't want to climb back under until it aired out and was cleaned up. As for the strap, if I can easily replace, I'm thinking a good option, just not sure where to look.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
MASTERBrian

Re: Fuel tank cleaning, etc

Took the tank in to be cleaned, cost me just under $50, but they ran into a baffle inside and couldn't clean the side with the filler neck and there is still obviously some 'rust' particles floating around. They tried to unbolt the neck, but it was 'soldered' into place, so I just dropped it at a welding shop and they are going to undo that and get back to me. He doesn't see why I need to have it soldered, but maybe it'll be apparent after...he thinks I can just RTV (fuel resistant) and bolt back on, but for $20-30 more he'll re-solder it back on.

Still looking for some feedback as to re-sealing it. The cleaners didn't think I needed to, but the welder thought probably a good idea. The POR-15 kit is just under $90, but it appears I can get just the sealer for $13....IF I have the rest do I need to buy the kit? Or is there something else to buy?
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote