The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #1
Whamo

reining in the heat and noise

Ok...cleaning up the cabin on my Girl Annabelle and it's time to dampen the noise...

I know there are other threads dealing with this but they are a few years old and I'm looking for y'alls input...

I recently recovered the bench seat and I'll be using LMC's carpet and heat mat but I'm not sure on the sound mat direction...

soooo...dynamat? Fatmat? LMC's kit? who's used what? I've got 2 buddies who have had disastrous results with the ole Peel & Seal, so that is not an option...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=622194
Whamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
chrismoore701

Re: reining in the heat and noise

What happened with the peak and seal? I used that on my 63 vette and 79 stepside. Wish it was better but it’s not bad
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
chrismoore701

Well it is hvac aluminum and foam peak and stick. Like dynomat
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
Whamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
What happened with the peak and seal? I used that on my 63 vette and 79 stepside. Wish it was better but it’s not bad
in both cases the sticky part melted and ran and separated from the foil backing...real mess to scrape off...

I read 1 review on Fatmat that claimed the company was owned by a roofing material company and it was just repackaged peel and seal

Old 02-02-2018, 11:25 PM   #5
HunterRotten

I used gtmat off eBay, way cheaper. Made sure it was the butyl version and not their asphalt based one.
HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:20 AM   #6
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRotten View Post
I used gtmat off eBay, way cheaper. Made sure it was the butyl version and not their asphalt based one.
and that's your problem right there with p-n-s, it's asphalt based, not butyl. and it's supposed to be used with a special primer. i use it at work, mostly for flashing curbs, upstands, etc...it is not designed to take the heat in your truck. stick a thermometer inside your door on a nice day, the temp will be waay past the VOC's limit in it, which is why it melts and falls off. if your in a colder climate (not Arizona or Calf) it can survive longer, which makes people think it will work everywhere. whatever brand you decide to go with, spend the extra $ and get a butyl based product
fatmat does make a butyl version, it's a tad thicker and a touch more expensive, it's what i used in my crew. it will help, but for noise you need insulation of some sort. you want a jute pad at the barest, all kinds of diff insulations for vehicles on the market, there is also mass loaded vinyl (this is what i used) and numerous types of sound deadening sprays
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:40 AM   #7
Whamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
and that's your problem right there with p-n-s, it's asphalt based, not butyl. and it's supposed to be used with a special primer. i use it at work, mostly for flashing curbs, upstands, etc...it is not designed to take the heat in your truck. stick a thermometer inside your door on a nice day, the temp will be waay past the VOC's limit in it, which is why it melts and falls off. if your in a colder climate (not Arizona or Calf) it can survive longer, which makes people think it will work everywhere. whatever brand you decide to go with, spend the extra $ and get a butyl based product
fatmat does make a butyl version, it's a tad thicker and a touch more expensive, it's what i used in my crew. it will help, but for noise you need insulation of some sort. you want a jute pad at the barest, all kinds of diff insulations for vehicles on the market, there is also mass loaded vinyl (this is what i used) and numerous types of sound deadening sprays
Thank you for the insight dieseldawg142! After your reply I started digging and was surprised at how few control mats were actually butyl...I ended up ordering Fatmat's Mega Mat...

I'll detail the installation on my build thread...