The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Tree-50

Show me your management/wheels

Looking for different styles of management setups, mainly confused how you guys manage to mount up your management on the bottom of the truck and A) the elements (rain/puddles) doesn't ruin the compressors. B) if covered/in a box, they don't overheat and if holes are cut, again the water doesn't get in C) How do you check it out if your comps fail and can't lift your truck?

Also, it's about time for some wheels around here and I'm trying to figure out which size I want to run. I don't like the huge wheel tucking half of it look, but I don't want to run 15s either. Probably somewhere in 18-20" range is what I'm going for. Smoothie/baby moon/dog dish style for the most part but I'm not SET on them.

My truck is a 68 that will be converted to 5x5 and I'm just curious as to what offset these trucks fit. Except I only ever see you guys talking about backspacing.

The truck will be on air, but I don't really plan to do anything more than, drop spindles, cupping LCA, and bags up front, as far as I know the rear being a coil truck just needs a bag and shock? Do the shocks NEED to be shorter or is that what the relocation is for? It's a 68 c10 lwb
Tree-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Show me your management/wheels

All my stuff is behind the seat. No worries about water.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
SCOTI

I utilize the rear x-members for comp/tank mounting. You can also add some framework that attaches to the bed floor supports under the bed floor.

On my most recent build, I added an extra rear x-member behind my step notch for dual purpose: tank mounting & frame gusseting behind the notched area. My comp's are mounted on the back side of the rear-most factory x-member as it helps shield them from water (along w/the bed above & the tanks in front of the x-member). I made sure I could access both of these parts from under the truck (it's tight, but they can be snaked out from underneath if required).

As for wheel sizes..... 20's work & you can get decent sidewall heights if the front inner wells are raised to allow clearance. 18's would be the next choice for me....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Tree-50

That's slick SCOTI, are those saddle bags up there in front of the tires? Does that mean you use those and is the tank still behind that seat? Curious because it seems like you either throw a gas tank back there or the management.... I see you're from DFW as well though, always nice to meet a local.

I'm definitely not new to airride, it's just, my management has always been inside my cars lol.. So the whole element exposure aspect is new to me. On a c10 with a sb350 are the airlift 2500 fine for up front? or would 2600 all around be the best bet?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:13 AM   #5
NEWFISHER

Drove my last bagged truck here in Oregon all winter. The compressor filters work great and having a drain on the tank or a water trap helps. Tuck it up high and you will be fine. I had a manual paddle valve panel from way2lo2 member here and management was good. Im running an Airlift V2 management system thats tucked in a dropped floor box under the passenger seat and the tank and comp are out back up high.
I also run a whip line with a schader valve on one of the tank ports and carry a portable compressor( small carry bag style) on out of town trips. Ive also installed a female fitting and have an air line coil to air up tires if needed.
I have thought about running the stuff in the cab but after rubber mounting everything out back I would rather not have the noise in the cab. I will post pics if ya want.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:33 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-50 View Post
That's slick SCOTI, are those saddle bags up there in front of the tires? Does that mean you use those and is the tank still behind that seat? Curious because it seems like you either throw a gas tank back there or the management.... I see you're from DFW as well though, always nice to meet a local.

I'm definitely not new to airride, it's just, my management has always been inside my cars lol.. So the whole element exposure aspect is new to me. On a c10 with a sb350 are the airlift 2500 fine for up front? or would 2600 all around be the best bet?
The rear bags are based off the Ride Tech HD 4-bar. They are in the same place the leafs would be.

PM me &I can offer suggestions on your set-up...
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-24-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-50 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The rear bags are based off the Ride Tech HD 4-bar. They are in the same place the leafs would be.

PM me &I can offer suggestions on your set-up...
Scoti - I think Tree was refering to your saddle GAS tanks on each side of the truck...

Tree - Those are his stock gas tanks. That particular truck is a square body CC Dually and there is no gas tank in the cab behind the seat...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Scoti - I think Tree was refering to your saddle GAS tanks on each side of the truck...

Tree - Those are his stock gas tanks. That particular truck is a square body CC Dually and there is no gas tank in the cab behind the seat...
Ahh..... I'll blame the cell phone (or the bar?)
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
Tree-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post

That is what I was referring too and thanks for the correction.

So it seems like just using the filters and traps and there aren't any elemental problems. That's good.