The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
focusedontheprize

Steel bed mount brackets

This is an Art Morrison frame, but I have seen a few original frames with steel bed mounts on them. Figured I would see if anyone is making them before i start.

focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Steel bed mount brackets

I doubt anybody makes those...at least I havnt seen them anywhere...but pretty simple fab work...
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:39 AM   #3
dsraven

you could easily make them by cutting one side off a piece of square or rectangular tubing with the wall thickness desired and then drilling a hole. most metal supply places will cut the size you want for a small fee. if you wanted 6 pieces of the same size you could probably order, pay and pick up at an agreed upon time. they will want payment to ensure their cost is covered in the off chance you don't come back. they may also be able to drill the holes as well, or form the shape with flat stock, it all depends on how much you want to spend. square tubing will have the radius on the corners much like the pic shown.
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:28 AM   #4
mr48chev

Blowing up the photo shows that those are pieces of flatbar that were bent to shape and drilled, The square tubing would work fine if the frame is flat where they go.

As Mongocanfly an Dsraven said they are too easy to make for there to be a real market for someone to make and sell them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
focusedontheprize

Thanks guys. Easy to make I know, just funny that we don’t see too many fabbing them up and instead are still using wooden blocks so that is why I asked.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #6
mr48chev

I'd think the majority of us just haven't thought of it. It's not too expensive to buy the kit with the wood blocks, spacers and bolts to begin with or it is no cost except time to hunt down an oak pallet to salvage chunks of oak 2x4 out of to make your own blocks. Other than that I'd say few of us have thought about it.

One of a heck of a nifty idea though and you may see some pop up on projects now that you posted the photo and idea/question. Let the guys with deep pockets pay for the engineering, design and development and then snag the idea to use yourself.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote