The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Towmater454

65 GMC Dana Axle help needed

My first post here and i'm just getting this project started. I have tried the search feature but don't see a lot of dana 44 answers or gmc truck rear end info.
I picked this up from a guy I know that blew the spider gears doing donuts in a field with his grandson. The guy added a very fresh 454 (781 heads, mild cam) which is what made me want to take it on. Its a 4spd granny tranny but I'm not sure if that will stay (might want an auto/od tranny). I'm trying to get as much info on these before i waste my time fixing a weak link. I'm trying to find a Limited Slip from the junkyard or somewhere cheap that i can rebuild and get traction. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm not married to the dana axle so if there is a simple and better option for a leaf spring truck i appreciate the suggestions I know dana's 30 spline 44's aren't bad and I would prefer to keep it. I'm not drag racing the truck but i do want to have "fun" with it.

This isn't my first rodeo but a different animal than my last one (also a 65). The mustang was in about the same condition when i purchased it 2 years ago.
Towmater454 is offline   Reply With Quote