The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
QBRacing

LS Radiator, Expansion Tank, Steam Port Question

Hey all.

I am building a 58 Apache and have a 2000 LS1 in the engine bay from a Holden Commodore, (similar setup to a 2000 Camaro).
I have the engine in and have mounted the factory Commodore radiator (similar to image 1) which sits higher than the heads and water outlet. I have connected a Trickflow steam-port setup (refer 3rd image) but have now started thinking about other options.

My understanding is that the LS1 engines run the steam tubes as the radiator sits low factory and this can cause bubbles/air or hotspots to form in the heads. Also the water outlet is lower than the heads... By running the steam ports to the radiator and out to a expansion tank as long as this is higher the bubbles get removed and you have no hot spots ....

Rather than have to pay an engineer time and big moola to make a custom alloy expansion tank (I don't like the ugly plastic one) I found that I can get a bolt in replacement radiator with a radiator cap (like image 2).

If I did this, being that my cap would be sitting above the heads I could simply run a normal overflow bottle which is a lot cheaper. Problem I see is that it doesn't have anywhere for the steam-vent tube to connect to and I believe I would still need this as the outlet is lower than the heads still.

I was thinking I could just make an alloy pipe to place in the top tube which I could connect the steam port tube too and thereby allow any bubbles or hot spots to be eliminated.

Would this work as it sounds way to easy in theory and would probably work out a fair bit cheaper too..

Quintin
Attached Images

Last edited by QBRacing; 12-03-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling errors
QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:17 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: LS Radiator, Expansion Tank, Steam Port Question

Couple more options...
You can simply drill and tap a hole in the water pump and run the steam line to there...
Or they make a coupling that goes in the top radiator hose that has a fitting in it for the steam line

I've done it both ways.....drill and tap method....and I machined my own top hose adapter sleeve with steam port fitting

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 12-04-2019 at 06:24 AM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:44 AM   #3
QBRacing

Re: LS Radiator, Expansion Tank, Steam Port Question

thanks for the reply

with either option do u just remove the pipe and t section that goes from the engine to the expansion tank?

quintin
QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote