The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
rickf

SBC 350 oil pressure, how much is too much ?

I've got a realtively-new-to-me 350v8 from a GMC C20 camper special, now in a 64 Chevy C10. The 350 has (allegedly) about 35K miles on a rebuild, but that rebuild was two PO's ago, and I have no facts, no idea what was put in there. I will say though, it seems to run clean and strong.

I'm using the original stock oilt pressure gauge in the C10, I believe it is working. With the worn out 230L6 that came out, oil pressure would range from 0 to 20 psi or so.

The range on the gauge is 0 to 60, and this 350 pegs it at 60 on cold start, so maybe it is actually higher. After five minutes of warmup, it goes down to 30 psi at idle, up to about 45 psi at what I'de guess is 2000 RPM or maybe a little more (no tachometer, so guessing at gentle throttle cruise 35 mpg or so). At freeway speeds it is up to near 60 again.

This seems like a lot, but then again I am used to old worn out stuff.
Should I be happy with this pressue or is it too much, going to cause some problem?
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote