The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #1
RedRoad

Show me your rear parking brake cable with lift

I have a 3.5 inch lift on the rear of my K20 burb and when cycling the suspension on full droop the rear is held up by the brake cable.

Ive searched and see there is a G30 cable for 14 bolts and others just relocate the bracket. Since I still have the HO52 Im not sure if the 14 bolt cable (AC Delco 18P266) will work and since its only a few inches longer not sure if it will give the needed length for max articulation.

Anyone have any suggestions?
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
BlueBullet

Re: Show me your rear parking brake cable with lift

I put a 2" lift in my K10 and had to have custom cables made 3" longer to not rub on leaf spring. I got the cables through inline tube.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753294
BlueBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
redbaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBullet View Post
I put a 2" lift in my K10 and had to have custom cables made 3" longer to not rub on leaf spring. I got the cables through inline tube.
I did the same on my 4" lifted K10. Inline Tube also made mine 3" longer.
1969 Camaro Protouring LS7 T-56 Project
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:39 AM   #4
RedRoad

Do you guys remember the measurements or part numbers? Approximate cost?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

No part number. you just tell him what truck you have and how much longer you want them. Don't expect him to figure it out for you. Have your information ready. He is in business to offer factory spec replacement parts for restorations. I may be the one who convinced him to start doing these cables custom. Many years ago I called for cables for my 6" lift and he flat out told me he only did OEM spec. I already knew exactly what I needed. He builds to order and I convinced him it was nothing he couldn't do 100% OEM, except in for my specified length. He was hesitant and said if they were wrong he wasn't responsible. I said, "Right!", and he made them and they worked out fine. This was over 10 years ago and I have told people about Inline tube many times over till it became common knowledge here on this site. I also had a longer braided stainless rear brake hose made and bought proper fitting t-block and rear axle (HO52) brake line in that order. I had bought the Skyjacker(?) 4-6" braided hose kit and the fronts worked fine but the rear hose had an incompatible size fitting which would have required a series of adapting hard line to cobble together. Their stuff bolted right in place and my truck was put together right!
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
ND_guy
Tool Addiction=Money Shortage

When I did it, I was newly married in college and couldn't afford new cables. This has worked for many years but I will eventually get some correct cables.

I flipped the cable brackets side to side and made a couple wedges to space them down.
4" all spring lift HO52 axle

Old 03-27-2015, 03:56 AM   #7
RedRoad

ND guy thanks for the pic!! Just what I needed to hold me over. I need the E brake but the baby makes funds a bit tight these days.

I also noticed you have a detroit in the rear, is it an early No Spin or did you put a later 14 bolt version and use the later axles?

Thanks again!!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #8
ND_guy
Tool Addiction=Money Shortage

Just a No-spin. I like it a lot except on ice. Things can get pretty squirrely
Old 04-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #9
BILT4ME

Talking Re: Show me your rear parking brake cable with lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
No part number. you just tell him what truck you have and how much longer you want them. Don't expect him to figure it out for you. Have your information ready. He is in business to offer factory spec replacement parts for restorations. I may be the one who convinced him to start doing these cables custom. Many years ago I called for cables for my 6" lift and he flat out told me he only did OEM spec. I already knew exactly what I needed. He builds to order and I convinced him it was nothing he couldn't do 100% OEM, except in for my specified length. He was hesitant and said if they were wrong he wasn't responsible. I said, "Right!", and he made them and they worked out fine. This was over 10 years ago and I have told people about Inline tube many times over till it became common knowledge here on this site. I also had a longer braided stainless rear brake hose made and bought proper fitting t-block and rear axle (HO52) brake line in that order. I had bought the Skyjacker(?) 4-6" braided hose kit and the fronts worked fine but the rear hose had an incompatible size fitting which would have required a series of adapting hard line to cobble together. Their stuff bolted right in place and my truck was put together right!
Thanks Special-K!

Bringing this back from the dead thread, but we've been searching for cables for the rear of our 1970 GMC K2500 that has needed LOTS of things.

I appreciate your posting information about your experience.

I just bought them from InlineTube (over eBay) based solely on your recommendation here. (No pressure!)

I'll follow up after we get them installed how they fit.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:12 AM   #10
webfoot

From 7dee2's build thread, probably what I'll go with too.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...645614&page=30

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:11 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

What he is doing looks nice. That's more like a redesign head to toe on a custom ground-up build where just having inline make OEM design leaves it all original and nothing needs changed except the rear cable length. Two completely different approaches to two different situations.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
BILT4ME

I ordered the rear parking brake cables for my 1970 GMC K2500 4X4 (127" WB, no lift) from Inline Tube. Part # RE-4165

They confirmed that this was the correct application.

Unfortunately, when I received the parts, correctly labelled, my cables are 2-1/2" LONGER than the new ones.

I have placed my claim with I.T. and they have advised me to ship my cables to them and they will match length at no additional charge.

I will advise when it all gets resolved.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #13
BILT4ME

Follow-Up:

After some time, I got back in touch with Inline Tube and finally found the RIGHT person to talk to. I sent one of my original cables back to them, along with the two they sent me originally, then in about 4 weeks, I received my old cable plus two new ones the correct length.

We installed them and they work great!

Now we need to do a lift on the truck, so I'm guessing we're going to need new brake cables again..........
Old 10-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #14
B. W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILT4ME View Post
Follow-Up:

After some time, I got back in touch with Inline Tube and finally found the RIGHT person to talk to. I sent one of my original cables back to them, along with the two they sent me originally, then in about 4 weeks, I received my old cable plus two new ones the correct length.

We installed them and they work great!

Now we need to do a lift on the truck, so I'm guessing we're going to need new brake cables again..........
Did the correct cables they sent you have part numbers? I had this same issue about a year ago, still don't have the correct cables.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #15
First c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
From 7dee2's build thread, probably what I'll go with too.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...645614&page=30
This is who did mine, then Brett seen and contacted them for his build.

Hulk build
Post 305
I put 4 wheel disks and didnt want to use the stock mid cable.
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #16
BILT4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
Did the correct cables they sent you have part numbers? I had this same issue about a year ago, still don't have the correct cables.
No part numbers.

When I received the cables with the part numbers (RE-4165), I installed them and measured how much longer they needed to be. Then, after a number of phone calls and a couple of emails, they advised me to ship them both the new cables and one of my old ones and they would match them.

They matched my old cable and sent them back at no additional charge. It's primarily because their website gave me the part number that matched my truck.

Get a measurement on your existing cables and check their website to confirm HOW they dimension them.

Custom sizes are NOT returnable.

We're going to have to do it again when we install a lift in the next 12 months.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:45 PM   #17
B. W.

thanks for the reply. I ordered the correct set (4165) but I think there is a difference between the Chevy & the GMC rear cables. I'm guessing it's the mounting location? I called them & e-mailed them multiple times. They always responded but the process was painfully slow. (it took weeks) They did eventually make me new cables that were longer but I had to pay for them.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote