The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
fla wildman

Question ?Rough Country?

Has any one herd of or used Rough Country's stuff be for? Is it any go; looked at a lift kit from them. And it is the cheepist I have seen but never used there stuff.
2006 F250 6.0 the puller
69 c10 soon to be k30 too far gone to fix

Last edited by fla wildman; 02-08-2010 at 09:35 PM.
fla wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
jrdv

Re: ?Rough Country?

Rough Country is a good product. I've used them twice for lifts. They are pretty stiff. If you are looking for a lift, get one that is complete with front and rear leaves, shocks, and u-bolts. Most of them are about the same. The Tuff Country E-Z Rides are the softest. These are the smoothest, but if you plan on hauling heavy loads, they will start weakening. Anotherwords, your truck will sit lower in the back ( without a load ).

If you are looking for a lift larger than 2 inches, do not use blocks. It is more expensive to get rear leaves. The taller blocks can get spit out under off-road conditions. I admit that it has to do with a heavy foot and high horsepower conditions, but it does happen. That being said, if your truck is just for looks, the blocks will be fine!

Good Luck

john

Last edited by jrdv; 02-08-2010 at 10:45 PM.
jrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
fla wildman

Thanks I thought they would be good just by the way there site looked.And I would never block a truck. The only blocks I would use are the factory one.There tires are cheep too just no Ground Hawgs going for the old school look.
2006 F250 6.0 the puller
Old 02-08-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
jrdv

You might look into the Interco TRXUS M/T tires. They are similiar in tread design to some of the older mud tires. They are excellent in mud and snow, plus they are semi quiet on the road.

john
jrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #5
fla wildman

Well quiet is not a good selling point if there to quiet my wife will wont to drive it.The cupped tires on the truck now are what's keeping her from driving it.
2006 F250 6.0 the puller
Old 02-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
benoit454
Chris

the rough country kits ride rough. I'd buy the tuff country ezride if you do any serious time behind the wheel. Had one on an 86 and it was soo rough we hit a small pot hole in the road and the battery flew loose. We had the front leaf, rear block kit. I'd run blocks anyday. As for wheelin' maybe not but every day yea blocks, it's cheaper.

I want the rough country 6 inch for my 88 because it's the cheapest, but I worry about it ridding rough like the 86 did.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
racin69z

In my opinion, the only reason blocks ever come loose is if the u bolts are loose. Thats what the alignment pins are there for. I have seen some wierd stuff on some real high horsepower mud trucks around here (stacked blocks, real big blocks ect) and I've never seen one come out.

I will say though, any block over 4" and your gonna get into axle wrap, so some sort of ladder bar is a must or you'll have problems with U-joints.

Lynn
racin69z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
jason65
Registerd User

Glad to hear it. I was thinking on running 2'' blocks with a 2" body lift to get some 33s or 35s under the 64.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

the biggest problem with aftermarket blocks is what they are made of : ALUMINUM!!! stock ones are usualy cast steel. the problem with them shifting comes from failure of the soft aluminum dowel. stick with steel. its what the rest of your truck is made of. if your like to launch spring wrap will a problem. my 71 jimmy with no lift whatsoever hopps like crazy on the street when i dump the clutch. stiff springs ride rough in a swb and i dont plan on hauling anything or rock crawling so im planning on the 4" softride kit with a ladder bar. good for day to day and will look good with 35s
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
rblcori7

Ive got a Rough Country 4 inch lift with front springs and rear blocks right now and it works fine... it is a rough ride but im not to worried about it.... i will say the only bad thing is hta with it on there some how on the driver side rear two of the leafs cracked.... now i will not say that its the blocks fault bc i dont know how the person before me drove the truck but two of them are cracked.... Im about to put a skyjacker soft ride 4 inch all leaf lift... only reason im doing that is i picked up all four of the leafs for 40 bucks lol

2011 Silverado LTZ
rblcori7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
67chevy77

I been running the 6 inch rough country but with blocks in the rear for 3 years or so with no problems. And just like mentioned its ride is stiff and the Super Swampers dont help. But being I dont drive it much it doesnt bother me. If I remember right I paid about 5 hundred bucks for the kit from rocky mountain lift kits with shocks, add a leaf, blocks, and front springs, and raised steering arm.

1967 4x4 -sold-

1988 reg cab short bed 4x4 -sold-

1999 GMC extended cab short bed new body style Lifted on 33s.
67chevy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

wow look where they cracked! Perfectly in line with the front of the block. and the one below is bent to ****. IMO that failure is purely from spring wrap due to the extra leverage from the blocks.
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #13
Mxracer202

ok sow what about if its for a serious off road truck, who should I use then? I know tha Off road design makes them, but monet is an issue, but id rather spend a little more and get a better product even if that means waiting a little more....and more

TROUBLE MAKER RACING

"If you can't stand BEHIND our troops, please stand in FRONT of them."
Mxracer202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
USSkoval

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin69z View Post
In my opinion, the only reason blocks ever come loose is if the u bolts are loose. Thats what the alignment pins are there for. I have seen some wierd stuff on some real high horsepower mud trucks around here (stacked blocks, real big blocks ect) and I've never seen one come out.

I will say though, any block over 4" and your gonna get into axle wrap, so some sort of ladder bar is a must or you'll have problems with U-joints.

Lynn
Nothing wrong with blocks... just don't use aluminum or anything over 4 inches. You've never seen stacked blocks spit out because the trucks they are on are piles of crap that spend more time parked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardjimmy71 View Post
wow look where they cracked! Perfectly in line with the front of the block. and the one below is bent to ****. IMO that failure is purely from spring wrap due to the extra leverage from the blocks.
When springs break, that's usually the spot. Blocks or no blocks.

'77 K5 Blazer
'78 K10 Shortbed
'78 C20 Suburban
'79 K30 Crew Cab Dually
'84 C10 Short Stepside
'88 K20 Suburban

USSkoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
rblcori7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardjimmy71 View Post
yep and that is why im putting on this new kit when i get home

2011 Silverado LTZ
rblcori7 is offline   Reply With Quote