The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Mil-Spec

BREAKAGE: Wanna know what causes this?

And the answer is????....... DRUNK DRIVING.

I had just gone to bed when I heard a BOOM. I got up and walked out front and there my truck's front end out in the middle of the road with debris everywhere. Up the road a little further is the car with a drunk+high boyfriend and girlfriend. The girl wasn't 21 yet.

So here I go again dealing with insurance.

U.S. NAVY 97-05
USAF 94-97
Mil-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
V30 mongo

Re: BREAKAGE: Wanna know what causes this?

You got one tough battle ahead with the parasite insurance company. Don't you know you got a 25 year old "clunker" that ain't worth nothing. Watch, they will offer you a couple hundred bucks to forget the whole thing!
V30 mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

It took a heck of a shot. I havce never seen one brake a knuckle like that.
I knew something was up by the tire marks on the street.

AS V30 mongo said, watch out for the insurance company. They are going to want to total that thing and give you as little as they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

Angry Re: BREAKAGE: Wanna know what causes this?

That stinks

Last edited by scottsdaleowner75; 09-17-2010 at 09:38 PM.
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Dang man, sorry to see your burb like that. I'm just glad no one was hurt. More of these drunk driver's need to be made examples of. Good luck with it.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Mil-Spec

Yeah unfortunately I'm all too familiar with dealing with insurance companies. As my truck was hit this past Feb and I just FINALLY settled with the Ins. Co. about a month ago. I found Logic mixed with good old Pit Bull stubbornness worked best.

Right now I'm waiting for the their Claim agent to call me back. The accident happened Wed night so I'm gonna call again on Monday.

I'm not touching the truck till they send someone out to evaluate the damage. After that I'm thinking about throwing a spare front axle under the truck so that I can move it around and so the neighbors don't get itchy with the city.

Any advice on which and what to look for with regards to used front axles? Right now is a 3/4 ton 10 bolt of front. Saw a guy on CL locally selling a Dana 44 with 4:10 gears, new ball and U joints from a 77 for $400. Is that decent deal? (keep in mind I'm relatively new to 4x4's)

Thanks

U.S. NAVY 97-05
USAF 94-97
Old 09-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #7
raycow

That totally sucks! I hope you nail the guy's a$$ to the wall and his insurance company with him. The cops will probably want a piece of him too.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

I feel for ya, that happened to my wifes minivan a few years back. Kid came around the corner to fast and lost it. He ran when I yelled at him outthe bedroom window at 2 am. I thought I could catch him cause he had knocked something off his turbo and it was whining real loud. He got away and ended up turning himself in a month later. He admitted in court he was drunk and was scared. He got $100.00 fine and a slap on the wrist. I was ready to beat him senceless in the courtroom. Good luck with that. Keep us posted

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
msgross

$400 would depend on if he can provide paperwork on the repairs to the dana 44, Ball joints are a real PITA so it might be worth it. Make sure to pull the front diff to prove that it's 4:10's (if that's what you already have). Only cost you a few quarts of gear lube in the end. You "should" be able to keep you brake calipers and hoses if they aren't damaged. The steering arm is another PITA to swap out so if the other axle has one then it's a bonus.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
Mil-Spec

msgross you bring to light something I hadn't considered. I don't know what gear ratios I have.

When in 4WD how do the gear ratios in the the front and rear differentials relate to each other?

What is the best method to tell what i have already? Is there stamping on the axle tube i can reference? Or do I need to pop the covers off and count teeth or look for a part no.?

Also with the axle pull out like you see it in the pictures. Is that a good indication that there is damage inside the pumpkin?

Thanks for any help

U.S. NAVY 97-05
USAF 94-97
Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
msgross

It could have damaged the oil seal near the pumpkin, but I doubt that it messed up much more since it looks like it just pulled out of the axle.

I would pull the pumpkin cover, drain the oil (if not then it's going to come out of the tube anyway) and check your gear ratio. Look for a stamped number on the large ring gear. it should look like a ratio (i.e. 41:11 = 41 divided by 11 or 3.73, rounded of course). Then you know what to go find. Front and rear diff ratio's need to match in order to keep from tearing up your drivetrain. Odds are it's 4:10's since you have a 3/4 ton.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
ERASER5

That's a lot of damage for being hit by a buckeye!
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
Mil-Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
That's a lot of damage for being hit by a buckeye!
LOL After this weekends game, OHIO University and my truck have a lot in common.

Thx msgross, I'm gonna try and take a look tonight.

U.S. NAVY 97-05
USAF 94-97
Old 09-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
Sarge261

Look in the glove box before you pull the cover. Chances are the options label is still there and it will tell you what axle ratio you have. Sorry to hear that truck was hit again, you just can catch a break.

Sarge

Project THOR
Sarge261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #15
355bullet

thats sux...sorry to hear about the sub.
At least you were in the house and not barely getting out of the truck.
355bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #16
monza1979

i had my truck nailed a similar way, but it was the rear as opposed to the front. anyways, the insurance company was very good about it, cut me a check for double what i bought the truck for and did not salvage the title. so there is hope!!
69 Pontiac Firebird: 74 s.d. 455 build up, m22 rock crusher
monza1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #17
Cbrown67

nothing beats free custom mods!!!!!
Cbrown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #18
snj8198

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I had the same thing happen to my "71. Infact the whole reason why im a member of this website is because the day a drunk driver hit my truck i stayed up all night crying in my beer surfing the net for replacement parts. That's when i stumbled onto this site. Something good came out of it i guess.

Good luck with your rebuild.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #19
Mil-Spec

Thanks everybody.

Haven't been able to find time to crack open the pumpkin. I have crawled under the truck a few times since for brief periods to look the frame and mechanicals over for damage or deformation. So far the only obvious thing standing out is the shattered knuckle and maybe something internal to the steering box. The only thing visually tweaked (aside from the sheet metal) seems to be the extreme end of the driver's side frame horn where the bumper bracket attaches. But it's only slight.

I'm starting to wonder now if I can just disassemble the driver's side hub and replace the knuckle. Instead of buying entire axle. Of course I'd be rebuilding both sides in the same evolution.

Regarding the gear ratio listed on the options sheet in the glove box. The only code remotely concerning the axles is a "G80" but nothing specifically mentioning the ratio. So since no option is listed I'm assuming that the ratio would be what was offered on the base model for the 1979 3/4 ton Suburban. Anyone know what that was?

U.S. NAVY 97-05
USAF 94-97
Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil-Spec View Post
Regarding the gear ratio listed on the options sheet in the glove box. The only code remotely concerning the axles is a "G80" but nothing specifically mentioning the ratio. So since no option is listed I'm assuming that the ratio would be what was offered on the base model for the 1979 3/4 ton Suburban. Anyone know what that was?
G80 just indicates limited slip, but I don't know if it means F&R both or rear only. Anyway you can count the ratio directly if you get both rear wheels off the ground. Put the transfer case in neutral and the parking brake off. Turn either wheel and make sure the other one turns in the same direction. If it does, turn the wheel exactly one revolution and count how many times the driveshaft turns. That number is your axle ratio.

If the opposite side wheel turns backwards or doesn't turn at all, let one wheel back down on the ground. Then turn the free wheel TWO revolutions and count the number of driveshaft turns.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 09-26-2010 at 09:23 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #21
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

My vote would be see if the housing is straight and replace the outers or anything broken along the way. Let me know if you want to take me up on the offer for the free front axle complete. I think it was a 3:42 gearset if you need to know, from an 87 K5 blazer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil-Spec View Post
Thanks everybody.

Haven't been able to find time to crack open the pumpkin. I have crawled under the truck a few times since for brief periods to look the frame and mechanicals over for damage or deformation. So far the only obvious thing standing out is the shattered knuckle and maybe something internal to the steering box. The only thing visually tweaked (aside from the sheet metal) seems to be the extreme end of the driver's side frame horn where the bumper bracket attaches. But it's only slight.

I'm starting to wonder now if I can just disassemble the driver's side hub and replace the knuckle. Instead of buying entire axle. Of course I'd be rebuilding both sides in the same evolution.

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #22
Mil-Spec

Finally cracked the pumpkin open and found "3 gm 3988517 11 41 10 78" stamped on the ring gear. Which as best I can tell means it's a ratio of 3.73 manufactured Oct 1978. This matches the build date on the door sticker. Still think it's odd that the gear ratio isn't list on the option sheet in the glove box.

One thing I want show you guys was the driver's side axle tube. Last night I was wire brushing the axle tubes in an effort find a gear ratio code stamp on the axle tube like you do of GM passenger cars. As i got near the pumpkin on the driverside tube I saw shiney metal near where the tube interfaces with the pumpkin. Is this normal? To me it almost looks as though the tube has been pull out some. But I will admit that even as shiney as it is, it was still covered in old grease. Nothing else (u bolts, springs shackles) seems shift. i was just curious if this had been seen on other trucks.

U.S. NAVY 97-05
USAF 94-97

Last edited by Mil-Spec; 10-08-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #23
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

I would just replace the knuckle and any other parts damaged by the impact. 3.73's are a decent gear for those tires and combo.
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #24
Mil-Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdaleowner75 View Post
I would just replace the knuckle and any other parts damaged by the impact. 3.73's are a decent gear for those tires and combo.
That's what I'm thinking. I just want to make sure the axle tube isn't pulled out of the gear housing (pumpkin).

U.S. NAVY 97-05
USAF 94-97

Last edited by Mil-Spec; 10-08-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #25
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

41:10 would tell me 4.10s
and the shiny is where the axle tube is macined at the factory