The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
monte0185

LSx 4x4 build questions.

I just bought this truck and the PO had a shop do most of this work but I wanted your thoughts. First would you trust these home made mounts? The welds look ok. Lot of spatter but look solid. Just not sure if it should have some kind of bracing between the two sides. Second thing is it sitting to high in the frame? An last but not least im sure is what do you think of the clearancing that was done?? Maybe I should just pull the motor and trans and start over with the motor mount setup that ive seen from Pacific Fabrication.
Attached Images

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Mr. 250r

Re: LSx 4x4 build questions.

Looks like the frame was notched a whole lot but not braced anywhere i don't trust these old frames to begin with but that's just me as far as the welds... that's hard to say need a better picture but as a welder im picky lol
1991 V2500 Suburban Silverado - Sold
1991 V2500 Suburban Scottsdale - Big Nasty http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=497423
2001 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 EC DRW - Sold
2003 1500 Silverado
2004 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 CC DRW - Sold
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.6/ZF6 CC LWB
Mr. 250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
arider278j

I would use the pacific fab cross member. Only cross member you have left is front and trans thats a lot of stress put on the motor mounts. GM put a cross member there for a reason. Just my two cents
arider278j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 250r View Post
Looks like the frame was notched a whole lot but not braced anywhere i don't trust these old frames to begin with but that's just me as far as the welds... that's hard to say need a better picture but as a welder im picky lol
I have no doubt the welds would hold their just not a good looking as I would have done being a bit of a welder myself. I was kinda worried about how the engine mount is only held to the frame mount by 2 bolts. Im still debating on bracing the sections where they notched out the frame for clearance. I know twisting it would be fine im more worried about front impact and it collapsing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arider278j View Post
I would use the pacific fab cross member. Only cross member you have left is front and trans thats a lot of stress put on the motor mounts. GM put a cross member there for a reason. Just my two cents
I was thinking that at the very least I should run a piece of dom tubing that is 90'd on each end and welded to a plate and bolted to the frame and plate that's already there. Or just welded to the plate that Is already there becoming a permanent fixture.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
monte0185

This was my Idea of giving it some more bracing but using DOM round tubing with bends Then welding a plate on either end so that it can be removed if necessary. That is if you think how the motor mounts are bolted are solid enough. This is a crude drawing but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Wow, it is just outright scary the way some people approach late model Vortec engine swaps. I wouldn’t have bought that truck once I saw how they hacked up the frame. After seeing that, I can only imagine what their wiring and fuel line plumbing must look like.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Wow, it is just outright scary the way some people approach late model Vortec engine swaps. I wouldn’t have bought that truck once I saw how they hacked up the frame. After seeing that, I can only imagine what their wiring and fuel line plumbing must look like.
Fortunately all that is left to me and I'm very meticulous with both!! I'm going to buy a set of envoy manifolds like I seen on crash's build and if they font require the clearance then ill weld in some pieces to fix the frame back up. My main concern at the moment is the bracing under the engine. Im gonna fab up a brace this weekend. If I could get some advice on how the mounts are mounted.