The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #26
curvedglass

Re: timeless look and won't go out of style

To quote the Fonz:

'fashions come and go - style is eternal'
Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #27
bj383ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
This is an interesting point. I'd submit that even today people are hesitant to buy a slammed chassis truck for the simple, and understandable reason that they may not know the builder and the whether or not the work was quality (primarily talking C-notch level of slamming, etc). I'm no rocket scientist on slammed and bagged chassis, some folks are - and for them, they will find deals if they are wanting to do that to their next truck - but the average buyer won't know what he's looking at/what to look for, and, more importantly, how to undo it or if it's even undoable - if a resto is what the buyer wants to do. So, hot-rodded truck of the 60's-80's are just kinda lipstick with stock underpinnings for the most part that could still be returned to bone stock once the lipstick was removed, repainted, tweed removed, etc. But I think a C-notch truck will have to remain a C-notch truck forever, in MOST cases, not all.

Now don't get me wrong, I like the look, and I wouldn't mind lowering one myself - but I'd be willing to bet I'm not alone in the mindset that I'd STILL be looking for a stock truck that "I" could lower, not one that someone else has already slammed - so I could be sure it was "done right" - ha, as if I could do it better than the seller... But, that's how I am. I STRUGGLED with whether or not to drop my 66 swb, and never did, because I felt like it was just too original. And I liked it that way anyway. But back to 63burb's point - eventually, the pool of trucks easily returnable to stock condition will dry up and that will be a sad day, for me anyway.

There, I managed to shorten burb's 1 sentence to 3 paragraphs... Sorry. I thought it was an interesting point. It's part of what drives us all to play horde and seek with the originals, always keeping our eyes peeled for that original gem... we tend to always think we're finding what may be the last one! Ok, maybe that's just me
I totally agree with this. I know the slammed, bagged, big wheels is a trend. I don't care for it myself and something new will come along and replace it but I feel the same way about cutting up the frame and making the truck useless for hauling anything.

This is just my opinion but in the future you are right I think a non molested truck will bring way more money than a slammed one no matter how much money was spent on it. Now if someone was smart and had the knowledge and money they could start building "new" original frames for guys to buy in the future when they want to "unslam" their truck.

Okay I am off my soapbox.

Bret
Old 11-22-2017, 12:28 AM   #28
63burban
Chevy addict

Amen Brother I walk right past the butchered trucks, crap, did I type that out loud
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:56 AM   #29
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
Amen Brother I walk right past the butchered trucks, crap, did I type that out loud
Certainly entitled to your opinion on the matter, sir. May I ask at what point in your opinion does a truck become butchered? Anything beyond stock or just the extremes?
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #30
forestb

I'm beginning to wish I did not start this thread.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #31
The Rocknrod

Not me. How's this - wagon wheels.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #32
63burban
Chevy addict

Extremes, I grew up in the 60s and 70s so I guess I'm stuck with stock or vintage look. I'm really showing my age, aren't I ? Was always undecided until the last few years, the 60-70s Hot Rod stuff turns me on . Nothing like a set of Torque thrusts and custom paint and interior but still continuing to be a useful truck. Grew up on a farm, everything has to earn it's keep.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #33
Lugnutz65

Slammed is good and stock is good. Build what you want. If you build it a certain way JUST TO GET THE APPROVAL OF OTHER PEOPLE, then be prepared to get your feelings hurt sometime in the future when someone doesn’t think it’s cool anymore.

Now, what I really wanted to say is this . . . .
Did you ever notice how a partly finished truck gets more attention than you might think it should? That’s because people walk up to an unfinished truck (in primer, or needing body work) and they start thinking what they would do with it if it was their truck. Can’t do that with finished truck. They either like it or not.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #34
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
Extremes, I grew up in the 60s and 70s so I guess I'm stuck with stock or vintage look. I'm really showing my age, aren't I ? Was always undecided until the last few years, the 60-70s Hot Rod stuff turns me on . Nothing like a set of Torque thrusts and custom paint and interior but still continuing to be a useful truck. Grew up on a farm, everything has to earn it's keep.
I can respect that, the styling trends during my youth hopefully won't make a resurgence. Hurricane wheels, stink bug stances, ZR-1 roll pans, top to bottom fade paint jobs......Texas tails.
I do see these trucks come up for sale from time to time, so there is some early 90s time capsules still floating around.

I've met a hand full of people buying and selling on this site, they all showed off their trucks and I showed my genuine interest in their projects. I've dug through piles of trim at swap meets with guys I have nothing else in common with other than a love for vintage cars. No way I would tell any one of these people their trucks where "crap" because it didn't fit my own perception of what a hot rod is or should be.
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:59 PM   #35
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post
I'm in a predicament like this. Several years ago I purchase a set of 20" chrome aluminum Boss wheels. Now, I almost feel like I need to go to smaller wheel, maybe steel and go back to the fat tire look. But since I paid good money for these I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell these wheels and get as much as I can for them.

The truck should be done in a few months. I think I will stay with the 20's until I get some use out of them and then maybe sell them. At least I will know what it's like to have big wheels. I can then make a final decision after that.

Here's the look I will have:
I wouldn't worry about that being out of style. That is just about perfect.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #36
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Anything pretty much goes. It's in the eye of the beholder. They do what they like. I do what I like. We all do what we like. In style, out of style, - Who else should we do it for?

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:28 PM   #37
jbgroby

You mean this? Happy Thanksgiving Ya'll
Attached Images

jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #38
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
the only look in my opinion that will be close to timeless is restoring it back to original.
This is especially true of interiors.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #39
Sam63c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
You mean this? Happy Thanksgiving Ya'll
That’s just about perfect! Anybody know any details on this one?
Posted via Mobile Device
Sam63c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #40
jbgroby

Stole it off of s website called Suburban Man, look for the tab called Rides, they feature different rides each week.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:32 PM   #41
rvrfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack B View Post
Certainly entitled to your opinion on the matter, sir. May I ask at what point in your opinion does a truck become butchered? Anything beyond stock or just the extremes?
Maybe he is talking about a chop top?
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #42
jimmythompson1964

Me personally I like to modify but keep to what made it cool in the beginning, I like old school wheels, I like a good lowered stance, but not that will interfere with the Truck Factor, got to haul stuff. But most of all no matter if it's a rat rod primed, slammed, all stock, or off the chain custom I like to see quality workmanship
jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #43
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythompson1964 View Post
Me personally I like to modify but keep to what made it cool in the beginning, I like old school wheels, I like a good lowered stance, but not that will interfere with the Truck Factor, got to haul stuff. But most of all no matter if it's a rat rod primed, slammed, all stock, or off the chain custom I like to see quality workmanship
You got that right bro, butchered to me is a truck that has been made a danger on the road due to sloppy craftmanship.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote