The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
71copperhead

carrier bearing

i have a longbed '71 pickup, and we had replaced the factory carrier bearing and the replacement lasted a year or two, then it tore the rubber out from the mount, so we replaced it again, and only drove it 1 time before it just totally ripped it off the mount. i'm thinking about looking into the one piece driveshaft, just curious as to what year and model of truck to get it out of. any help is appreciated, thank you
Attached Images

71copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
demian5

Re: carrier bearing

Coil or leaf spring truck? Another guy just went through this.

Read through this and see if it applies before we do the rodeo over again:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762070
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC

Last edited by demian5; 04-24-2018 at 11:14 AM.
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
davepl

I dunno the answer, but "it shouldn't do that". I'd be afraid that by putting in a different driveshaft you're potentially masking the problem. But I don't know what the problem is!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
sick472

I have done some extensive reading on single vs dual drive shafts and the conversions and have come to the conclusion that the dual shaft design is great for our common truck builds. (I encourage you to do your own research and come to your own conclusions as I do not consider myself the end-all-be-all) Meaning that, unless you are getting into some serious horsepower and other out of the norm mods...the dual shaft design is what you want.

I suspect that you have a drive shaft problem. Out of balance, bent, or mismatched parts. There are quite a few combinations of pieces in these old drive shaft assemblies that can be mismatched from year to year and from coil to leaf spring applications. Again, do some reading and verify that you have the appropriate parts before jumping into the conversion. Most all of us have no problems with the dual shafts and some of us push 400 plus HP.

Have you lowered the truck?

What rear springs do you have? Has that ever been switched from one to the other?

Do you suspect that the new carrier bearing was bad out of the box?

EDIT, btw WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
CC69Rat

Drive shaft harmonics can destroy the carrier bearing fairly quickly and as others have mentioned, it usually just means the pinion angle is off. It wont take much to fix it, I / We just need to know some things to help you.

As mentioned, my first question would be is it lowered ?

Can you post a picture from the side of the truck, down low so we can see underneath it and the angle of the front of the pinion at ride height ? We'll start there.

Welcome to the board ! We'll get it figured out.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:25 AM   #6
Ironangel

Your drive shaft(s) have probably taken a hit from a rock or a raccoon etc. Get it balanced or repaired and you should be good to go. As far as going to a one piece drive shaft, to each their own but I NEVER will. Whoever stated that one piece shafts are for higher horsepower applications needs to keep researching! All the muscle cars ran, and still do run two piece drive shafts, and for very good reasons. Somebody else right away goes to "pinion angle"...? If you haven't changed anything or slammed the truck down then your pinion angle is a moot subject. I've been running/pounding my identical carrier bearings with a 450+ HP Big Block for years now, and towing my drag truck with an identical carrier bearing behind a salty 350 small block for years as well. So this leads me to believe that perhaps the new carrier bearings are defective or, the drive shaft assemblies are bent and/or out of balance..."Just Sayin"
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
Dibber13

Angry Re: carrier bearing

Can some please direct me to a carrier bearing MOUNT like the one in my profile picture. I cannot find this type of mount ANYWHERE on the web....
Dibber13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibber13 View Post
Can some please direct me to a carrier bearing MOUNT like the one in my profile picture. I cannot find this type of mount ANYWHERE on the web....
That's a 3/4 ton one. Also,m CPP makes an adapter that allows you to use this bearing on a truck that uses the other bearing.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #9
papsoldblue72

I would love to do the same with my truck but mine being a long bed truck the question becomes will it interfere with the trailing arm brace??? mine is a leaf spring truck so I guess I could take it out and make something else or cut it out …. I don't know....

It's been a long time coming... It's time to get it done..
papsoldblue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #10
Dibber13

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
That's a 3/4 ton one. Also,m CPP makes an adapter that allows you to use this bearing on a truck that uses the other bearing.

I have a 1970 1 ton dump. Thank you
Old 06-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #11
Dibber13

I need a replacement crossmember. Mine is badly rotted
Old 06-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #12
demian5

Quote:
I need a replacement crossmember. Mine is badly rotted
Ah ok, that makes more sense.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #13
Dibber13

I have searched for a month trying to locate this particular type of carrier crossmember ��
Any advice on where else I can look..?
Old 06-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #14
Hart_Rod

Quote:
I have searched for a month trying to locate this particular type of carrier crossmember ��
Are you talking about the mount that allows you to use the Heavy Duty carrier bearing? If so, I have one.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:12 PM   #15
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Your looking for a 3/4 ton crossmenber 63-72 for that style of bearing, possibly one ton also. Check the classified section for some one parting a truck or Burban.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #16
Dibber13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Are you talking about the mount that allows you to use the Heavy Duty carrier bearing? If so, I have one.
Yes! My truck is a 1970 1 ton Dump truck. Can you take a picture. ? I am in NEED of one. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #17
68Gold/white

I'm a Chevy guy, not even a doubt, but that ruinated carrier bearing assy. in post 1 is not unusual. I sold auto parts from 1985-1998, sold a ton of those specific carrier bearings. Had problems with waaay too many. Part of the problem is they are made poorly, AND designed poorly!!!

When I get my 67 and 68 going NEITHER will have that mickey mouse carrier bearing setup!!!

My 68 has an entirely different (and better) carrier bearing setup. Two pieces of metal that, kinda look like two clamshell half pieces, that bolt together. It has this type CB, because the engine is a 396. Others here have them on longhorn editions. I will not use this deal either, the driveshaft is too small in diameter....
Someone here is looking for just the rubber for one of these, I don't have a clue.

Dibber, I don't know what the frame looks like under your pickup, BUT, IF the crossmember attaches to the frame sides, you might be able to use a craoomember like in post 1 that fits 1/2 and 3/4 tones. You might be able to adapt a large piece of angle iron to adapt the carrier bearing the your pickup has now. You'd want to measure where your carrier bearing assy hangs, from maybe the bed floor, so you could get it back exactly in that position. The piece that's in post one, that holds that particular carrier bearing is riveted to that crossmember, you'd ahve to drill out the rivets, and/or grind them down also, none it that will be easy or fun. If this is possible, you may have to let the carrier bearing hang down, instead of having it positioned like on your pickup....

The other choice might be to make a new crossmember. I've seen a lot of these pickups, and your's has a pretty uncommon crossmember and type of carrier bearing for a pickup made priior to 1973...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #18
Dibber13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
I'm a Chevy guy, not even a doubt, but that ruinated carrier bearing assy. in post 1 is not unusual. I sold auto parts from 1985-1998, sold a ton of those specific carrier bearings. Had problems with waaay too many. Part of the problem is they are made poorly, AND designed poorly!!!

When I get my 67 and 68 going NEITHER will have that mickey mouse carrier bearing setup!!!

My 68 has an entirely different (and better) carrier bearing setup. Two pieces of metal that, kinda look like two clamshell half pieces, that bolt together. It has this type CB, because the engine is a 396. Others here have them on longhorn editions. I will not use this deal either, the driveshaft is too small in diameter....
Someone here is looking for just the rubber for one of these, I don't have a clue.

Dibber, I don't know what the frame looks like under your pickup, BUT, IF the crossmember attaches to the frame sides, you might be able to use a craoomember like in post 1 that fits 1/2 and 3/4 tones. You might be able to adapt a large piece of angle iron to adapt the carrier bearing the your pickup has now. You'd want to measure where your carrier bearing assy hangs, from maybe the bed floor, so you could get it back exactly in that position. The piece that's in post one, that holds that particular carrier bearing is riveted to that crossmember, you'd ahve to drill out the rivets, and/or grind them down also, none it that will be easy or fun. If this is possible, you may have to let the carrier bearing hang down, instead of having it positioned like on your pickup....

The other choice might be to make a new crossmember. I've seen a lot of these pickups, and your's has a pretty uncommon crossmember and type of carrier bearing for a pickup made priior to 1973...
Wow..! That is a heck of an answer... Thank you for the support.. The way I see it, the part lasted thru 48+ years; rain, snow and hundreds of tons of weight so I think it served its purpose...
Since I cannot seem to find on, I started to fab a replica..
Thanks again!!
Old 06-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #19
Mike C

That is the HD carrier bearing and there wasn't a lot of rhyme or reason to when they were installed it seems. My 69 short step 307 leaf spring truck has the HD bearing so you never know what you will find them in.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #20
firedemon

mine did the exact same thing I don't know if it was cheep metal or crummy spotwelds I welded it back together with a good solid bead all the way around been a year now still holding well . well see though just added a line loc
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #21
Dibber13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
That is the HD carrier bearing and there wasn't a lot of rhyme or reason to when they were installed it seems. My 69 short step 307 leaf spring truck has the HD bearing so you never know what you will find them in.
Yes Mike, I have a 70' C30 Dump (leaf) and I need the Assembly (frame to frame) mount that holds the carrier bearing.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #22
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
Your drive shaft(s) have probably taken a hit from a rock or a raccoon etc. Get it balanced or repaired and you should be good to go. As far as going to a one piece drive shaft, to each their own but I NEVER will. Whoever stated that one piece shafts are for higher horsepower applications needs to keep researching! All the muscle cars ran, and still do run two piece drive shafts, and for very good reasons. Somebody else right away goes to "pinion angle"...? If you haven't changed anything or slammed the truck down then your pinion angle is a moot subject. I've been running/pounding my identical carrier bearings with a 450+ HP Big Block for years now, and towing my drag truck with an identical carrier bearing behind a salty 350 small block for years as well. So this leads me to believe that perhaps the new carrier bearings are defective or, the drive shaft assemblies are bent and/or out of balance..."Just Sayin"
No not correct. All GM 67 to 72 A Body cars: Chevelles, Pontiacs, Buicks and Olds use single piece driveshafts. I not aware of any GM muscle cars that use a two piece driveshaft. Typically two piece driveshafts are used for long wheel based vehicles.

If you have seen a GM 67 to 72 A Body with a two piece driveshaft someone has modified the driveline and it is not a factory setup.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #23
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post

You will find that setup on 3/4 ton long bed GMCs. My 70 2500 GMC long bed Camper Special with a 350 SB and a Turbo 350 has that style support bearing.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:39 PM   #24
CastIron

This may or may not be helpful, but this is what my '69 C1500 (307/3 speed manual trans) long wheelbase with leaf springs looks like:
Attached Images

Last edited by CastIron; 06-06-2018 at 10:43 PM. Reason: more info
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:49 AM   #25
Dibber13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
This may or may not be helpful, but this is what my '69 C1500 (307/3 speed manual trans) long wheelbase with leaf springs looks like:
My Carrier crossmember looks a lot like my trans crossmember. Mine is way different than the one in you picture but thank you!