The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #101
ubtripn

Re: Would you trade your glamour truck for a brand new Chevy?

I..Love...That.....Pic - Best of both worlds is definitely cool.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #102
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Would I trade 60-70s music for today's? Heck no. Wouldn't trade my truck either. If I wanted a new truck, I wouldn't spend so many $ on my project.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #103
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Yes, more complexity = more potential problems. Looking back a few decades, I recall thinking the same about frivolities like power steering, power windows, air conditioning.... and slightly later, catalytic converters (in fact, any pollution control devices / systems) and probably a few other things.

Hopefully, today's 'new stuff' will eventually prove to be reliable enough to be accepted by the skeptics. I am including myself.
Thing is the new stuff in trucks is SO much more reliable than the old trucks that even with 10X as many things to go wrong, they're still more reliable.

What's about the worst you could get for a truck, a 77 half ton (no offense to those who love those, I mean mechanically from GM)? It's a very simple truck with very few parts and features, but it's just not a very reliable vehicle.

Think of a Rolex and how complicated it is, yet properly designed, they run for decades until parts wear out completely (yes, you're supposed to service them).

I've got old trucks, my favorite being my '70 2500. And I've got a new Tahoe, a new Escalade, and a new 1500. They're very different. I love the '70 more than all of them of course but if I had to get somewhere an get there reliably, I'm taking the Escalade.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:12 AM   #104
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Agreed, they'll take you across the country and back and there should not be a fuss of it. I remember the old days when long distance and an auto-shop approached co-dependent.

I've yet to see a leak in any of my Toyotas. If my rebuild let's me down, then I won't know what it's like to have an old Chevy without one

That said, it would be very cool to put a 67-72 body on top a 300K mile drive train. Add a vintage trailer, pretty nice.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 11-18-2018, 03:36 AM   #105
rustytruck50

I would not....headaches a side with my '72 this past summer, it's just neater...and I've had a few late models that I enjoyed.

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #106
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I have always drove old vehicles they get me everywhere i go. I've never been on a tow truck. I'm a mechanics son and he always told me fix or maintain what you have don't buy something else. I would never pay the prices for these new vehicles,or trade for one. I have no payments and keeping it that way. Some of the problems are the cheap parts that are made today compared to the original parts that would last for years. The modern paved roads help, years ago your car was sucking dust on mostly dirt/gravel roads which didn't help the life either. To sum up what i'm saying.EVERYTHING MAN MADE WILL FAIL AT SOME POINT! Its funny in a way my wife's parents wanted her to get a new truck back when she was going to college. Bought her a 02 gmc and it left her stranded on the road 3 times, my buddy has a new $70,000 ford one ton diesel and its on its third oil leak, he was fussing at me friday about it

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 11-18-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #107
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubscrub View Post
I have always drove old vehicles they get me everywhere i go. I've never been on a tow truck. I'm a mechanics son and he always told me fix or maintain what you have don't buy something else. I would never pay the prices for these new vehicles,or trade for one. I have no payments and keeping it that way. Some of the problems are the cheap parts that are made today compared to the original parts that would last for years. The modern paved roads help, years ago your car was sucking dust on mostly dirt paved roads which didn't help the life either. To sum up what i'm saying.EVERYTHING MAN MADE WILL FAIL AT SOME POINT! Its funny in a way my wife's parents wanted her to get a new truck back when she was going to college. Bought her a 02 gmc and it left her stranded on the road 3 times, my buddy has a new $70,000 ford one ton diesel and its on its third oil leak, he was fussing at me friday about it
Yeah my mom has a newer Cadillac. So many gadgets, and she's had system problems. The car dumbs you down, tells you how to think and fools itself. Blows my mind some Fords and that are 70K. 20 years from now they'll be worth 8-10K while a nice 67-72 80Kish. Personally, I'd never buy a newer Dodge, Ford or GM.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #108
weq92f

The last GM vehicle I purchased new was not reliable at all ( Opti-Spark ), but I'll have to agree that these latest gen appear to be much better, even with the tech bloat.

My '07 DD, while usually always needing some attention and certainly full of tech and very complex systems, has been one of my most reliable in terms of the number of times it has stranded me on the side of the road.

I think on board fault assessment and management coupled with the ability to intelligently manage the systems after the fault has been isolated have made for some much more reliable drive-trains. That is if you measure it like I do.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #109
67 twins

No. Between the wife & I we currently own 5 trucks. Two 67 C10s,a 67 C20, a 72 C1500 & an 08 Ford crew cab. Once I get the last C10 I purchased lined out the Ford will be sold
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #110
cardude

YES!! Then I'd scour Craigslist and find another that needs rescued and start over from scratch!
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #111
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtripn View Post
A funny thing happened yesterday, I saw a brand new 4 wheel drive Chevy that was almost taller than me with a stock suspension. It was orange like my 68 two wheel drive and I was just looking at it. A salesman came up and started trying to sell it to me. I told him that I built the Chevy I was driving expressly to NOT have computers, thin metal and simulated chrome etc.. I wanted a simple, dependable, easy to work on, all metal truck. (I should have taken a photo side by side because wow have trucks changed as you all know) but I realized at that moment that I would not even trade straight across much less pay 50-60K for a truck. It seems unreasonable but I wouldn't. I built my Chevy to drive and I drive it. And they are hard to find this day in age. Now maybe if I was rich then I would have both but....would you trade yours for a brand new version?
Sure I'd trade my 72 rust loving C20 for a new Chevy, though I'd rather have a Toyota. No I wouldn't trade my C10 for a Chevy, Toyota or anything else with a bed.

I can't stand new vehicles. All the (*^(^ gadgets. As if I can't open/close a trunk or window on my own. Less maybe a woman behind me standing in a bikini, I sure don't need a back-up camera. Side cameras, this indicator and that. At the end of the day these things dumb people down as we become more lazy.