The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2003, 02:38 AM   #1
iluvmy72

Question might move from Cali to Utah.....

But how do I protect the old girl....I hear they salt the living crap out of the streets there during the winter.......what do I do.....what should be first?......the word salt scares the crud out of me. I'm proud my truck isn't from the rust belt but now I might freak out.....someone please help.
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:42 AM   #2
Alexis
Member since 2000

get a winter beater
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 04:32 AM   #3
iluvmy72

ha....it's a beater right now
Old 08-15-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
stea

What part of Utah?. Im about 20 miles south of Salt Lake.
stea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 12:23 PM   #5
iluvmy72

Provo
Old 08-15-2003, 12:52 PM   #6
GoFaSSter

I used to live there and I would go to the coin-op car wash and sparay off the underside about every 2 weeks. Look for areas that can hold crap inthem(wheelwell lips etc.) I never got any rust on my vehicles. Also, they usually only get no more than a couple of heavy storms each year in Provo. If you can, do nott drive while the snow melts away and do not drive during or just after the first storm. Most of the college kids that can not drive wreck their cars during that first storm.
GoFaSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 01:06 PM   #7
stea

sitting at work in Provo right now. Winters have been really mild lately. Dont think I even shoveled my driveway last winter. But it does ice up alot. If u do move here just keep it clean and pay the most attention to the underside and all the places salt collects.
stea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 10:42 PM   #8
70blazer

I live about 20 miles north of Salt Lake and agree with the previous info. If you have an already clean rust free truck, you can keep it that way with a few extra washes in the winter and maybe using another vehicle on a few days in the winter.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:06 AM   #9
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
I just went out and bought a $500 Honda Accord to use as my beater. When I moved here from Tucson, Az. I didnt know the first thing about snow and salt. I didnt wash my truck for a few weeks and one day put the truck up on the lift at work, and my frame had surface rust on it. I took out the pressure washer, a scotch brite pad and went to work. 8 cans of rustoleum later, and my frame was looking as good as new. Now, I dont drive the truck unless the roads are clean.
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 04:59 AM   #10
iluvmy72

thanks guys........now how are the boneyards in Utah?
Old 08-16-2003, 11:30 AM   #11
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Not too bad, but then the ones in Tucson were a lot better( no rust). I know where there is an impound yard that has a 1960 El Camino, an old 56 F100 and a couple of early Biscaynes. But that was all I could see from the road. I really want that ElCo. Ive got plans for that one. Why are you moving to Utah anyway? Just courious.
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:50 PM   #12
iluvmy72

Wrench

I'm not moving yet.......I will be there this week to look for work......any job is better than what is going on here. I've been laid off for 2 1/2 months and there is no hope in site with the State of Californias unemployment rate.....everytime something remotly becomes available, there is about 4-500 people applying the first 2 days. The industry here in Bakersfield is terrible. There are layoffs right and left. And there are a few jobs available but you would have to move to LA or the Bay Area and the cost of living is through the roof that it's not even worth it. I have been in contact with my Uncle who is my financial advisor, and he says that it's going to take 5-8 years for this state to recover because right now there is no end in site for companies pulling the plug. I don't have that much time. I am going to be staying with family members until I can find a place for my family to move to. I was born in Provo.....kinda funny as fate would have me move back after I left as a 1 year old. And I also want to go to school in Utah since the California college system is also cutting back on its programs that this would be a better all around idea as well. I have a wife and a 6 month old son to think about. California is a beautiful place. But it's expensive and overpopulated. Unemployment is 13.8% in this state right now......that's almost 6 million people. I have a few interviews lined up this next week......if you know any places that's looking for and IT guy with experience or heck even a job bagging groceries, let me know. I'll work it!!....
Old 08-16-2003, 12:52 PM   #13
iluvmy72

Do I have to pass smog? I'm exempt in Cali.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:19 PM   #14
casey

good luck iluvmy72, hope it all works out for you and your family, hopefully a board member can hook you up with something, sounds like you have your priorities right, keep us posted
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 02:09 PM   #15
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Yes, you would have to pass a smog and saftey inspection. 67 is the cut off year. I dont know of any jobs off hand, but I will keep my eyes and ears open.
John
Old 08-16-2003, 02:14 PM   #16
iluvmy72

what are Utahs laws on the truck themselves?......here in Cali the Vin number off of the frame is what gives the truck it's ID and not the number in the cab. I plan on putting my parts on a shorter frame anyway......would I get away from passing smog on a 67 frame?
Old 08-16-2003, 06:47 PM   #17
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

You know, Im not sure but I think they go off of the vin tag. I dont think it would be hard to find one from a 67 though. I might beable to get you a job hauling mobile office trailers with my brother. All you would have to do is pull the trailer and set it up. I have done it with him on weekends. He has 3 trucks available with only 2 drivers. I worked with him on a saturday and made $200. But the only down side is that you would have to live in SLC. Just a thought.