The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
Motoreric

What cam to put in my 383 with l31 vottec heads

I have a 383 with L 31 Vortech heads that can take up to a 600 lift I was told I need to be careful on choosing my cam specs does anybody have any idea what I need tobe looking for thanks first time on the message board
Posted via Mobile Device
Motoreric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
Motoreric

Re: What cam to put in my 383 with l31 vottec heads

I have a 1972 long bed trying to restore I have had bad luck with the motor that came with it I bought a scat 9000 stroker crank and I'm putting forged I've been rods and Kieth black dish pistons but the next thing is picking a cam for the L 31 Vortech heads hoping somebody out there knows what to look for I bought the heads from my boss he runs a circle track on the weekends he said he put about $1000 into the head's has double Springs 716 studs he said he could handle a 600s lift thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

You might like this link:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56505

I have some fresh Vortec 062 heads (1.94; 1.60's) sitting on the bench waiting for me to do something with them. But it's all research for me for now...$$$$$$.

I will say three things:

1) If you're building a motor around those heads, make ABSOLUTELY SURE you know what the lift stats are...taking a PO's word for the build can be dangerous.

2) Don't "over-cam". Mechanicalman (whether he knows it or not) is my, "what-goes-with-what" guru on this forum.

3) You will probably get better info from the Forumites if you separate your thoughts with some punctuation. I can't read speed writing. But it's not about me.
Some folks that have way better information for you than I do just won't read your posts. That is, if you don't "come up for air" while you're writing.

I'm just sayin'.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
Dustytrix

I had same build with gm hot cam, its a medium size cam and used it for dd. Sounds great also.
Dustytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #5
Motoreric

Thanks for the info guys I think I will go have the heads checked to make sure I want something aggressive just for a weekend hot rod but not sure what works with those heads if those do have stock lift springs what would be A good cam for that set up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
Crabass

You haven't supplied nearly enough info on which to select a camshaft. Best thing for you to do is first determine exactly the specs for those heads, then call Comp cams and ask for tech assistance. They will list for you the rest of the specs they need to pick your cam, and the list will be substantial. Call them back with the required info and they will help you avoid the mistakes that many others routinely make.

Vortecs are pretty good heads if applied correctly. There is a lot of good info about them online that would help you understand their strengths and weaknesses.

Also, that is very good advice given in post #3 by, uh, how do you pronounce that.....?
Crabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:26 PM   #7
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabass View Post

also, that is very good advice given in post #3 by, uh, how do you pronounce that.....?
"m-17".
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote