The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
gigamanx

Simple Alternator Wiring PLIS SFLP question for wiring harness

So I'm pretty sure I've had my alternator wired wrong this whole time. Brand new Remy 21108 and got a brand new battery. Just this morning, truck started a few times while I was messing around then it couldn't start.

So I found this white wire, #14 called an "Alternator Exciter" in my JEGS wiring harness motor group.

The Remy alternator has a 4 pin connector and I currently have nothing connected to it. Where should this white wire be connected? I read I could somehow "jump" the big alternator peg to the "S" pin, but that wasn't the best idea. Does white go to the "S" or does white go to the "F" for field?

Can't seem to find a picture on Google or hear for my particular situation. Could someone help dumbsplain this to me

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: Simple Alternator Wiring PLIS SFLP question for wiring harness

the part number doesn't really explain anything as far as what alternator you have. I mean, we could spend time googling it to find out but, a couple of pics of the unit and the electrical plug would probably help a bunch. if you know what it came from that would help too.
worst case scenario, if no replies, call an alternator repair/rebuild place and ask.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:56 AM   #3
mr48chev

It's the same alternator that comes on a 96 1500 4 pin. I have one out in the shed that I paid 3.00 for at a yard sale. That one I just stuck on the shelf in case my son needed it for his 2k GMC

Here is what may work https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hm...s/3728021.html

If that doesn't give you the info you are looking for search through https://www.google.com/search?q=Wiri...hrome&ie=UTF-8

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #4
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
the part number doesn't really explain anything as far as what alternator you have. I mean, we could spend time googling it to find out but, a couple of pics of the unit and the electrical plug would probably help a bunch. if you know what it came from that would help too.
worst case scenario, if no replies, call an alternator repair/rebuild place and ask.
I've got pictures for ya...I did go the google route at first but can't find an example that helps me understand if I should be jumping the wire on this particular alternator for the "S" pin or if that is where the #14 Alternator exciter wire is supposed to go. I also need a pigtail since I don't have the plug for that. So far, all the pigtails I found don't match the color codes of my wiring harness.

Alternator is supposedly matching a 1995 Chevy C1500 SBC 350.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Old 06-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
gigamanx

Looks like maybe this one would be right if I were jumping the red wire to the alternator peg

http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...-Terminal.html

Old 06-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
starterman99

That alternator is a CS130D series delco 105 amp alternator. The terminals are PLIS
P=stator phase terminal
L= light terminal
I= Ignition terminal
S= sense terminal

This alternator was turned on in the original application thru the light terminal. It had power supplied to it from the dash charge indicator light. It has to have a resistor in the circuit.Some say between 35 and 350 ohms.
It can also be turned on using the I terminal
It has an internal voltage sensing circuit but if you want to sense battery voltage downstream from alternator output terminal you can use the S terminal.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by starterman99 View Post
That alternator is a CS130D series delco 105 amp alternator. The terminals are PLIS
P=stator phase terminal
L= light terminal
I= Ignition terminal
S= sense terminal

This alternator was turned on in the original application thru the light terminal. It had power supplied to it from the dash charge indicator light. It has to have a resistor in the circuit.Some say between 35 and 350 ohms.
It can also be turned on using the I terminal
It has an internal voltage sensing circuit but if you want to sense battery voltage downstream from alternator output terminal you can use the S terminal.
So in this case, I/F would be the white "Alternator exciter" and S would be a piggy back to the alternator B+ peg to sense voltage. I don't have a wire for a light terminal.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
starterman99

Yes the white could be hooked up to I terminal. you dont need the S terminal hooked up for it to work. It has internal sensing.

Last edited by starterman99; 06-15-2018 at 04:49 PM.
starterman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #9
Russell Ashley

Gigamanx, not being critical, but I would re-do the connector at the main post. I think you stripped too much insulation, and there's no support for the wire. I think it would either break or just come out of the crimp eventually from vibration. It's a good idea to use shrink tubing over that type connector.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:44 AM   #10
MiraclePieCo

4-pin plug:
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #11
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
4-pin plug:
I found that image also, but it contradicts what was mentioned earlier that the alternator is self sensing (ignore S) and I would connect the white wire to the I/F terminal. In the picture, I/F would be ignored.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #12
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Gigamanx, not being critical, but I would re-do the connector at the main post. I think you stripped too much insulation, and there's no support for the wire. I think it would either break or just come out of the crimp eventually from vibration. It's a good idea to use shrink tubing over that type connector.
I don't mind the constructive criticism. I am an amateur at this so I haven't learned my lessons about what breaks in a vibrating vehicle I'd rather not learn it all the hard way.