The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2018, 12:33 AM   #1
bigmoe

Modify a tailgate to make it removable?

Anyone ever make a tailgate removable like the modern tailgates? I guess it would involve modifying one trunnion and cutting a slot in the bottom of one side of the tailgate hole.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:09 AM   #2
jocko

Re: Modify a tailgate to make it removable?

Probably doable (and I'd do it exactly how you describe, same as the new trucks), but keep in mind that for the newer, removable tailgates, they sell tailgate locks to make them harder to remove (by a thief). So, there's good/bad to both sides of the equation. As often as I might (not) need to remove my tailgate quickly, I'd rather not worry about it getting stolen the other 99.9% of the time.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:12 AM   #3
oem4me

If you didn't already know, the '58-'66 gates are removable: Remove bottom bolt from left and right trunnions, pivot gate to horizontal position, support tailgate and remove upper bolts, maintain horizontal position and lift one end of gate until trunnion clears socket and you're out. No guarantees made on a scratch-free result, but they do come out easily enough.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #4
bigmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
If you didn't already know, the '58-'66 gates are removable: Remove bottom bolt from left and right trunnions, pivot gate to horizontal position, support tailgate and remove upper bolts, maintain horizontal position and lift one end of gate until trunnion clears socket and you're out. No guarantees made on a scratch-free result, but they do come out easily enough.
I realize that but my truck isn’t even painted yet and I’m stressing about scratches, lol. I’m planning on removing the chains and I’ve been looking at some nice shiny marine latches and I’ll need to install some cable limiters.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
The Rocknrod

Mark-K makes tailgates with -latches and links - http://www.mar-k.com/Catalog/index.aspx?LID=16178
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
61K10

I did this on mine just like you described. Just like my 2k 1500,works ok. No way could i even slide mine between the rails, at least by myself. You have to maybe leave the bedside's loose at the bottom and spread them out a little. Still scratches? This was on a fleet-side.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
dracko

I’m currently prepping my truck for paint and plan to do this in the very near future, to help make reassembly a breeze. Removing 4 bolts while balancing a tailgate is not what i’d consider quick removal. I did see pics of this mod either online or InstaGram but can’t seem to find them. But the guy did exactly what you mention, cut the trunnion flat on each side, I was thinking 9/16” , set at about 20 degree angle, then cut a 5/8” slot in the bottom of the tailgate.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
crewguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracko View Post
I’m currently prepping my truck for paint and plan to do this in the very near future, to help make reassembly a breeze. Removing 4 bolts while balancing a tailgate is not what i’d consider quick removal. I did see pics of this mod either online or InstaGram but can’t seem to find them. But the guy did exactly what you mention, cut the trunnion flat on each side, I was thinking 9/16” , set at about 20 degree angle, then cut a 5/8” slot in the bottom of the tailgate.
Want to do the same. Let us know how it turns out
crewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Tailgate theft around the area would prevent me from making my tailgate easier to remove.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote