The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #1
Putzer

69 step side build (lots of pics)(needs lots of help)

Bought a 1969 c10 step side last week with the idea in mind that I wanted to fix it up and make it a daily with some good power. The current motor was advertised as having a wrist pin noise and it definitely has something wrong with it but im not sure as i havent yanked it yet. The previous owner also told me it was a 350/350 but im not really sure as there are no markings i can see right now to verify. The plan is to put a LQ4/4L80E into it with some upgrades- heads, intake, cam and TB. At the same time, upgrade the suspension and brakes and then the interior.

Yesterday I picked up the 6L LQ4 with the tranny and ECU for $1300. I was told it was from a 2005, 2500 HD with about 130k miles. The cut all the wires, crimped all the hoses and lines and broke them when they cut it out of the wrecked truck. I think i got a good deal?

Today I was able to get my buddy to come over and help me unload it. Once unloaded I got to work by taking off the intake and headers where a few of the heads snapped off the bolts Luckily i think theres enough thread on them to grab hold of and turn. Any recommendations on how to get these guys out? I also drained all the oil and transmission fluids. I ran and got a new tranny filter and installed that while i was in there.

I havent ever done anything like this so please chime in and give me pointers and tips along the way.
Attached Images

Putzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:23 PM   #2
Putzer

Re: 69 step side build (lots of pics)(needs lots of help)

Few more pics
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
Putzer

Anybody have an idea how to remove the clutch fan? The fan will spin independently of the nut and black housing but the nut and housing are mated together. I tried the whole put a big wrench and smack it hoping it loosens the nut but it just spins everything. I have no way to hold the black housing still.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
ryans69chevy

Getting those header bolts out I would first spray them with some penetrating oil every day for a few days so it has time to soak down into the threads. Then I would try to grab onto them with a vice grip. If that doesn't work you could either weld a nut onto them and get a socket for some more torque. Or you could use heat and grab a torch to heat the area around the bolt and then spray some of that ice in a can? can't remember the name of it. It's an aerosol can that freezes whatever you spray. So you are using hot and cold to expand and contract the bolt. I've done both ways. Both of which are almost a last resort before drilling the bolt out and tapping a new hole. I would do the penetrating oil first that would be the easiest.

Good luck. Nice truck! Show us more pics!
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #5
splatrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzer View Post
Anybody have an idea how to remove the clutch fan? The fan will spin independently of the nut and black housing but the nut and housing are mated together. I tried the whole put a big wrench and smack it hoping it loosens the nut but it just spins everything. I have no way to hold the black housing still.
Those are generally left hand thread. You will need to rent or borrow a special fan clutch wrench tool. Try Advance and see if they have it as part of the loan a tool program. A friend of mine tried to muscle his off and broke it because he was treating it as right hand thread.

From the looks of that motor, it looks like it came from the salt belt. Almost better to soak the entire engine in rust penetrant.
1978 El Camino SS, LT1 swap
2016 Camaro SS
splatrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #6
Putzer

Thanks for the advice guys. I was actually able to get the fan clutch off by 3m taping a rachet strap to the housing and then wrapping it around it to keep it from spinning. Hit it good with a large wrench attached and wahla!

I'm getting 243 heads so I'm not going to worry about the snapped off bolts right now.

Small update and change of plans- I think I'm going to just do 243 heads, TBSS intake and TB, LTH and exhaust and put the money elsewhere. I'd like to put it into some parts that would help make the truck crusie down the road at 75 mph. Any suggestions? I would like some input on gears and rear axle upgrades. I know I'm going to upgrade the suspension I just don't know what I'm going to do yet. Any input is much appreciated.

Last edited by Putzer; 06-18-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
Putzer

Small update with both the body and the engine.

Engine- I found some seriously questionable..debris, inside the heads and the 243 heads fell through so i decided to have both the rotating assembly and heads looked at by an engine shop. I plan to mill them .030 and have also bought a TSP cam-228/228, .600/.600, 114 LSA, 110 ICL. Some other parts I have bought include boyds EFI tank, all hoses and fittings to run the tank, all body mount bushings, trans bushing, and DD engine mount plates.

Body- I was able to get the bed off. All of the bolts just had the nut started and nothing was tight. I plan to remove the seat and old gas tank soon and mock up the gas tank to get it installed.

Questions & Concerns- When I was backing the truck in to the garage after taking the bed off the truck one of the rear wheels started to come off the ground. I think this is probably due to the PO heating the springs and sagging them so drastically. Im worried that i wont be able to drop the 6L lq4 and 4l80e in there without some serious weight in the bed. Would you all recommend replacing the springs/shocks etc? I am planning to upgrade the suspension in the future with a 3" drop in front with spindles and 4" rear drop, tubular control arms and shocks. But i was going to do this after the engine was in to help spread out the cost over time. I also need to figure out radiator, aux trans cooler, trans shift linkage and the drive shaft.

Let me know what you guys think !
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2018, 03:28 AM   #8
dec010974

when was the last time that engine was running?
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
Putzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec010974 View Post
when was the last time that engine was running?
I was told less than a year ago. It looked like it fell over in concrete. Maybe it was in a serious mud truck?
Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzer View Post
I was told less than a year ago. It looked like it fell over in concrete. Maybe it was in a serious mud truck?
Not intending to sound negative, but whoever told you that wasn't being straight up with you.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #11
kiwikid

i agree with Rickysnickers if you what to use that engine do a complete tear down keep at it
kiwikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
Putzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Not intending to sound negative, but whoever told you that wasn't being straight up with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikid View Post
i agree with Rickysnickers if you what to use that engine do a complete tear down keep at it
I agree, that's why I dropped it off to a professional to go through it and see what's good and what needs replaced. Any thoughts on why the rear wheel would've come off the ground? Springs?
Old 11-08-2018, 11:40 PM   #13
Putzer

Project is still going. Motor is complete. Tranny is complete. Axles swapped out for 5. Lug, rebuilt rear drum brakes, cab is gone having someone do the welding/patch pannels. Working on springs/shocks now! Trying to cross off a major item every week.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #14
Putzer

Couple more pics. Had the trust washer fall out and took me a couple days to figure out how to get it back in without taking anything apart. I pushed the spring assembly to one side and then used a screw driver to create a little more space and it slipped back in.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #15
Putzer

Was able to remove the trailing arms/ubolts where they connect to the rear end in just a couple hours. Torch, hammer and angle grinder. Picking up an air compressor this week and some air tools to pop the rivets on the cross member. Finally an excuse to buy an air compressor ��
Old 11-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #16
Putzer

Old cross member out, new in. Had to get a little inventive to push out the frame about 1/8 inch to line holes up. I have a set of extra u bolts from ECE if anyone needs them.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #17
Putzer

Got a lot accomplished the other night. Trailing arms, shocks, springs and super trac bar installed along with the shock relocation kit!
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #18
Putzer

more done. waiting for BP control arms to arrive.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #19
Putzer

Still plugging away. Waiting for tires to get mounted then it will be be a roller.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #20
Putzer

It rides pretty low for a 1" drop spring and 2.5" drop spindle. Glad I didn't go any lower.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #21
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Looks great. You are moving right along. It is fun when you can keep the new parts rolling in.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:58 PM   #22
slowcpe

Nice progress!
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #23
Putzer

Radiator went in smooth. Took the old hoses off the water pump and it didn't look good inside so I took it off and took it apart. Ended up ordering a new one.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #24
Putzer

Ac compressor installed. Anybody know if my pulley is aligned correctly? Not sure what the middle line is on the housing. I assume the outer lines are min/max tension settings.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #25
Putzer

Cabs back and some other items finished up. Still plugging away.
Attached Images