The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2017, 10:42 PM   #1
LBJ

2004 Silverado 4WD Lever is Hard to Engage 4WD

This is the last year for the manual 4WD selector on the hump. Been working fine till now. Got out in the sticks over the weekend and tried to engage 4WD Low range but the shifter was stuck in 2WD. With lots of attempts to make it engage, finally went in low range 4WD but still had trouble moving into other selections. I could hear some gears grinding in some of the attempts to change modes.

Now, before Thanksgiving 2016, a guy rear-ended me which only caused some light sheet metal and bumper damage. I was able to drive the truck for another month without any hiccups and turn it over to the repair shop for new bumper and paint. Never sensed any trouble with the drive-ability of the truck. Could the rear-ending have damaged the 4WD system? Auto Transmission, not manual shift, by the way.

I've never paid attention to see if the shift linkage is outside the tranny system so don't know if the selector is internal to the transmission or outside. Just wonder if it just needs some grease and adjustment? I'm gonna be pissed at myself for not checking the 4WD before I got the truck fixed for ALL damages and closed out the claim on the other guy's insurance, if the wreck damaged the 4WD.

Thanks for your ideas. LBJ
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote