The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Tyner

child's seats in blazer?

Has anyone figured out how to put a shoulder harness seat belt in a blazer?
I need to put in the kids car seat that is for above 40lbs and it requires a lap belt and shoulder belt. Has anyone done a mod for this? I figure my options are to either put in a roll bar and have a belt attached to the roll bar or try to find a seat from a newer vehicle that has the belt built into the seat. Any one got picks of a roll bar set up or know of a vehicle that has that has a bench seat with a built in shoulder harness?
'01' Yamaha Raptor 660-Sand toy
Somehow they all ended up blue.
Tyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Rokcrln

Re: child's seats in blazer?

I assume this will be going into the rear seat. If so get the child seats with the teather strap. It is designed to use a regular lap belt and then it has a strap built into it that goes over the back of the seat and fastens to a hook in the floor. All the new cars now have this attachment point built in by law but you could add one to the blazer real easy. Just make sure you use a plate or seatbelt washers under the floor for it to bolt thru. If your car seat was built in the last few years it should have this strap on it or have came with it, ask your wife were it is

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

That's a pretty hard issue to do correctly. Securing to a dealer installed rollbar is probably unwise as it just bolts to the floor. If your vehicle was in a bad accident and rolled, the rollbar could punch through the floor taking the shoulder attachment point down with it while leaving the seat still attached to the floor.

I am by far no expert but know that should be a concern to keep in mind. Attaching seat belts to a roll cage can be done I believe when the seats are also a part of the roll cage.

Do lots of research on this issue to make sure you do this safely.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I did some extensive research, including calling the Washington State Buckle-up organization and the Washington State Police regarding child seats for larger children in a vehicle that isn't equipped with shoulder belts as I did not want to do irreverable modifications to my truck. There is only one brand of car seat with a 5 point harness designed for children 40-80 pounds and this is the only one that works with lap only belts. It is expensive at $180. I believe I have a link on my home computer.

Outside of this one seat, it isn't recommended to use a booster for larger children. It is considered safer to belt them in properly with the lap belt.

I believe it was TonyP who build some ingenious billet brackets for rear shoulder harnesses into his family style cage. As Yukon pointed out, it may be best to tie the cage into the frame or, at the very least, reinforce the floor so it doesn't break free in an accident.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:48 AM   #5
DANTES JIMMY

THE TEATHER THAT ROKCRLN WAS TALKIN ABOUT IS CALLED A L.A.T.C.H. SYSTEM (Lower Anchor Top Child Harness) IT IS ALL I USE EVEN IN MY 04 DENALI IT IS WAY WAY BETTER THAN WRESTLING THOSE STUPID SEAT BELTS AND I DONT HAVE A PIC BUT THAT IS WHAT I USE IN MY 72 GMC JIMMY
LAP BELT AND TEATHER OVER THE SEAT BACK TO THE SEAT BELT BRACKET ON THE SEAT
HOWEVER MY LITTLE GUY IS ONLY 19 MOS OLD AND WEIGHS 32 POUNDS
SO I DONT HAVE THE EXACT DEAL YOU HAVE
WHATEVER YOU DO BE SAFE GOD FORBID YOU WOULD NEVER FORGIVE YOURSELF IF SOMETHING EVER HAPPENED TO YOUR LITTLE ONE
DANTES JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
Tyner

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not concerned about the latch system I just need to find a way to get a shoulder and lap belt system like what you find in newer cars.
Bouncy, I'd be interested in getting the link to the car seat you described, but the bad thing is I would need to buy two so I'm hoping I can find a factory bench seat from some newer car.
I'm pretty sure my 99 silverado had the shoulder strap contained in the seat back so hopefully the benches from a tahoe or burban would use the same setup and be cheaper once I round up some hand-me-downs kids seats. Any More ideas guys?
'01' Yamaha Raptor 660-Sand toy
Somehow they all ended up blue.
Tyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:14 AM   #7
stokers

I just order a childs shoulder harness that uses the lap belts and wraps around the seat back. It is NHTSA approved and used for school buses. Since school bus seats are similar (basically a bench seat) I thought I would give it a try. We'll see.
Attached Images

stokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
72Levi

Stokers that looks good, where did you order that from? Thanks
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:37 AM   #9
stokers

This may be a better pic
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2008, 07:00 AM   #10
72Levi

I think I will try these for my two boys. They even sell some for adults. I can see buying some for the front seats, for my wife. I like them and will see if they work. Thanks again.
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #11
Mike C

Cool. Thanks for this. Here is a link to one vender:
http://www.easywaysafetyservices.com/gpage13.html

If you go to E-Z-On's home page, it says they have them for passenger cars as well. I haven't found if it is the same as the bus or different. I really want one of these for the Jimmy. May get two if my boy has a friend riding with us. I guess I need to get started on my cage.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
C10 Club Tennessee

I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if anybody ever got this and if it worked.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
C10 Club Tennessee

ttt

www.gmtruckshow.com

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
Old 11-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
C10 Club Tennessee

So nobody decided to go this route?

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 02-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
AK70SWB

anyone have use these??
Old 02-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #16
stokers

I ordered them but they did not work. The strap that goes around the seat back was too long, as it was made to be used with a taller bus seat back. So, when you tightened it down you came to the end of the strap before it actually was tight on you blazer seat. If they made one for a smaller seat it would have been perfect. I ended up having a roll cage with seatbelt mounts for the front and rear made. Was more expensive but makes my wife feel better.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
NorthernMatthew

Adding myself onto this thread for future consideration.
NorthernMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #18
mister.freeze

I've done this. My back seat is out of a suburban; I welded the mounts to the floor so it's as good as the suburban was. I removed the upholstery and welded in a bracket to the back of the seat frame for the shoulder portion to mount to. I then replaced the lap belts with an aftermarket shoulder setup. The original suburban belts attached to the seat, and the seat to the floor. I put the upholstery back on and bolted the shoulder portion through the cover. The result is a shoulder setup that can hold a car seat or person as intended. Pretty simple setup; my bracket was like a gusset across the corner of the seat frame with a nut welded to the inside. It was the only way the wife was going to let me drive the kids around. I don't know about factory blazer seats, but I would suspect that the belts are part of the seat and not directly to the floor. If that's the case, then the frame is intended to be strong enough and this method should work.

After doing all this, I noticed a threaded hole in the sides of my double wall top both in front and behind the side windows. I don't know what those are for, but they look placed correctly for shoulder belts. Nit sure that the fiberglass top would make it a good idea though.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #19
SeventyOne

I've been thinking about this a lot for my 5 year old. My K5 isnt ready to drive yet but I have a 64 F100 that I want to take her around in.

I bought this kit http://ewss.org/product/43-yc-univer...tch-strap.html

All i need to do is affix the "LATCH" clip to the floor by drilling 1 hole. The the shoulder straps drape over the bench seat and the stock lap belt feeds through the shoulder strap loops and the crotch strap loop to complete the harness.

For my Ford I dont care about drilling the hole. In my K5 that's a complete restoration I might do some welding fab on the rear seat frame to get the LATCH clip part installed there w/o drilling the hole. I'm waffling on it. It's just 1 hole in the floor of the K5. So when time comes i might just do that.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #20
mister.freeze

might the LATCH clip be able to use one of the original clip bolts that hold the seat in? I'm not using them but I see that they're in about the right place.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:07 PM   #21
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

We now have a Britax ClickTight - still using rear faced but I think it would work forward facing with use of just a lap belt. Here's a photo with our since replaced car seat.
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:51 PM   #22
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister.freeze View Post
might the LATCH clip be able to use one of the original clip bolts that hold the seat in? I'm not using them but I see that they're in about the right place.
Possibly. The latch belt that goes over the top of the seat is allowed some degree of angle. might be 15*....would have to read the instructions again.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #23
Tuff Gong

Probably not totally responsible but I just strap them in tight with the factory belts and call it good. Pretty sure that’s what everyone did back in 1971.
Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #24
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Atkinson View Post
Probably not totally responsible but I just strap them in tight with the factory belts and call it good. Pretty sure that’s what everyone did back in 1971.
I had put the carseat on the bench seat but the way the lap belts held the carseat in it meant my daughter had to have the buckle behind her back and it was not comfortable for her. IF you look at the last pic below you can see the buckle placement when i crank it down. Just wasn't going to work with a conventional car seat.

Anyways - I got the harness set up in the F100 yesterday and I have to say i love it! Will definitely get one for the K5 as well.

Here's some pics:
Name:  IMG_1371.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1372.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1375.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1378.jpg
Views: 1266