The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #26
Resto-Rand

Re: Buying a old car/truck

Wasn't annoyed. He was talking about doing things I wouldn't to one of these trucks. So I decided pretty quick I wasn't doing a deal.

I'm not saying he couldn't do what he wanted to his or that his 'style' sucks, just that it's not gonna happen to this truck.

I love talking to people, too. But I sold my super original First Series 55 to a guy that turned out to be a 'butcher'. Not going to happen again.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #27
panhead59

Great subject matter for a physcology student ! I'd bet the guys that actually DO THE WORK have much stronger feelings than the common joe blow with money. Its a different level of ownership when you make it YOURS. If you don't KNOW that already, then chances are you wouldn't understand.

1959 H-D Panhead. Owned since 1978. Currently with son in Lawton, OK.
1968 Chevy Custom SWB pick up. Fleetside. Lowered 4/6. Totally refurbished. 1966 Pontiac GTO. 4 speed. Saved original 389. Now has slightly built 455 engine. 355 rear gears. Very fun to drive !
Old 10-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #28
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrriiaann1973 View Post
Conversation, that's the one thing I dont want when I am combing over a car or truck. I know the game, distract them so they might miss that one thing they are trying to hide.

I am very focused when I go look at vehicles and I am not there to make friends. I am there to go home with metal or to see if the vehicle is worth it!

I dont want to know the history of the vehicle, who had it, what it had originally, I want to see what it has now and what is the condition of it now!
Things are different when you have a passion for old vehicles. Your attitude seems to be whatever you can make a buck on.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
Old 10-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #29
bbrriiaann1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
Things are different when you have a passion for old vehicles. Your attitude seems to be whatever you can make a buck on.
That's not my attitude at all, I just dont give a dam what other people do with their trucks! And I am not going to be the truck Nazi that makes sure people keep the truck I currently own looking similar to the way it looks now!

And just for your information I have performed 95% of all the up grades and repairs to the truck over the last 45 years. Nobody love old chevy trucks more than me, but if I were to sale my truck and they turned it into a low rider or a pro stock I wouldn't care because

(hint hint) IT DOESN'T BELONG TO ME ANYMORE!

How can you force your beliefs on someone else? A person can only buy something from you if they have the same thoughts and vision you do. That is completely unrealistic and close minded! I dont have those type of control issues over other people.

I won't even take the time to keep in touch with the person who purchased it once it's gone I move on. (Truck, car, boat, house, tools, furniture you name it)

So when I purchase something I should be able to do so without worrying if this guy is going to approve of my plans.

If I purchased a truck from you and I did something to it that you didn't like. Would you confront me about it if you saw it at a car show? If so then why?
Old 10-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #30
bbrriiaann1973

Wink Re: Buying a old car/truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead59 View Post
Great subject matter for a physcology student ! I'd bet the guys that actually DO THE WORK have much stronger feelings than the common joe blow with money. Its a different level of ownership when you make it YOURS. If you don't KNOW that already, then chances are you wouldn't understand.
I am proof that this idea doesn't hold water! I am one of those guys who has done THE WORK! My finger prints are all over my truck since the day I was old enough to work on it. First of all the truck is not going anywhere but if I had to sale it for what ever reason. What the person did with it or what his plans for it wouldn't matter at all. First of I wouldn't ask because i dont care, and second i dont have those type of control issues.

What is your opinion?
Old 10-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #31
Coley

Smile Re: Buying a old car/truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrriiaann1973 View Post
That's not my attitude at all, I just dont give a dam what other people do with their trucks!
Well, this is increasingly evident.

Which begs the question, why join and participate in a classic truck forum website knowing this?
...just asking.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 10-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #32
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

I am just saying you seem to have no passion. If you buy a vehicle from me it is yours to do what you want with it. Why would you not want to talk to someone that knows the history or maybe make a new friend or connection? Do you also haggle on the price and pick them apart?
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
Old 10-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #33
67swb72klb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
I really like these kinds of threads
You
Get to learn a lot about other members
Personalities

Yep! Love the dancing guy too...
Old 10-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #34
flashed

I love the Thrill of the hunt for theses old trucks ,love the history of each one I find ,and enjoy talking with the buyers and sellers . I just love everything about these old trucks . I like hearing what the new owner has planned for his new ride even if its not my thing , I just might learn something from him or her . I also love the friendships I gain from the buyers and sellers alike , sometimes I have repeat customers especially for parts Im needing or selling . Every transaction is like adding more contacts to my network of folks that play with these trucks and they are many .I have made lifelong friends playing with these old hunks of steel and I would not trade that for anything .
Old 10-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #35
bbrriiaann1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Well, this is increasingly evident.

Which begs the question, why join and participate in a classic truck forum website knowing this?
...just asking.

All good
Coley

Sorry I should of said to my truck once its sold.

I live talking to people about their trucks at a car show or on a forum like this. But i would never prevent someone from changing their truck or doing something I wouldn't do.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #36
dmjlambert

The passion includes an appreciation for the raw materials you are working with (or that you are selling) and the camaraderie of like-minded people. It's both. That is my perception of what this forum is here for. I feel bad for anybody who is missing half of that, they are missing out on a lot. I love knowing the past history of my truck, and knowing the previous owner. I look forward to knowing the next owner and sharing stories. The truck is just a truck, but it's also a tool used to pass the passion on. I don't think I would cancel selling the truck to somebody who was going to do something interesting with it even if it was something I wouldn't do, but I would probably cancel if discussion of the truck and trucks in general and some friendly words were not part of the deal.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 10-21-2018 at 11:52 AM. Reason: clarity (I hope)
Old 10-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #37
bbrriiaann1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
I am just saying you seem to have no passion. If you buy a vehicle from me it is yours to do what you want with it. Why would you not want to talk to someone that knows the history or maybe make a new friend or connection? Do you also haggle on the price and pick them apart?
I have plenty of passion for these trucks, what you are mixing is the difference between sitting around chatting about your truck my truck and me going out looking for a truck to buy. Once dollars and cents comes into the mix I am not there to make friends. I am there to find a deal.

So talking to the guy about when he first purchased it 30 years ago or the timing chain that broke in the 80's means zero to me now. I want to know the current condition now, current content now, and I dont want to be distracted by mindless chatter about what I am going to do with it!

I normally don't haggle or talk a guy down, I try to determine if the truck is worth what the asking price is.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #38
el_fantasma

On the flip side, what do you say if you’re the seller and someone asks why you’re selling. Do you tell the buyer what he wants to hear?
Old 10-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #39
bbrriiaann1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_fantasma View Post
On the flip side, what do you say if you’re the seller and someone asks why you’re selling. Do you tell the buyer what he wants to hear?
No! It's none of his business! Why I decided to put my truck up for sale after having it for 45 years is no one's business. Look at the truck and determine if you think it's worth what I am asking for it and if not then make a offer.

The reason for the sale should have zero to do with it. If they broke something in the motor that will show when its driven, or a accident it will show in the repair when I look at it.

So this back N forth exchange of info is not necessary
Old 10-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #40
evoLnivleK

Just bought my first C10 a few weeks ago. It popped up in my home town. Got to the guy's house, it was on my bus route from grade school. The old guy and I had a great conversation. I was honest with my intentions that it would be untouched patina wise, but it would certainly lay frame on bags. He wasnt 100% onboard with my plan, but understood "that's what the guys do with them these days". A few days later he calls me and says he wants to come to my shop and help/watch the airbagging process. I, of course, said sure!

As a bonafide car guy, the backstory is just as important as the vehicle to me. Almost all my cars and bikes have one.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #41
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoLnivleK View Post
Just bought my first C10 a few weeks ago. It popped up in my home town. Got to the guy's house, it was on my bus route from grade school. The old guy and I had a great conversation. I was honest with my intentions that it would be untouched patina wise, but it would certainly lay frame on bags. He wasnt 100% onboard with my plan, but understood "that's what the guys do with them these days". A few days later he calls me and says he wants to come to my shop and help/watch the airbagging process. I, of course, said sure!

As a bonafide car guy, the backstory is just as important as the vehicle to me. Almost all my cars and bikes have one.
Hi, Welcome to the forum! We want to follow along too. I encourage you to start a thread to tell us you're here, and post some pictures! Perhaps you can post a picture of you and the previous owner and the truck in your shop.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #42
Shinysideup

What you are failing to realize Brian is that these are cherished items not tractors.

A tractor is 100% function. A classic vehicle is purely passion. Why else would folks go to such ridiculous lengths to restore.

Your attitude is spot-on for buying tractors and washing machines but take a step back and contemplate WHY nobody hounds you constantly to talk to you about your late-model vs the classic.
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #43
CG
BlahBlahBlah

When selling I don't care anymore what the buyers plans are. When I have the cash I want and he or she goes off into the sunset with their purchase I've washed my hands of it.

I don't care about back stories anymore either unless it has to do with the mechanics of the vehicle. I'm not there to make a new friend, I have plenty of my internet buddies right here =)
Old 10-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #44
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I love the Thrill of the hunt for theses old trucks ,love the history of each one I find ,and enjoy talking with the buyers and sellers . I just love everything about these old trucks . I like hearing what the new owner has planned for his new ride even if its not my thing , I just might learn something from him or her . I also love the friendships I gain from the buyers and sellers alike , sometimes I have repeat customers especially for parts Im needing or selling . Every transaction is like adding more contacts to my network of folks that play with these trucks and they are many .I have made lifelong friends playing with these old hunks of steel and I would not trade that for anything .
/\/\/\/\/\/\

I would give one of my original Cheyenne Supers (for free)
To this guy
Before I would sell it to You, (for 20k) if I thought you were going to cut it
Old 10-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #45
flashed

Let me tell you guys about an interesting Facebook conversation I had this week with someone I did not know . I have my 72 1 ton truck for sale on a Facebook page with the seat I took out of my 72 shortbed frame off restored truck .I put BuddyBuckets in my restored truck and kept the other seat that I put in the 1 ton . A guy contacts me on Facebook and says ,hey ,that was my seat out of a truck I had in high school and college . I said ,well it could be , I bought the truck in North Carolina through a friend of mine . He then told me his Dads name and sure enough it was his truck . His Dad would not sell the truck to any locals as he did not want to see it around because he loved that truck and it hurt him to have to sell it . He almost did not sell it to me until I promised him I would keep him in the loop during the rebuild and that I would make him proud of thet old truck again. It took 5 long years in bodyshop jail but as soon as it was done I drove it up there and he was glad I bought it . Once the LS Swap is done I will take it back again and the son will get to drive it again . What are the odds of a previous owner finding his first truck by seeing a picture of a seat in another truck ? And I made a new soon to be friend .
Old 10-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #46
leddzepp

Where are you finding these trucks that have been owned by one guy long enough to know whether or not the truck has ever even had a brake job. Them stories may have happened a long time ago, but in the past few YEARS I’ve never run across a seller that owned the truck more than a few days, and is just looking to make a buck, passion or no passion for the hobby A lot of times the truck is still pictured on the rented uhaul trailer. I’ve even run across multiple ads for the same truck because the previous flipper hadn’t even removed his ad yet

If I ever ran across a cat selling one of these trucks that had honestly owned and driven it for many years, I would give his words a lot of merit and actually listen to what he had to say. Otherwise, I’m with the OP...shut up and let the truck do the talkin’ and I’ll decide whether or not it’s worth it to me to make a purchase.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 10-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #47
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysideup View Post
What you are failing to realize Brian is that these are cherished items not tractors.
OUCH! Some of us cherish our tractors too...
(just kidding, no offense taken, ha)

This thread is kinda crackin me up...
Brian, you seem to be going back and forth between two concepts:

1) should a buyer ask what your plans are
and
2) that by asking, he's somehow limiting your ability to do what you want with it.

Bottom line, it's still the seller's truck before he has the money in his hands - and if he DOES care about what happens to it, (which, while annoying to a hot rodder, there are indeed many people that care about their vehicles in this way - but just because the seller has a different way of looking at it than you doesn't make it wrong, and I still don't understand why it strikes such a nerve for you), he has every right to not sell it to you. That's just the facts of life, whether we frequent buyers like it or not. But I'm quite certain that any seller fully understands that a buyer can and will do whatever he wants with a truck after money has changed hands. I'm just not trackin why this is such a big annoyance - asking the buyer's intentions does not mean the seller is limiting what you end up doing to the truck once money has changed hands.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #48
72 tigger

This is entertaining. I like tractors also- bought this one this year. The old guy (my dad) wanted to know what my plans were, l said “put a loader on it”. Thankfully he was okay with that 😆
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #49
extd56

I have bought and sold a lot of old trucks and cars and can tell you that if attitude has a lot to do with both buying and selling an old car unless you are a dealer. I have bought cars from owners that wanted nothing else than to find a good home for their car and would not of sold them to me if I was going to just flip them or part them out.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #50
Shinysideup

Nice tractors fellas! I love them too as I have a couple. They ain't pretty, just workhorses(Deere w/loader and a wheel horse). I attend the Flywheelers yearly so I know some guys have some nice tractor collections. Just an example, hope nobody has a restored washing machine here too
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Closed Thread