The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Looking through the parts board today ...

OMG! $$$$$$$

Glad I don't need those, or that, or that either
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: Looking through the parts board today ...

Well thanks a lot! Now I have to go look to see what you saw!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Well Mark, if you do need 'em, the price won't seem so bad. Because you just can't find 'em anywhere else!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Most anything good that is listed at a reasonable price gets snatched right up by one of a few parts flippers rather than to someone who is going to use it. I'd say it has all but lost it's "sense of community, help a brother out" vibe it once had. It's get all you can everywhere you go.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 07-15-2018 at 09:31 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #5
atog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Well Mark, if you do need 'em, the price won't seem so bad. Because you just can't find 'em anywhere else!
I agree with you 100% I have searched high and low looking for certain parts throughout the state without any luck several times. Then jump on the Forumn and there it is at a reasonable price, without any drive time or countless hours of searching. I have on several occasions bought whole trucks just to get the gems I’m looking for ( steering wheels, buddy bucketss, tilt columns, tachs, am/fm radios, spicer hub, oh oh and tow hooks ) All of these parts I have put back in secret hidden places ( sometimes from myself) for future projects. The problem with that is now you need to get rid of the rest of the parts. What I have found though is if priced fairly they will move quickly. I personally feel this helps out fellow c10 enthusiasts within the Forumn. Unfortunately due to my work schedule I can’t take as much time off I would like to. If I could I would like to set up at local swap meets to flip these unneeded treasures. I think it would also give me the opportunity to meet some really cool individuals that are as passionate these trucks as I am. I can honestly say I do not remember ever selling a part I purchased off the board. I’m a hoarder and hate to get rid of my newly found gems. If using the set off tow hooks under the front seat or the tach cluster on the rear seat of the truck as a way in to purchase parts from that collector that will not sell, that I will do. So guilty as charged on that case. It seems like most people today don’t want the hassle of selling at swap meets or Craigslist or dealing with countless people. I have bought truckloads of parts from people like this on several occasions, some even High Octane members. I feel I get a better deal buying in bulk. Sometimes yes sometimes no. Then I’m back to the old deal of flipping the parts I will not be using. All in all it’s a great hobby or pastime which I am fortunate to be able to do. We all have childish things we collect that bring found memories of days past, which at times we spend more than it’s worth to have. My collection is parts. All which I have acquired through countless hours of sometimes hard work, but extremely proud of. I try to help others when I can, and enjoy doing so. I hope wearing the red hat does not change that for me ever.
atog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:32 AM   #6
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Most anything good that is listed at a reasonable price gets snatched right up by one of a few High Octane parts flippers rather than to someone who is going to use it. I'd say it has all but lost it's "sense of community, help a brother out" vibe it once had. It's get all you can everywhere you go.
Yeah I kinda talked about that in the Craigslist post. Even at flea markets, other vendors go around before everyone else and buy up anything they can resale, I sold at a flea market about 10 years ago and we were swarmed unloading the trailer by vendors and sold half our stuff before the place even opened. I sold stuff just to get rid of it not to make a living off of it

Seeing how much all this stuff is worth now I hate to think of all the stuff I thrown away over the years. 15-20 years ago 80s trucks were pretty much free. Body's were usually garbage so I usually just gutted them and threw out the rest. Could only store so much but I do have ton of parts still laying around that come in handy during my last build and current build
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #7
tristan

I bought a lot off the WTS Board for my Jimmy and C-10 makeovers over the past several years but nothing lately. I'm not sure if it is because I already have what I need/want or due to another factor, the members who buy everything interesting that comes up nearly instantaneously. I have to admit to checking the Board multiple times per day but there appear to be members who are like bond traders and monitor it continuously. However, as the great philosopher Don Vito Corleone said, "What a man does is his own business."
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
However, as the great philosopher Don Vito Corleone said, "What a man does is his own business."
And a deeper thinking philosopher would add, "... until he starts stepping on another man's toes". That's why man has to live with laws and regulations, because there are those who only consider themselves in this community of man we all live in. My dad, who was a wise deeper thinking man as well as WWII Army Ranger vet, would say, "I wouldn't want to be in a bomb shelter with that SOB". There are those who save their rations and those who gobble theirs down, then want you to share yours. Total freedom is a wonderful concept but is not obtainable, unless you live alone on an island. You go around doing whatever you want when you want and at some point that will interfere with the freedom of others. We do not stand alone in this world. We have to consider the rest of us*.

*Us, an all inclusive word.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
jeepbut

"Sense of community, help a brother out!" seems to be long gone in the car hobby.I have given away a lot more parts than I have ever sold. I am more careful now days. A guy posted "Need part desperately to complete project!" I had one, sent it to him, even paid the shipping only to see it on E-Bay a few days later. Kind of sad really.
jeepbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
raggedjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by atog View Post
I agree with you 100% I have searched high and low looking for certain parts throughout the state without any luck several times. Then jump on the Forumn and there it is at a reasonable price, without any drive time or countless hours of searching. I have on several occasions bought whole trucks just to get the gems I’m looking for ( steering wheels, buddy bucketss, tilt columns, tachs, am/fm radios, spicer hub, oh oh and tow hooks ) All of these parts I have put back in secret hidden places ( sometimes from myself) for future projects. The problem with that is now you need to get rid of the rest of the parts. What I have found though is if priced fairly they will move quickly. I personally feel this helps out fellow c10 enthusiasts within the Forumn. Unfortunately due to my work schedule I can’t take as much time off I would like to. If I could I would like to set up at local swap meets to flip these unneeded treasures. I think it would also give me the opportunity to meet some really cool individuals that are as passionate these trucks as I am. I can honestly say I do not remember ever selling a part I purchased off the board. I’m a hoarder and hate to get rid of my newly found gems. If using the set off tow hooks under the front seat or the tach cluster on the rear seat of the truck as a way in to purchase parts from that collector that will not sell, that I will do. So guilty as charged on that case. It seems like most people today don’t want the hassle of selling at swap meets or Craigslist or dealing with countless people. I have bought truckloads of parts from people like this on several occasions, some even High Octane members. I feel I get a better deal buying in bulk. Sometimes yes sometimes no. Then I’m back to the old deal of flipping the parts I will not be using. All in all it’s a great hobby or pastime which I am fortunate to be able to do. We all have childish things we collect that bring found memories of days past, which at times we spend more than it’s worth to have. My collection is parts. All which I have acquired through countless hours of sometimes hard work, but extremely proud of. I try to help others when I can, and enjoy doing so. I hope wearing the red hat does not change that for me ever.
Atog, I have bought from you in the past and felt I got what I needed at a good price.

I went through the swap meet at the Southeastern Nationals yesterday, pricing is going up, not as much negotiating room as there used to be. I think it may be because there is so much money being sunk into these trucks now. I'm just a poor boy, if I can't grease it, paint it, or bondo it then it ain't getting done!

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

It's gettin' gone alright, in most things these days. We are degenerating in that respect. I like to think I'm a buck stops here kind of guy and still try to be fair, but not fool enough to sell so cheap to lure flippers, unless I'm handing the part to someone I know will be using it. I don't care if someone wants to buy a part from me to make money as long as they pay my price.

Tim

Old 07-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #12
flashed

I have a set of pretty nice BuddyBuckets I had posted on FaceBook at a fairly high price only because I need to buy LS Swap parts .I had many offers of half my price or less and I just told the guys nicely I was not interested .Got some pretty nasty comments too . If they dont sell for close to my price I will build a truck around them as they are getting hard to come by . I told them they could always buy new ones for a little more . I try to help guys that are building trucks but dont want to be scammed by flippers .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #13
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It's gettin' gone alright, in most things these days. We are degenerating in that respect. I like to think I'm a buck stops here kind of guy and still try to be fair, but not fool enough to sell so cheap to lure flippers, unless I'm handing the part to someone I know will be using it. I don't care if someone wants to buy a part from me to make money as long as they pay my price.
That sums it up pretty well...
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
Grumpy old man

You know I've read so many times go ahead and chop that top / cut that frame /go one piece side windows ,Heck they made "millions " of these trucks ... Well not really , Just how many have been wrecked .flooded/ crushed/ stripped over the last 50 YEARS ? How many are being drug out of the weeds today to be restored in some fashion and the parts market is HOT right now ,I tend to only chase what I need or can adapt to my own stuff . I have a ton of 67 parts and I let them go when I decide I don't need them anymore , once I decide to part with it I really don't care what the next owner does with it as long as I get my price I'm happy ... I've gotten some great deals in here (Thanks) I've also over paid for things I wanted ,So be it as long as I really needed it, all good ! I spent this morning looking at a 67 cab that I've been saving and I decided to cut it up for the parts I need on 5 other trucks , I'll tell you it was a hard decision to make but it's sitting here and I need the sheet metal
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #15
flashed

I had a really rusty cab that was worth nothing to me and a guy called me wanting a patch off of it . He wanted to come get it and take it to his shop to cut it out properly so I said come get it . He did and brought it back and put it where it was before . A few days later he asked if he could come get it again as he found more rust in his . He works nights , I work days , so I left the gate unlocked and had him come get it . He called and was going to load it up and bring it back and I told him to keep it in case he found more rust and to scrap it when he was finished .Im glad to see my junk helping save another truck .
Old 07-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
That sums it up pretty well...
You treated me right on a N.O.S. '69 GMC 1/2t hubcap because you knew it was for my collection. The only problem is, it was too nice to hang outside. So it caused me to start an inside collection, too. Thanks a lot!

I have given parts to people because that truck deserved that part. I'm not saying I haven't done well on a part or two. But that was due to buying for a crazy cheap asking price.

I was at an antique truck show that has a small swap meet. There is a couple that sells old truck pictures from magazines framed, but I saw a shiny nice black 69-72 steering wheel. "How much for that wheel?", they told me $35. You better believe I bought it. I didn't need it but that was crazy cheap and it may have been N.O.S. I made good money on that selling to a friend for a fair price (and the offer wasn't $50).

I also needed heads a couple years ago and found a set there complete. They were all done with new springs, 1.94s, 64cc, and all. They were off the guy's show Vega he swapped aluminum heads on to. I couldn't jerk the money out of my pocket fast enough when he said $50! No, I didn't flip them. They were exactly what I needed and went straight onto the truck when I got home. You give me a fair price and I'll pay it, no dickering required.

I hate people trying to beat me up so they can make that money. Often on an item I have held onto for decades and they just run home to list on Ebay. I've had people tell me my price is too high because they can't make anything off that. Hello? I'm the seller and you're the buyer here. Do you want to buy it or not?

Tim

Old 07-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #17
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I'm really out on the fringes of buying & selling. Over the years I think I've bought maybe 2-3 small items and sold or given away 2-3 things. Mainly I just look at the f/s posts and hang onto my few excess parts.

So this has been an interesting thread for me. I will say I am stunned by the value of tow hooks. My '72 gets along just fine with cheap aftermarket hooks though!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-15-2018, 09:53 PM   #18
flashed

I looked at and held a set of Extreme bend hooks yesterday at a swap meet for $1200 . I just wanted to hold them once .
Old 07-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

I'm sure glad I think the other kind are better and people are stupid over those extreme bend. I see them as an F-up with both going the same way. That means one is wrong!
People can pay extra for that, but I'll take hooks that do the deed in the best way while looking the best, being balanced... You know, normal

Tim

Old 07-16-2018, 05:52 AM   #20
tristan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbut View Post
A guy posted "Need part desperately to complete project!" I had one, sent it to him, even paid the shipping only to see it on E-Bay a few days later. Kind of sad really.
Ouch, what a betrayal.
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #21
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
Ouch, what a betrayal.
I've had that happen to me also, I called the guy up and called him a steaming pile of ...... This was after he haggled me down on price for 20 min. C'mon man help a brother out, I really need this. I still do craigslist, but it is full of scammers and flippers. We meet personally and the buyer brings cash, no trades. I even take a money pen with me to check the bills.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #22
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

It's nothing new. Back around 1970 or so, my Grandad stopped driving and a neighbor expressed interest in buying his '64 Pontiac Bonneville. He was a car dealer but said he loved Grandad's car and would keep it for himself. Grandad finally caved and reluctantly sold him the car. Wasn't long before there was a For Sale in the window. Grandad was not a happy camper.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

It's been going on forever. My dad used to upholster pre-war cars, almost exclusively. He'd do the newer stuff for family, of course. One guy he knew wanted his Model A upholstered. He asked what my dad wanted, got a price, and then said, "I can mark it up $100, easy, for anyone else who wants it done!". Cheeky bugger, that's for sure! My dad said he'd only deal directly with the owner of the vehicle. Same guy drove up unannounced and parked on the lawn instead of the driveway and expected to leave it right then for the job. My dad was more than a little annoyed, and told him to pack it off. He never did get my dad to do his car's upholstery.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:36 AM   #24
el_fantasma

I have sold three items on the parts board; a speaker, a gas cap and seat belts. Strangely the seat belts were the most popular. I hate to throw stuff away without at least seeing if someone wants it. No issues, everyone was cool.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #25
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I wasn't calling anyone in particular out when I started this post, it was just an overall observation on where the parts prices are going.

I see the Barett Jackson effect happening. Someone shoots for the moon pricing their part, someone really needs that part and jumps on it at the moon launch price afraid to lose it.

Now everyone feels their stuff is worth more because someone that is probably in a better financial place in their life than the average Joe has established a new price point for the 1967 Chevy Truck gotta have widget.

For some reason though when I go to sell the same widget the market for them has gone dry lol
CG is offline   Reply With Quote