The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2016, 10:37 PM   #1
GEF56

Angry GM Turbo 350 Fluid leaks

Im putting a chevy 383 stoker in my 56 truck with a GM turbo 350 and have been filling it with Automatic Transmission Fluid for the first time. I followed a number of posts which recommended that I First put in 4 quarts and start the engine in park and let the fluid circulate for a few minutes. This was fine. Then the posts suggested adding another 3 quarts start the engine and start checking the fluid levels while running . Still went well. Then it suggested you put it in reverse briefly and then through the other gear settings...at this point fluid began to run out from the torque converter cover. Help and ideas or suggestions this is my first automatic transmission.
GEF56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #2
Henry50

Re: GM Turbo 350 Fluid leaks

New trans and new converter?
Henry50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:20 PM   #3
dsraven

there really is nothing in the torque converter area except the converter. if that is really where it is coming from, not ending up, then probably a pump housing to trans housing seal or torque converter to pump housing seal is leaking or the torque converter has a crack or hole. look for a hole on the perimeter of the torque converter where a drain plug may have been. I have seen some rebuilder torques with a plug. dunno why except for some guys that drill a hole to drain an old torque before sending it for rebuild. worth a try though. that would make a huge mess in short order.
when the flywheel to torque converter bolts went in, did they get tight before bottoming out? maybe a bolt is too long and bumped a hole in the torque housing or tore a welded tab off a bit? did you hear a faint (or pronounced) knock that may indicate a torque to flywheel bolt that isn't tight?
I have seen a pinhole in a cooler line spray a tiny stream of fluid that makes it look like the leak is somewhere else. use cardboard, not your hand, to check for that one. it shows up well on cardboard, your hand just gets dirty.besides, it's never a good idea to stick your hand in front of a hydraulic leak. this one is low pressure though i guess.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:24 PM   #4
dsraven

since the turbo 350 is fairly open underneath (I assume) then maybe grab a can of brake cleaner and spray the area clean as good as you can and as far up around the torque converter as possible. when it is dry have a buddy start it up while you look under there for a leak. wear safety glasses or goggles and use jack stands or a lift, don't trust a cinder block when you are under a vehicle.
can you post up a pic or 2?
Old 12-21-2016, 11:31 PM   #5
dsraven

I think the trans only pumps fluid through the cooler lines when it is in gear. with that thought in mind, does it leak ONLY when in gear? possible cooler line issue? remove the cover and have a look see, after cleaning.
an old garden sprayer works pretty good as well, if you don't have any brake cleaner. I use one for flushing diff axle tubes. varsol or paint thinner for solvent. I drilled a hole in the body of the sprayer near the top and installed a tire valve stem from a truck, the kind with a threaded brass stem. then use the air compressor to pressurize the sprayer tank. less hand pumping. be careful not to overpressure though. the sprayer may need to be chucked out after unless it has viton seals. the solvent tends to swell the rubber parts. also may not wanna use it in the garden anymore, haha.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #6
Russell Ashley

Sounds like it could be the front seal. I would remove the TC cover and try to identify exactly where the leak is coming from.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #7
GEF56

The Transmission is a rebuilt tranny, the TC is new.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
GEF56

Pulled the transmission cover, cleaned it up and restarted. Fluid coming out between TC and transmission
Old 12-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #9
ndeep

you may have damaged front seal when converter was installed, either was sounds like it is coming out. sorry
ndeep is offline   Reply With Quote