The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
68bowtie

1986 silverado a/c question

so i have an 86 silverado c30. a/c no worky. called three shops in town (turlock), all say they don't do R12. i don't know much about a/c systems. i don't know what the problem is with my truck, other than it blows hot air. do you think i should:

a) keep calling shops until someone says yes
b) call them back and ask if shops will convert it to r134a
c) try and self-diagnose and repair the problem (maybe it's easy?)
d) other

i am hoping it just needed a recharge, the truck is in great condition and all parts seem to be intact. i am selling the truck so I'm trying to limit the expenses. if it's gonna be too much headache or cost i may just leave it as-is.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
abig84

Re: 1986 silverado a/c question

i always see cans of r12 at the flear markets and swap meets all the time.

when i bought my 1990 it was r12 but empty, just threw the fittings on for 134 and charged it up and its worked ever since. its probably no one has gauges or a machine for r12 anymore
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #3
ninety6

I'm not an A/C guy -- so i may be swiftly corrected.

if you want to do it quick and easy -- like mentioned above, you can get a "conversion kit" that is simply screw-on terminals that go on low side and high side ports, evacuate, and refill with 134a. add dye, or oil with dye, then look for the leak.

Thats what i did. (though mine was empty, so no evacuation necssary) It blew nice cold air, but only for a couple weeks -- now it short cycles. just need to find the leak -- and replace my compressor (crazy loud).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thats the adapter kit i bought (86 C10 Silverado 305 with the R4 compressor). simply screws on to your service ports, then you can use r134a manifold gauges and quick-connects to charge with r134a.

I would definitely not mix r134a and r12, and you'll want to use compatible oil. It's possible the existing o-rings are technically incompatible. And of course it's good practice to replace some other parts... but if you just want to get it running to see if it even works, this is a quick and easy way to get it done. My goal was to blow cold air and see if i have leaks. I accomplished both by doing this. Now i need to find my leak(s), and replace the proper parts and refill again.

I had previously talked to a local mechanic about this -- and i asked what to do for conversion -- he said -- get adaptors and fill it with r134a.

it's cheaper to just get all the stuff you need and do it all yourself than one trip to the mechanic.

I bought a cheap/ebay vacuum pump and manifold gauge set (around $200 for both)-- had to get an adaptor and can tap for a few more dollars, and i was all set. tractor supply has 12oz cans of 134a for $3.50 (bought several this year). I've used it about 4-5 times now, no problems. Watch a couple youtube videos on how easy this stuff is, get your tools, take your time, and double check all your knobs and valves to make sure they are opened and closed when they are supposed to be!

Last edited by ninety6; 07-11-2017 at 10:27 PM.
ninety6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 AM   #4
D13

Cheap fix, not unless you happen to find someone with R12 equipment and R12 on hand, which is not likely. If you are going to sell it then you will have to spring for the flush and convert, or sell it as is.
Mine was converted to 134A many years ago, new rings hoses etc and cools great.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by d13 View Post
cheap fix, not unless you happen to find someone with r12 equipment and r12 on hand, which is not likely. If you are going to sell it then you will have to spring for the flush and convert, or sell it as is.
Mine was converted to 134a many years ago, new rings hoses etc and cools great.
^^^^^^This^^^^^^