The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #101
1970SWB

Re: Refining "Sierra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblTrbl View Post
You're so close to just pulling the engine...all of the complicated stuff is already off. It almost seems like leaving it in will result in the inefficiency of having to work around it, you might as well pull it so you have access to everything without a fight.
And that is exactly how "complete frame off" restorations get started. Been there-done that several times. It's always just "I'll pull this one more part"..................lol
'70 Chevy SWB pick up
'77 Chevy SWB 4X4 PU
2 '70 Buick GS Stage-1 4-spds
1970SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #102
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970SWB View Post
And that is exactly how "complete frame off" restorations get started. Been there-done that several times. It's always just "I'll pull this one more part"..................lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
Ohhhh...that's how I got to where I am. I looked up one night and there was a bare frame in front of me.
Exactly right my friends. I was so close to pulling the front clip, since its only 8 more bolts. Then why not just pull the motor and transmission too. While the motors out, may as well strip the firewall too.

Its killing me to not go deeper, but I have a commitment to have this truck at Lonestar Throwdown. Trust me when I say it will be nice with out all that. It will be a much greater effort on my part, but it will be nice.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:48 PM   #103
mcbassin
Still Learning

Another excellent square body build thread. Looking forward to following along. I completely understand the OCD thing btw. Subscribed.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #104
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

Nice work so far! I like that your just cleaing/refurbishing/updating some things and making a really nice driver. They're much more enjoyable that way!
JNJchev77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #105
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Another excellent square body build thread. Looking forward to following along. I completely understand the OCD thing btw. Subscribed.
Yeah after a while you learn to accept it, and wear it with pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
I got my vent windows "properly installed" last night. Anyone else...
No sir, not me. Mine are still in transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJchev77 View Post
Nice work so far! I like that your just cleaning/refurbishing/updating some things and making a really nice driver. They're much more enjoyable that way!
Thats my objective. I love highly detailed builds, but this one will be comfortable showing, cruising, or making road trips.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #106
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I finally got some quality time in my shop. Last night was spent doing the tedious of masking behind the brake booster and below the pinch weld. Previously I had blended the pinch weld sealer with spray under coat. I got it painted last weekend. Now it was time to touch up and reapply the undercoat from the pinch weld down.

I also stripped the housing for the evaporate core. I reapplied the undercoating surrounding it, and got a fresh coat of satin black on it. Nothing to really show for that effort until I unmask it all.

After everything cured over night, Chris and I began stripping the lower half of the block. Once it was accessible and all the grunge was properly cleaned off, I was able to lay down several coats of brushed stainless. The bottom of the block is now completely painted. All that's left to paint is the back of the block behind the distributor.

Now that the motor is done is time to work on the frame. We will get the inside of the frame rails painted before we start hanging parts. It should start going back together tomorrow. Someone said something about a football game going on, but I ain't got time for that.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-06-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:25 PM   #107
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Todays progress was slow but steady. While I chased supplies, Chris masked severalsections in preparation for paint and undercoating. In between rounds of painting and waiting I resealed the blower fan and installed it with stainlessbuttonheads.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #108
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

We got the crossbrace finished and detailed, as well as the back and bottom of the core support. We also cut in the undercoating in the inner fenders. Unfortunately I didn't get a before pic of inside the front fenders, but they had absolutely zero rust..They had a gazillion little rock chips, but no rust.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-07-2016, 10:44 PM   #109
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

We let everything dry and I started putting color on some pieces that Chris had previously bead blasted. I got one last round of paint laid on these small parts between prepping and coating a fender liner. Time to call it a day.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #110
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Nice Progress! I looked at a nice 2 owner '84 Chevrolet C10 Silverado that is nearly all factory with only just tick under 80k miles. I'm ok with the stuff that is not factory anymore, but concerned on the value of the truck and his asking price. I have known him for awhile and he just does not want to fix the little things anymore on it and wants it to go to someone who can take care of it. It was his Grandfather's truck that was not really ever abused, but just has the wear and tear of being 32 years old.

If I get it, it would be for a daily driver and I would do about what you are doing to this one.

Just 18 more days to LST...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #111
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Nice Progress! I looked at a nice 2 owner '84 Chevrolet C10 Silverado that is nearly all factory with only just tick under 80k miles. I'm ok with the stuff that is not factory anymore, but concerned on the value of the truck and his asking price. I have known him for awhile and he just does not want to fix the little things anymore on it and wants it to go to someone who can take care of it. It was his Grandfather's truck that was not really ever abused, but just has the wear and tear of being 32 years old.

If I get it, it would be for a daily driver and I would do about what you are doing to this one.

Just 18 more days to LST...
It sounds like a nice truck, especially if thats what your looking for. I'm not a purist, so I dont care about retaining everything original under the hood.

Yes, I know all to well the LST crunch is real.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #112
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Last night was one of those 2 steps forward and 3 steps back days that come with every build. I have to continue to remind myself that this build has a deadline. It kills me when I cant take details to a higher level, but time simply allows only so much.

I had some paint reaction on the fenderliners, so I wet sanded and top coated. Unfortunately my sanding cut through to a previous layer of paint and I had a major blow up. Atleast 30% of what I sprayed reacted and needs to be sanded again.
I picked up more undercoating to line the outside of the fenderliners. I found a sale on what appeared to be the same as what I had previously shot. It was not, and dryed chalky brown. Now I get to sand that and recoat it with the correct part #. Grrr!

Ok, at least I have a progress report on something. I sent the breather lid home with Johnny C to have him add some custom touches. We had planned to use his oval dies to punch some holes, but the wouldnt fit. Instead we went with round holes N2billet style. After some touch up Johnny C added a bit of color to the top. Simple, subtle, and exactly what I wanted.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #113
Greenlee

Wow. I like that air cleaner!

I still have a stock air cleaner. I need to make friends with Johnny C!
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #114
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Air cleaner looks good. I am living the 2 forward 3 back today. Hope your day goes better.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #115
Greenlee

Ha. I was making a joke, and then I realized I have met Johnny C. Sometimes on Saturday nights I go over to the informal car show at the Home Depot in Kemah. I was admiring his blue and white Chevy and he walked over and said hello and turned out we were both members of this forum.

N2trux, you should come down sometime. When the weather is nice there is usually a pretty good turn out. I live not far from there and try to plan my trips to Home Depot for Saturday evenings.

Last edited by Greenlee; 02-13-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #116
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
Wow. I like that air cleaner!
I still have a stock air cleaner. I need to make friends with Johnny C!
Johnny C is very talented. Not only an excellent automotive artist, but very good at metal art and fabrication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Air cleaner looks good. I am living the 2 forward 3 back today. Hope your day goes better.
The sad part is, it got worse before it got better. I spent an hour stripping off the undercoating that didnt cure over night.

Quote:
Ha. I was making a joke, and then I realized I have met Johnny C. Sometimes on Saturday nights I go over to the informal car show at the Home Depot in Kemah. I was admiring his blue and white Chevy and he walked over and said hello and turned out we were both members of this forum.

N2trux, you should come down sometime. When the weather is nice there is usually a pretty good turn out. I live not far from there and try to plan my trips to Home Depot for Saturday evenings.
Johnny and my buddy Stephen both tell me good things about the car cruise down there. I plan to make it happen this Summer.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #117
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Despite more setbacks, a big day of progress was had on Saturday. It started slow with me stripping undercoating off of the fenderliner that didnt cure over night. A solid hour with a wire brush and it was down to metal again.

We masked and painted the last sections of the frame and front suspension. I truly wish time had allowed me to take the front suspension apart, but it did not happen. I had to settle for a visual inspection and a thorough cleaning. .

It may look like total chaos, but this method of masking effectively allowed us to isolate each section to clean and paint with out complete disassembly. It's not pretty, but it does work.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-14-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #118
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Slow and careful removal of the masking I'd required, but I still had some lifting of paint on the firewall. That will be blended in as time allows. Now it's time to focus on detailing and reassembly.
I forgot to get a pic before I removed the stock valve covers. I wanted to keep them, but the wire brackets hade to go. I ordered a set of replacement covers from Speedway Motors. They are extremely well built including all the internal baffles. They come with a very nice powder coat finish too.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #119
Greenlee

Looks good. I'm going to steal the tin foil idea next time I need to paint.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #120
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Looks good. I'm going to steal the tin foil idea next time I need to paint.
I have used that method for years to cover things when washing motors. My buddy n2billet showed me how well it works for masking odd shaped parts.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-15-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #121
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

While the paint on the firewall is being repaired, Chris focused on the suspension. He used a wire brush and Scotch Brite to clean as much as possible since we didn't have time to completely dissemble. It cleaned up nicely, and a coat of high temp brake paint was applied. Big difference that can be seen through the wheels.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-15-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:06 PM   #122
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Nice progress.

I had the same paint issue happen this weekend on a go kart frame for my youngest son. He was mad that all his work sanding it to get it ready for color was wasted. Got is sanded out and shot some primer sealer over it, seams to be at bay now. More color tomorrow for him!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:32 PM   #123
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I spent several hours under the truck last night with not much to show for it. Cleaning wiring and detailing lines and small brackets is slow, but makes a big difference where it shows. I rerouted the positive cable to the starter and sanded, and painted the transmission cooler lines that run in that area.

I plan to add more line clamps later. I just realized my inventory was depleted. Its hard to show, so look close.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-15-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:39 PM   #124
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I'm still working on the rerouting of the fuel, tranny lines and power cable where it exit from the front of the block. Its slowly starting to show some results of my effort.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #125
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Post Re: Refining "Sierra"

After spending several hours in the engine compartment last night, I decided to do something different tonight. I wanted to take on a task that I could complete in the allotted time for this evenings session. I needed to pull the rear wheels to polish them, and allow access to the drums. I could see that the drums had been painted several times, so they made a trip to the blasting cabinet. Once I had several layers of old paint off, I hit them with Eastwood high temp caliper paint to match the front rotors.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-15-2016 at 10:54 PM.