The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2016, 04:58 AM   #1
Purple67C10

Drip rail seam sealer?

What are you guys using now-a-days to reseal the drip rails on our trucks? I've searched the Forum and keep coming up with answers from like 4 or more yrs ago and was wondering what the newest and best stuff to use is out there today.
Iv'e been working on my '67 SWB for 17 years ( I know, long time. Life kinda got in the way!) now and am at the point where I'm ready to Epoxy the roof and seal the drip rails. Looking for your opinions on whats the best out there to use now. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Purple67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
dfwright

Re: Drip rail seam sealer?

I did my drip rails about 3 or 4 years ago, so I don't really have any newest and best stuff to offer you, but I will say that the 3M self-levelling sealer was great stuff at the time. I used the 3M Automix Heavy-Bodied Seam Sealer - 08308. I had to buy a special gun to mix it, at the time, the gun, 3M Manual 200 mL Cartridge Applicator Gun - 08571, was only $37 from autobodytoolmart. I think it is much more expensive now

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
joesscamaro

I'm kind of curious myself. I just bought a 3M product called Fast'n Firm Seam Sealer...part #08505. I'm going to try this stuff soon. My local paint guy recommended this to me...I have no clue how it's going to work though.
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:41 AM   #4
Purple67C10

dfwright, How well has the 3M held up over the years? Any cracking? I've read alot of people weren't happy with it due to cracking issues. Also, how difficult was it to apply to the vertical section behind the doors?
Old 02-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
dfwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple67C10 View Post
dfwright, How well has the 3M held up over the years? Any cracking? I've read alot of people weren't happy with it due to cracking issues. Also, how difficult was it to apply to the vertical section behind the doors?
So I'm afraid that I don't have a real life indicator for you, as my cab is still in the barn, and my truck still in pieces, so the cab hasn't seen any outside time at all, but the seam sealer is in perfect condition right now. The only problem I did experience was in getting the epoxy primer to stick to it. I likely didn't scuff it well enough the first time.

I used brush on seam sealer up the back, vertical section, and created a "dam" at the corners as the rail goes horizontal, then flowed the 3M product only in the horizontal area. It lays out beautifully flat. I can get some pictures if you like

Old 02-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
schmeed24

I used a couple of tubes of Dynatron from Amazon. The reviews sold me, along with the price.

Amazon.com: Dynatron 550 Auto Seam Sealer Grey... Amazon.com: Dynatron 550 Auto Seam Sealer Grey...
It's been on my drip rail for 6 months and hasn't shrunk and seems really firm. It was also easy to work with in a regular caulking gun. My project is in epoxy still, so I don't have much more input to help you other than that.
schmeed24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:23 AM   #7
Purple67C10

Thanks guys. dfwright some pictures would be great. Thanks. Anybody else?
Old 02-25-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
MARTINSR

Those seam sealers are a good choice but if you want to step up your game go 2K.

http://3mcollision.com/products/seal...ler-08308.html

You can get a manual gun for not a whole lot. The cool thing is it works for so many other things like adhesives and foams.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #9
bcontractor

How do you remove old seam sealer in drip rail..? paint remover ?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #10
MARTINSR

No not paint remover as it will get down into the seams and cause trouble later. Simply scrap it out, a screw driver, what ever. Then a narrow wire brush can get the remaining stuff out and then epoxy prime before re-sealing.

Brian

Old 02-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #11
bcontractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
No not paint remover as it will get down into the seams and cause trouble later. Simply scrap it out, a screw driver, what ever. Then a narrow wire brush can get the remaining stuff out and then epoxy prime before re-sealing.

Brian
Thank you ....The weather is getting nice hear ..so shop time is a must !! 70's day time and 44 at night !!
Old 02-27-2016, 03:09 AM   #12
Purple67C10

That's what I did also to clean it out. I wire brushed it first, then went in with small screw drivers and picks to get the hard to reach sections. It took awhile but I was able to get it all out. Next i will be putting on the epoxy sealer before putting on the new seam sealer.

Martinsr- How well does that heavy body sealer work on the vertical section? Is it easy to tool smooth? What kind of prep work is needed before you can prime over it?
Thanks!
Old 02-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #13
MARTINSR

The vertical ones are a bit tricky but the thick stuff applied thin works. You can also apply a few coats, every once in a while I find myself doing that. But just a scuff with a scuff pad just as you would if you had original sealer there before primeing is fine.

Here is a little article on applying seam sealers that may be of help. http://www.autobodystore.com/seamsealer.shtml

Brian

Old 02-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #14
68c10airstream

I used the 2k products from S.E.M. requires a special application gun that i borrowed from the local body shop. 6 months old and no shrinkage, tooled out nice but sets up fast. It can be added to in stages if you need to build it up. Sands well with a disc sander or by hand. I purchased a flapper disc that is for a 3" high speed grinder. Worked great until i let up on the throttle too quick and it unthreaded from the roloc socket and ran up along side my carotid artery. Boy did life flash through my mind quick as i checked my neck for blood but found none!
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:00 AM   #15
dfwright

Took me a while to get the pictures of the 3M heavy bodied seam sealer. According to my records, I put this on in January/February of 2012, so it's been on there 4 years as of these pics
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #16
bpatrol

i used the eastwood 2k seam sealer. spread awesome and even, and didnt break the bank.
I remember it being a pretty blue, came with special tips to mix and i used a regular gun i believe.
bpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #17
Purple67C10

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I narrowed my decision down to using either the 3M or the S.E.M sealer.
dfwright, those pics look awesome. I hope I can get mine to look that good!
Old 11-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #18
EARNHARDT#3

Reviving an older thread here. But I have another question about resealing the drip rail. When using the self leveling sealer how do you do the vertical part of the drip rail?
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #19
min

It will flow down the vertical part. You just have to keep an eye on the bottom of the drip rail when it runs off the edge.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #20
blackbart63mule

I was gonna use JB weld epoxy, after getting down to bare metal, I see others have used it for all sorts of patching.... feedback, pro's/cons welcome....
blackbart63mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #21
Fandango

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
Reviving an older thread here. But I have another question about resealing the drip rail. When using the self leveling sealer how do you do the vertical part of the drip rail?
I used two different seam sealers for that problem.

I used 3M 08308, heavy bodied sealer for the vertical portion, and up to the horizontal above both doors.

http://3mcollision.com/products/seal...ler-08308.html

Then I came in with the self leveling seam sealer and it flowed, right up to the height of the heavy bodied sealer.
Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #22
Backpayne

I just used the Eastwood self-leveling seam sealer. It was the 1st time I'd ever done thisand it worked great. It was easy to paint over, too. One cartridge was all I needed.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-2k-self-l...cartridge.html
Backpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #23
WhippinSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpayne View Post
I just used the Eastwood self-leveling seam sealer. It was the 1st time I'd ever done thisand it worked great. It was easy to paint over, too. One cartridge was all I needed.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-2k-self-l...cartridge.html
Keep it thin, avoid clogging gutter drains, one tube worked great for me