The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2024, 10:57 AM   #26
KevinK7

Re: Big Block Downpipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967GMCC20 View Post
Took my bbc to exhaust shop, $350 dual exhaust with tail pipes, custom bent. I supplied thrush mufflers..
I'm looking around locally to see if I can find a shop that will/can even do it. IF I find a place to do it even close to that, it will for sure go that route. For $350, that is extremely reasonable. ; )
Old 01-18-2024, 11:07 AM   #27
1967GMCC20

Most any exhaust shop can do it. Probably the simplest update to a truck. In NY you have 500 more exhausts than most of us within a reasonable drive.
1967GMCC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 11:23 AM   #28
KevinK7

Update: Posting as reference for others.
After having no luck finding a local shop I decided to call Waldron's to see if they would sell partial pipes/systems. To my surprise, the answer was YES
I'm not planning to run my system all the way back, I already have a set of Flowmaster mufflers, etc. so the critical piece for me is the DropDowns.
After talking to Ruth (very nice lady at Waldrons she said they can cut the main pipe (that runs from manifold to muffler, ref photo in link) to whatever length I wanted. We decided on 5', so that should be more than enough to get me to where I'm going to place the Flowmasters.

The more I looked at all the bend detail as the pipes exited the manifolds, the more I was thinking it was going to look too "Frankenstein-ish". Getting the dropDowns from Waldron's will make this a whole lot cleaner and for just over $200 will still keep the system in the budget ballpark. Adding here, for pipes larger than 2" (these will be 2.5") they use 14 gauge, which is pretty solid.

https://waldronexhaust.com/product/1...With+Pipes+Cut

Last edited by KevinK7; 02-02-2024 at 11:33 AM.
KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 11:40 AM   #29
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK7 View Post
Update: Posting as reference for others.
After having no luck finding a local shop I decided to call Waldron's to see if they would sell partial pipes/systems. To my surprise, the answer was YES
I'm not planning to run my system all the way back, I already have a set of Flowmaster mufflers, etc. so the critical piece for me is the DropDowns.
After talking to Ruth (very nice lady at Waldrons she said they can cut the main pipe (that runs from manifold to muffler, ref photo in link) to whatever length I wanted. We decided on 5', so that should be more than enough to get me to where I'm going to place the Flowmasters.

The more I looked at all the bend detail as the pipes exited the manifolds, the more I was thinking it was going to look too "Frankenstein-ish". Getting the dropDowns from Waldron's will make this a whole lot cleaner and for just over $200 will still keep the system in the budget ballpark. Adding here, for pipes larger than 2" (these will be 2.5") they use 14 gauge, which is pretty solid.

https://waldronexhaust.com/product/1...With+Pipes+Cut
you're right,Kevin,Waldron's in Michigan does great work.i've used them several times having their parts on my 67 Impala wagon and tailpipes on my 72 big block truck.i worked in a muffler shop a 100 years ago,ran the bender,and made custom stuff everyday.muffler shops are now like rad shops,dissapearing.there is a muffler shop here with a bender and terrified to use it i guess?they order in straight pipe when they need it,none on hand??the world is nuts,a muffler shop with no pipe?like an airline with no airplanes?i deal with Ruth too,super nice.i asked her to have my truck tailpipes made from 2 1/4 rather than 2 inch,$20.00 more but who cares,no big deal and they fit like a glove.i recommend them every time someone asks me about exhaust stuff.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote